Shutout 2020 Thread

Mischief

Hey all,

Now that I have officially been rejected from all of the programs that I applied to, I wanted to start a thread for people who are going through the same thing (both at the MA-level and the PhD-level). I'm hoping that we can use this thread for a few different things:

1. Vent about being shutout specifically--I take it this has a special character
  2. Talk about what we're going to do for our health in light of this
  3. Raise what we hope to do next year now that we know we will not be attending a program in the Fall
  4. Talk about what we plan to do to prepare for next season (if we plan to apply again)
  5. Compile useful information from past threads on this board regarding any of the above
  6. Other stuff I haven't thought of!

I don't want to gate-keep who counts as being "shutout." I will say, as a matter of opinion, that I think having a viable option for attending an MA program or PhD program (say if you applied to PhD's and also MA's as a fallback option, or if you applied to PhD programs but were only admitted to your last choice, or a non-philosophy academic option, and so on) meaningfully distinguish you from people who have no academic options. People's experiences vary, and if you think you can get something out of talking through things in this context ~whateva d00d~

Edited by Mischief

So I'm not officially shutout yet (waiting to hear from McGill and I'm waitlisted for funding at Memphis), but its looking more and more likely. I went to one of the higher-prestige Masters programs (I finished last spring), and most people I know have done pretty well with placement. There's no getting around the fact that getting shutout sucks--I feel for you. Right now I'm trying to proceed as if I would apply out again. So I'm trying to work my writing sample into a publishable article and continuing to read books relevant to my area of study. But its hard to maintain motivation after the long list of rejections. 

I'm in a PhD program, so, I can only say from past experience. First thing you ought to know is that shutouts are much more common than most realize. They can happen for so many different factors - how many schools did you apply to, the choice of schools (fit), the departments funding (sometimes when department has Phd students sticking around for longer than 5-6 years, they tend to have less funding, hence smaller incoming class for that year and others). Second, for you health, don't worry too much. This will give you an opportunity to really work on your application - writing sample, do much in depth research into the departments you want to get in and look for fit more than prestige. If you're able to take a class (audit or something) and work on your philosophical writing. You can also maybe customize your SOP now, since you have time, for each university. Third, if you have a BA, then work anywhere save money and work on application. If you have an MA, try getting adjunct positions at your local college, or community college.

Lastly, and most importantly, reevaluate whether PhD in philosophy is something you truly want. If not, then try to go back to school for something else or getting a job you can enjoy for a while. Philosophy PhD is fun, but more and more it is becoming impossible to get admitted and almost not worth the effort. As I'm sure everyone of us has heard that the job market is non-existent. However,  if YES, then do not worry too much. Definitely sulk, be sad and get through those emotions, but do not let them dictate your life for the next year. This is easy thing to do and get pessimistic. Instead work through those emotions, use them as a motivation to work even harder and make your application the best mf application you ever came up with. there are things out of your control, bull shit prestige that top programs look for, their funding, and who you know bull shit. Other than that, do step 1 and hopefully others on here can offer more advice and words of encouragement.

I was shut out my first time around, but I only applied to 4 schools from the top 20 (because I was ignorant of the process). Next year I applied to 19 and spend a good 5-6 months working on JUST sample paper, and SOP. Re took the GRE and significantly improved my scores. I had at least 5 people read my SOP and SP, not including two professors, so, 7 total. I was lucky enough to know people who were PhD students in English (creative writing, and lit). I also had a high school English teacher read my work. Why? Because if she/he understood what I was saying, then I had the clarity part covered. Read the papers and lectures of the professors you want to work with, so, you truly know their interests and know why you want to work with them. Use this information in your SOP. Anyway, that's it for now.

I suppose I got "shut out", but it doesn't bother me like it does some. My only regret is that I didn't apply to more terminal M.A. programs, because I felt that was a better fit for me anyway. I was told I really should apply to some PhD programs. I'm not dismayed at attending an M.A. I like the program I'm planning to attend, I'll learn an incredible amount, and I'll refine/develop important research, public speaking, time management, and pedagogical skills. Even if I don't go on to pursue a PhD, I'm certain it'll be worthwhile and I have a whole list of organizations I plan to email about internship/employment opportunities and how my research plays into that. Worst case scenario, I'm pretty certain I could get a position teaching at the high school I attended with an M.A. (my sister currently works there, etc.) and I think a graduate program will serve as an excellent springboard into other life plans I am considering. In order to figure out some things personally and intellectually, I really need to pursue in depth study.  Furthermore, I have a good friend from college who is in a PhD program I applied to this season, and she's expressed that she may have been better off in an M.A. program. Finally, I'd rather realize that a philosophy PhD is not for me during the first or second year of an M.A. program than come to the same realization in a PhD program in a very expensive city hundreds or thousands of miles away from my home-state without a car or a back up plan.

On 3/13/2020 at 4:02 PM, salmonroe said:

So I'm not officially shutout yet (waiting to hear from McGill and I'm waitlisted for funding at Memphis), but its looking more and more likely. I went to one of the higher-prestige Masters programs (I finished last spring), and most people I know have done pretty well with placement. There's no getting around the fact that getting shutout sucks--I feel for you. Right now I'm trying to proceed as if I would apply out again. So I'm trying to work my writing sample into a publishable article and continuing to read books relevant to my area of study. But its hard to maintain motivation after the long list of rejections. 

I'm doing something similar with the writing sample I used this time around. I've workshopped it for so long that I don't think there's much room left to make a noteworthy change without simply writing a follow-up paper, but it's clearly not working as a writing sample at the places I've applied to. It's on tap for one more workshop (so long as it isn't cancelled), after which I'm going to start sending it out to journals. The plan now is that I'll keep reviewing broadly successful writing samples and try to reverse engineer what's working in those. Then I'll write a chapter of my MA thesis in the style found in successful samples.

On 3/13/2020 at 4:03 PM, Moose#@1%$ said:

[...] Third, if you have a BA, then work anywhere save money and work on application. If you have an MA, try getting adjunct positions at your local college, or community college.

Lastly, and most importantly, reevaluate whether PhD in philosophy is something you truly want. If not, then try to go back to school for something else or getting a job you can enjoy for a while. Philosophy PhD is fun, but more and more it is becoming impossible to get admitted and almost not worth the effort. As I'm sure everyone of us has heard that the job market is non-existent. However,  if YES, then do not worry too much. Definitely sulk, be sad and get through those emotions, but do not let them dictate your life for the next year. This is easy thing to do and get pessimistic. Instead work through those emotions, use them as a motivation to work even harder and make your application the best mf application you ever came up with. there are things out of your control, bull shit prestige that top programs look for, their funding, and who you know bull shit. Other than that, do step 1 and hopefully others on here can offer more advice and words of encouragement. [...]

Much as I am sad about being shutout, taking a year to work and have actual income is very exciting. I worked for a year between my BA and MA (mostly at or just above minimum wage) and saved a ton of money (used as a stop gap because of poor funding at my current school, and a dedicated "PhD Apps" fund). Your advice about re-evaluating one's commitment to pursuing the PhD is also well taken.

On 3/13/2020 at 4:47 PM, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

[...] Finally, I'd rather realize that a philosophy PhD is not for me during the first or second year of an M.A. program than come to the same realization in a PhD program in a very expensive city hundreds or thousands of miles away from my home-state without a car or a back up plan.

This. I enrolled in a terminal MA specifically because of this fear. Sounds like you're making the right decision!

Edited by Mischief

1 hour ago, Mischief said:

This. I enrolled in a terminal MA specifically because of this fear. Sounds like you're making the right decision!

I'm debating whether to apply to more or not, because honestly only a fully-funded offer at any of them would make sense. In terms of faculty strengths, the only terminal M.A. that was the best fit for me was Georgia State. New Mexico looks to be my best bet by far, and it's the only M.A. program (to my knowledge) that covers my principle areas of interest. If I really want to do a PhD, I want to have a much more thorough background in German Idealism, Marxism, psychoanalysis, etc. first.

For those who are applying again next year, make sure you look into application fee waivers. You may qualify even if you don't think you would. If you're worried about funds, this may enable to you to apply to more schools than you originally budgeted for. My second time I applied out I was surprised I was able to save $200. One thing you gotta watch is the deadlines for these waivers. Sometimes they are only available two months before the app deadline itself. They need time to approve it before you hit "Submit" on your app. (E.g., give you a promo code)

Edited by Duns Eith

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 5:50 AM, Mischief said:

I'm doing something similar with the writing sample I used this time around. I've workshopped it for so long that I don't think there's much room left to make a noteworthy change without simply writing a follow-up paper, but it's clearly not working as a writing sample at the places I've applied to. It's on tap for one more workshop (so long as it isn't cancelled), after which I'm going to start sending it out to journals. The plan now is that I'll keep reviewing broadly successful writing samples and try to reverse engineer what's working in those. Then I'll write a chapter of my MA thesis in the style found in successful samples

This sounds like a strong plan - can I ask where you've found/plan to find successful writing samples?