Which Would You Choose?

PumaDuty

I am currently in the process of deciding between 2 School Psychology PhD programs. I'm having a hard time deciding which is my top choice, so I'd like to hear from others about how you would choose. Also to be considered, I am in my early 30s. I am a woman of color. I'm married. We have no children.  My husband and I haven't lived near family in a very long time, so either program would not keep us close to family.

School A

• In the current city in which we reside. 
  • Offered up to 5 years of guaranteed funding (tuition and 18,000 stipend)
  • Assistantship will cover 21 credits (students typically take 27 credits/year). There is possibility of waiving some coursework because I completed a Masters program with some similar coursework. If I can't waive credits, I may have to pay about 6K out of pocket/yr.
  • Required summer coursework
  • Strong research match with faculty
  • Closer to family, but not really driving distance
  • Loooong winters
  • Took time to warm up with faculty and students. The general vibe during interview day was not super welcoming at the beginning, but shifted throughout the day.
  • Student population did not appear to be racially diverse, but there was a lot of diversity in applicants during interview day. I wonder if that will carry over into the cohort?
  • Much better outcome data (APA internships and licensure)

School B

• Requires a move across the country
  • We would not live in the same city as the program since my husband would likely find work in the nearby big city and traffic into the city would be horrible. I would commute about an hour. There are other students who do this and say that it works fine for them.
  • Guaranteed fellowship for the first year (full tuition and 18K stipend)
  • Guaranteed Assistantship years 2 and 3 (full tuition and less than 15K stipend). Was told that the stipend can be greater based on the assistantship, but that is the guaranteed min.
  • Additional years not guaranteed, but potential advisor suggests most students are funded in the same way as Years 2 and 3, but it is not guaranteed. I confirmed with a current 3rd year student who suggests that all students in the program are funded, regardless of year in the program.
  • No required summer course work
  • Research match is good, but not as strong at School A
  • Very far from family
  • Much better weather
  • Faculty and students were very welcoming and interview day felt very comfortable.
  • Student population appeared to be racially diverse
  • Outcome data is not great

Sounds like your in a pickle. I can’t decide and I have nothing invested in this lol.

seems strange that a program only covers 80% of tuition and not full Tuition remission When they give that large of a stipend. Honestly, the more I look, I think the positives of School A match some of my preferences when I looked for a program. Are they both R1 programs?

I would probably lean towards school A. The outcome data, to me, is really important. It's safer to assume you will be the rule and not the exception in terms of how students fair for internship/licensure/etc. Also, while you don't get full tuition remission in School A, the funding is guaranteed and, while $6k is nothing to sneeze at, it also isn't a terrible amount, especially given the stipend coupled with your husband's salary for living expenses. It also sounds like it would be easier on your husband to not have to relocate and change jobs. 

6 minutes ago, Itzik said:

Sounds like your in a pickle. I can’t decide and I have nothing invested in this lol.

seems strange that a program only covers 80% of tuition and not full Tuition remission When they give that large of a stipend. Honestly, the more I look, I think the positives of School A match some of my preferences when I looked for a program. Are they both R1 programs?

Yes. Both are R1. It is my understanding that the tuition offer (21 credits) is consistent across programs. I'm not sure why this is the case. I wonder if other programs typically take 21 credits/yr?

8 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

I would probably lean towards school A. The outcome data, to me, is really important. It's safer to assume you will be the rule and not the exception in terms of how students fair for internship/licensure/etc. Also, while you don't get full tuition remission in School A, the funding is guaranteed and, while $6k is nothing to sneeze at, it also isn't a terrible amount, especially given the stipend coupled with your husband's salary for living expenses. It also sounds like it would be easier on your husband to not have to relocate and change jobs. 

I appreciate this perspective. Thanks for weighing in!

6 minutes ago, PumaDuty said:

Yes. Both are R1. It is my understanding that the tuition offer (21 credits) is consistent across programs. I'm not sure why this is the case. I wonder if other programs typically take 21 credits/yr?

I would triple check this. Because (from my experience) looking at websites for PhD programs, most takes about if you have a 50% GRA or GTA it equaled tuition remission. However, maybe it is different in school psych PHD programs in comparison to clinical and counseling.

regardless, congrats on having several offers and being able to make a choice! 

1 minute ago, Itzik said:

I would triple check this. Because (from my experience) looking at websites for PhD programs, most takes about if you have a 50% GRA or GTA it equaled tuition remission. However, maybe it is different in school psych PHD programs in comparison to clinical and counseling.

regardless, congrats on having several offers and being able to make a choice! 

I meant across programs within this particular school. Thanks for weighing in.

That's a tough decision to make and it comes down to what is more important to you and what your career goals are. Feel free to PM the school names/PIs and see if I can provide more specific information. 

I wouldn't place as much emphasis on licensure outcomes because school psych PhD students may not necessarily pursue licensure as a psychologist and instead apply to become an NCSP only. Some programs also tend to focus on training researchers who have no interest in pursuing licensure (although increasingly faculty positions require/recommend licensure).

You may also want to consider practicum opportunities available. Some programs encourage getting clinical experiences for one of the practicums to increase chances of matching to an APA-accredited internship (although it remains more difficult for school psych compared to clinical/counseling psych). 

Is summer coursework required throughout all 3-4 years for School A? Worth considering if you want to do some other activities (e.g., just relax, do research, work at a summer camp etc.)