Where can I find Research Assistant Jobs?

EmmaJeanB

I graduate next month with my M.S. I was rejected from all 4 PhD schools I applied to so now I am trying to find research assistant jobs. But I am so lost! Do I check job sites like Indeed/LinkedIn? Should I email the POI's I was in contact with before receiving my rejection letters?

I know many people in a similar situation, sorry you feel lost. From what I have heard, you have captured the bulk of what you can do. You should look through job search sites as with any other line of work, and enquire where you are qualified. Other than that, it can often be useful to put yourself out there and enquire with the appropriate faculty. Often this may not lead to anything, unfortunately, but it can be successful, this can be helped by networking, connections, and references which can justify your enquiry even further. And of course, apply to PhDs again when the time comes again if this is your passion. 

I hope this helps, and I hope you manage to find something!

On 4/2/2020 at 11:24 AM, EmmaJeanB said:

I graduate next month with my M.S. I was rejected from all 4 PhD schools I applied to so now I am trying to find research assistant jobs. But I am so lost! Do I check job sites like Indeed/LinkedIn? 

EJB--

Yes. Expand your search pattern to include jobs and internships that will allow you to use the skills you currently have and can acquire quickly. (I am thinking about data visualization using ArcGIS.) Cast your net wide enough to include consultancies that support planning and development of the built environment.

On 4/2/2020 at 11:24 AM, EmmaJeanB said:

Should I email the POI's I was in contact with before receiving my rejection letters?

Yes. Please do what you can to be as tactful--calm, cool, and collected--as you can be. I recommend that you start by thanking the POI for what ever support, information, and encouragement that she offered during the application process. Express your regret about not having been able to earn the opportunity to work with her this year. Then pivot towards a well phrased request for guidance on how to be a more competitive applicant next season. 

I recommend that this request be phrased after you've outlined a plan that you intend to execute regardless. This plan should include the objective of getting some research experience. Describe the types of jobs you have in mind, if not also the institutions. Here, you pose subtly a question like "Are there any programs that I have not mentioned that you'd recommend?"

If the reader is paying attention she will understand the ask behind the ask.. 

Meanwhile, do all you can to keep your spirits up. If an activity helps your mood and it's sustainable, do it. If an activity is unsustainable and/or doesn't help, consider putting it aside.

Keep in mind that there are threads on this BB that were active during the Great Recession. You may find tips and tactics for coping that are applicable now. (You will kindly ignore some of the grumpier posts written by those of us who are still here. I would also spend time reading @TMP's posts- which are a testament of courage in the face of adversity.

If you are interested in agency work, you might want to check USA jobs. They have some positions designed to be filled by recent grads (I think you get two years from graduation) which should help decrease the number of your competitors.

Good luck!

QM