Tuition Cost/Rant/Advice

So I would say I decided on applying to grad school much later in the app season than others and I only recently discovered this site. I wanted to stay home in order to save money so I really limited myself to researching schools that were local to me (CSUF, CSULB, Redlands, Chapman). I ended up being accepted at the two private universities, Redlands & Chapman, and waitlisted at the other two.  I was really hoping to get into a state school. Although I love both schools I was accepted into, I don't think I fully processed the large tuition cost when I was applying (silly me lol). It goes without saying that I am beyond thankful to have been accepted into grad school as a first time applicant and grateful to even have choices. I guess in retrospect I just wish that I had taken the time to be more realistic about cost, do more research, and consider more options, even out of state schools, because I am now realizing that even some out of state school tuitions combined with the cost of living would probably be cheaper than the schools I was accepted to. I also wish that I had done more research into schools that are generous with giving out scholarships and funding. I wish someone had told me this when I was applying to schools, so for future applicants, I hope that you don't limit yourself based on location and hopefully you consider multiple options and do thorough research. (Although, I would assume most people on this site already knew this.) This is all coming from someone who is feeling a little overwhelmed at the cost of grad school. Can anyone relate lol 

I feel you 100% on that, especially because I have significant loans from undergrad. I actually chose to withdraw my app from Chapman because I didn't even want to get in and have to turn it down for financial reasons. It's really a shame how expensive they can justify marking tuition. 

I also applied later than other people and I found that my choices were limited. I did apply to a lot of places still because I just wanted to get in and as I got into private colleges I realized HOW expensive their tuition was. I was lucky to get into a state school

I literally applied to at the last minute. It turned out that I loved it. Even planning for state school living and tuition plus my undergrad loans is stressful. One program I really wanted to get into was 100k just for tuition. I don’t understand how colleges can charge that much.

You can look into state scholarships or try to find employers that are willing to pay some portion of your graduate debt for x years of service. There are also companies that offer tuition reimbursement (usually only up to 5250/year because that's the maximum per employee for tax benefits) if you work during graduate school for them. 

For California residents:

1. The Advanced Practice Health Scholarship: Those awarded the scholarship can receive up to 25k for one year of school. If awarded, you have to agree to a 12 month service obligation (full-time) direct patient care at a qualified facility in CA. It can be awarded up to 3 times. This application cycle is closed, but you can try next year. https://oshpd.ca.gov/loans-scholarships-grants/scholarships/aphsp/

2. The Baldwin Scholarship (from the Scottish Rite Foundation): 6k grant for 1 year. The application cycle closed, but you can try to apply for it next year.

Edited by Blondie!
Added information

I hear you on cost of schools! I am trying to decide between private school and public state school as well! I was blown away by the private school and left feeling unsure about the state school. I fortunately do not have any debt but still know that this'll be a lot for the future! I am trying to look into the public school more so I don't just decide because of the cost but haven't found much about the program online. Any advice for someone considering between the two? 

State school: CSULB

Private School: Biola

On 4/9/2020 at 4:08 PM, MadisonMachelle said:

I feel you 100% on that, especially because I have significant loans from undergrad. I actually chose to withdraw my app from Chapman because I didn't even want to get in and have to turn it down for financial reasons. It's really a shame how expensive they can justify marking tuition. 

That was wise of you and I'm sure someone else appreciated the opportunity to get into Chapman as a result.  It really is a shame. Congratulations on CSULB!!

On 4/9/2020 at 4:21 PM, Cece93 said:

I also applied later than other people and I found that my choices were limited. I did apply to a lot of places still because I just wanted to get in and as I got into private colleges I realized HOW expensive their tuition was. I was lucky to get into a state school

I literally applied to at the last minute. It turned out that I loved it. Even planning for state school living and tuition plus my undergrad loans is stressful. One program I really wanted to get into was 100k just for tuition. I don’t understand how colleges can charge that much.

100k is so insane. It's ridiculous. I feel you on the stress, but I'm glad it worked out for you! :) 

On 4/10/2020 at 12:50 PM, Blondie! said:

You can look into state scholarships or try to find employers that are willing to pay some portion of your graduate debt for x years of service. There are also companies that offer tuition reimbursement (usually only up to 5250/year because that's the maximum per employee for tax benefits) if you work during graduate school for them. 

For California residents:

1. The Advanced Practice Health Scholarship: Those awarded the scholarship can receive up to 25k for one year of school. If awarded, you have to agree to a 12 month service obligation (full-time) direct patient care at a qualified facility in CA. It can be awarded up to 3 times. This application cycle is closed, but you can try next year. https://oshpd.ca.gov/loans-scholarships-grants/scholarships/aphsp/

2. The Baldwin Scholarship (from the Scottish Rite Foundation): 6k grant for 1 year. The application cycle closed, but you can try to apply for it next year.

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing this information. I will definitely look into these for the next year. 

On 4/10/2020 at 2:07 PM, speechlangpathOC said:

I hear you on cost of schools! I am trying to decide between private school and public state school as well! I was blown away by the private school and left feeling unsure about the state school. I fortunately do not have any debt but still know that this'll be a lot for the future! I am trying to look into the public school more so I don't just decide because of the cost but haven't found much about the program online. Any advice for someone considering between the two? 

State school: CSULB

Private School: Biola

Yes, I definitely understand you. Luckily, I also came out of undergrad debt free, but for that same reason taking out such large loans for my first time is even more the scarier.  

Out of the schools I applied for I also had the most difficulty finding information about CSULB, which was disappointing. Their website was underwhelming. Some of the info that I got from the interview open house:

-it's a 5 semester program, no summers, and you don't have to take any extra classes (in case you were a post-bac student)
-they have a multicultural emphasis & offer a bilingual certificate I believe 
-they have on site clinics & you also get 2 off site clinic placements 
-mon-thurs classes, with classes usually being in the morning and clinic after
-they mentioned there being an open door policy with professors and an emphasis on collaboration 
-the current students that spoke about their experience all seemed to be happy with the program (but this seems to be the case at every school lol) 

You probably already heard this information as well, but sharing just in case. Idk about Biola, but in my case Chapman had an abundance of organized and detailed information on their website, which was very appealing. I wondered if CSULB maybe was lacking this because they're a state school and might be tighter for funds? But even CSUF had a lot more information on their website.  Anyway, I know it's a tough decision, especially when you're paying so much, but good luck! It gets said a lot, but at the end of the day I'm sure we'll get out of any program what we put into it. 

I know personally I chose the state university versus the private university because I did have undergraduate debt and wanted to try and minimize the amount of graduate debt I would generate. I also looked at cost of living that was a big factor to me too. But it's insane the amount of tuition schools want to charge. Some schools cost 3x more per credit hour than mine. That adds up!!! I think it's responsible that you are being so considerate of cost.