Speech Pathology vs Social Work

Hi!

I'm in a predicament and don't know who to turn to except this forum where I've been active for the past two years. My dream is to work at a hospital as a speech pathologist. I only received rejections in 2019, so I decided to apply for social work programs as well. I got accepted to Case Western Reserve for social work with a large scholarship. I sent in my acceptance  a week ago. However, I just got off the waitlist from Yeshiva University. Their program is $1,300 a credit, and they offered me a $5000 scholarship. It's more financially feasible to go to school for social work, but my heart has always been in speech. Plus, speech pathologists make a lot more than social workers.

What do you think?

Social work and speech are both really good career choices! You shouldn't necessarily look at the cost of the programs since speech pathology has jobs everywhere. You will get a job to pay off those loans, and sometimes loans are unavoidable regardless of the program. Maybe make a pros vs cons list for each profession to see what interests you about both? If speech pathology is your passion I would go with speech pathology.

When I was in high school I was interested in social work but I have always known speech pathology had everything I'd ever hoped for in a profession. What's drawing you to social work? If it's only the cost I would go with speech pathology. Both programs are competitive but both professions are also needed. Congratulations on getting into social work programs and the large scholarships you've earned! 

I would maybe consider branching out your search for speech pathology programs if you aren't geographically bound maybe apply out of state. 

I considered both too! If I had gone into social work, I wouldn't have needed an extra year of school to get my second bachelor's in communication disorders. I also feel like social work is very flexible, and there is a lot you can do as a social worker! Ultimately I decided to go into speech pathology, mainly for the higher salary. I teach now and didn't want to go to grad school for two years to make a lower salary than I make teaching!  I also felt like I didn't have the super caring, calm, empathetic demeanor that good social workers have and so ultimately wouldn't be good in the field. There are pros and cons to both though. Just think about what you really want to do more!

Speech-Language Pathology hands down. 

Of course money isn't everything (you would make more as an SLP) but being an SLP is super rewarding too! Social work has a much higher turnover rate because it's a tough job--mentally and emotionally. We definitely need social workers but as far as versatility goes, you could do so many different things with SLP (especially in a hospital setting). Also, let's say you work as an SLP for awhile and decide you would rather transition to social work, it might be easier going that way--instead of social work to SLP.

Hope this is helpful!

Congrats!! It feels good getting into grad school! My advice is to go with your dream. You’ve come this far. I was thinking about social work and even a BCBA because I wouldn’t have needed to take prerequisites but everyone in my life pushed me to and I was accepted into a Speech masters program. It’s what I can see myself doing in the long run. What do you see yourself doing 10 years from now? Social work or speech? You honestly can’t go wrong with either one. 

@dasher44 Congratulations! I really hope I hear something from them soon. FMU was my first choice but being that I haven't seen anything come through then maybe my interview didn't go as well as I had thought! Best of luck to you in the program!