2021 Application Thread

dr. t

8 minutes ago, samiwas said:

Hello all, just coming to say that I wound up hearing back from U Chicago today. No official offer, but heard from POI that I had been accepted. Seems like I might be one of the earlier ones to find out, and that more news will be coming in the next few days.

FWIW, I was not asked to interview after turning in my application, as others have been.

Best of luck to those still waiting! And thanks for the posting and encouragement these last few weeks. It has been a struggle this year, knowing I was not alone made the difference :)

Congratulations! May I ask what your field is?

53 minutes ago, star21 said:

Thank you! I'm in the US, two hours ahead of California. It was definitely an odd time. I'm not sure about the status of applications or if they've sent out all acceptances though. I'm in Latin American History.

Ah okay, so you are central time zone! All my fam is in Texas so I’m always calculating minus 6 hours from here in UK to there. Good to know - I’m US history. 

39 minutes ago, samiwas said:

Hello all, just coming to say that I wound up hearing back from U Chicago today. No official offer, but heard from POI that I had been accepted. Seems like I might be one of the earlier ones to find out, and that more news will be coming in the next few days.

FWIW, I was not asked to interview after turning in my application, as others have been.

Best of luck to those still waiting! And thanks for the posting and encouragement these last few weeks. It has been a struggle this year, knowing I was not alone made the difference :)

Congrats!! That’s great news and also somewhat reassuring in regards to the interview aspect. And thanks for letting us know news will be coming in the next few days. What is your field? ?

OMG! How did I not notice this thread was in the forum! 

So happy to be here! 

I applied to the PhD in US History at UT Austin, Yale, UIC, and Notre Dame. 

It's a no for ND and I'm sure it's a no for all the other ones because I haven't heard from them. Would that be accurate to say?  

6 minutes ago, CafeConGabi said:

So happy to be here! 

It's a no for ND and I'm sure it's a no for all the other ones because I haven't heard from them. Would that be accurate to say?  

UT Austin gets back super late, like end of February/first week of March, so don’t worry about them at all! 
Yale I think will get back sooner - maybe end of this week but definitely in the next 2-3 weeks! 
I have no idea about University Illinois Chicago, I applied to Urbana Champaign and I think their results should be out soon too!
so don’t despair just yet! Good luck!

7 minutes ago, scarletwitch said:

UT Austin gets back super late, like end of February/first week of March, so don’t worry about them at all! 
Yale I think will get back sooner - maybe end of this week but definitely in the next 2-3 weeks! 
I have no idea about University Illinois Chicago, I applied to Urbana Champaign and I think their results should be out soon too!
so don’t despair just yet! Good luck!

Phew! Well, I guess there's still hope. Thank you! 

Like the groundhog, I checked for acceptance emails today. There were none, so that means six more weeks of winter. Or something like that...

Actually, I'm curious if anyone out there heard from UIUC. I wouldn't be surprised if their acceptances went out last week and their rejections came through tomorrow. Granted, this is just speculation based on the data from last year.

Northwestern rejected me on Saturday. Vanderbilt, UIUC, and BU, are the programs I ended up applying to. Just an Americanist waiting to hear back this cycle.

1 hour ago, scarletwitch said:

Ah okay, so you are central time zone! All my fam is in Texas so I’m always calculating minus 6 hours from here in UK to there. Good to know - I’m US history. 

Yeah, I'm actually in Texas myself. I don't know the other posters' fields but they could be going by fields? So maybe you'll hear back still? Good luck with everything though and I hope you hear something soon.

2 minutes ago, Strider_2931 said:

Like the groundhog, I checked for acceptance emails today. There were none, so that means six more weeks of winter. Or something like that...

Actually, I'm curious if anyone out there heard from UIUC. I wouldn't be surprised if their acceptances went out last week and their rejections came through tomorrow. Granted, this is just speculation based on the data from last year.

Northwestern rejected me on Saturday. Vanderbilt, UIUC, and BU, are the programs I ended up applying to. Just an Americanist waiting to hear back this cycle.

Haven’t heard from UIUC yet but since there are no entries at all on the survey I think they probably haven’t released anything yet. A lot of places are a bit behind this year. 

Vanderbilt gave out 5-7 acceptances Friday so unfortunately if you didn’t hear then there won’t be good news from them. My POI emailed me back Monday letting me know while I was a strong candidate the spaces were limited this year. 

Best of luck, I’m an Americanist too ?

1 hour ago, CafeConGabi said:

So happy to be here! 

Based on my email with the department, UIC should be middle to end of this month with A LOT of waitlist activity afterwards.

The good news is that they're still taking a normal sized cohort.

Also an Americanist (recovering medievalist, if you can believe it), focus on urban and policy history.

Edited by TagRendar

8 minutes ago, TagRendar said:

Based on my email with the department, UIC should be middle to end of this month with A LOT of waitlist activity afterwards.

The good news is that they're still taking a normal sized cohort.

Also an Americanist (recovering medievalist, if you can believe it), focus on urban and policy history.

Hahaha! Recovering medievalist...

Well, I am sure glad to hear that. Do you know if UIC does interviews? I emailed the POI in September but that's all the contact I've had.  

Just now, CafeConGabi said:

Hahaha! Recovering medievalist...

Well, I am sure glad to hear that. Do you know if UIC does interviews? I emailed the POI in September but that's all the contact I've had.  

Based on what I've heard, they don't, no.  It sounded like they are in the process of reviewing all of the files now.

Hey guys 

has anyone else applied to Princeton? Just realised no one has mentioned it on here unless I overlooked the post. 

I thought maybe Yale would come out this week but I saw someone got an interview last week so maybe not? 

Good luck everyone and remember that no matter how many times you refresh your emails, it won’t make the email come faster...

24 minutes ago, flowersandcoffee said:

Hey guys 

has anyone else applied to Princeton? Just realised no one has mentioned it on here unless I overlooked the post. 

I thought maybe Yale would come out this week but I saw someone got an interview last week so maybe not? 

Good luck everyone and remember that no matter how many times you refresh your emails, it won’t make the email come faster...

True story re: the refreshing email.

I did not apply to Princeton or Yale (though if I don't make it in this cycle, I might cast my net wider and see what happens...) but I do find myself at this point remarkably zen about the waiting.  Maybe it's the two rejects and coming to peace with the fact that maybe I won't make it into any school this cycle (this being said, I really hope that's not the case).

Good luck to those who have applied to Princeton and Yale!  The campus at Yale is very cool and the environs around the campus are very walkable in my recollection.

Not expecting a positive result but has anybody heard anything from Harvard? The results page has one rejection (by the person's POI) and a waitlist. I know it is going be a brutally small acceptance number but I thought we would have heard something after 2 months. I know the Committee on Religion does not interview but does any one know if History interviews?

Edited by beorn1968

Hello everyone! I’m a longtime lurker who just wanted to create an account to wish you all the best of luck in the coming weeks! This is my second year applying but this year is certainly more stressful given the uncertainties around COVID so stay strong everyone!

My focus is 20th century American history, with an emphasis on political history (specifically the welfare state/social policy and public policy more generally). 

I’ve applied to Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Duke, Stanford, Wisconsin and Michigan for history, and Berkeley for political science.

Fingers crossed we start getting results soon!

Edited by Ryan_The_Grogu_Fan

I know we're all still a long ways out from making decisions, but I'm curious to hear some of your perspectives on choosing a program at a public vs. private institution. I applied to a good mix, and although the programs at state universities all guarantee full funding, I am increasingly concerned about the resources and security grad students might be able to access there in coming years. Several students at the private institutions I've applied to have pointed to their stipends and overall excellent access to research funding, summer support, and fellowships as defining factors of their experiences.

That said, I have also seen users on this forum talk about how much that support differs between various private institutions. I'd appreciate any perspectives from current students or other applicants currently weighing these factors. 

Hi everyone! 

Found this site yesterday as I was wondering when I would hear back from US schools about History PhDs; this newfound wealth of information sure has added a lot of stress! Moreover, it seems like positive decisions may come out very soon and rejections shortly after. That's why I would like to wish everyone good luck! 

About me: 

Interested in 20th century African History (Congolese history specifically)

Belgian (fluent in English, Dutch and French)

BA History and IR from a top-10 University in the UK, MSc Political Science from the top university in the Netherlands and another MSc with Distinction in History from London School of Economics and Political Science where I also won the prize for best MSc thesis across all departments.

No publications (one is in the works) and not much contact with the POIs as many never replied to my emails (this will hurt my chances I am sure). 

I applied to Yale, Boston University, Wisconsin-Madison, and Harvard (lol)

Good luck!

Edited by brownrose95

9 hours ago, flowersandcoffee said:

Hey guys 

Hi there,

I applied to Princeton! I'm fairly certain their results will come out next week. Their website says mid-February and past results almost always come out the second week of February! So definitely will either be next week or the following week - but most likely it'll be next week.

Reckon Yale will be fairly soon also - acceptances last few years have been early-mid Feb! 

Good luck! :) 

7 hours ago, Ryan_The_Grogu_Fan said:

Hello everyone! I’m a longtime lurker who just wanted to create an account to wish you all the best of luck in the coming weeks! This is my second year applying but this year is certainly more stressful given the uncertainties around COVID so stay strong everyone!

My focus is 20th century American history, with an emphasis on political history (specifically the welfare state/social policy and public policy more generally). 

I’ve applied to Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Duke, Stanford, Wisconsin and Michigan for history, and Berkeley for political science.

Fingers crossed we start getting results soon!

Hi there, I'm a modern Americanist too! Wishing you good luck! 

Have also applied to Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Duke, Wisconsin, Michigan & Berkeley, plus several more as you can see from my signature ? Have only heard back from Vanderbilt so far which was a reject despite my POI saying I was a very strong candidate - they only accepted 5 students this year so I can't be too bummed. 

I'm hoping we might get some results end of week, but reckon next week and the following week is when we will see more results released!! I emailed Duke yesterday and they said they're currently reviewing applications, will get back in next couple weeks. I'm guessing the next to release results would be Wisconsin-Madison - perhaps they'll get back at the end of the week! Berkeley I think may have given some offers out already but I don't know for which field. 

Hi everyone! 

So I recently got waitlisted at my top choice university. Although it is great that I was waitlisted, I am gutted that I was not the first pick. I wanted to ask a question if it is ethical to reach out to the other interviewees, ask if they got the offer, and how likely they are to take that offer? Or would that be inappropriate? 

Any input would be helpful as I deal with the pain of being waitlisted. I am fairly certain that I will not get off this waitlist in the upcoming months. 

12 minutes ago, clinical.psych said:

Hi everyone! 

So I recently got waitlisted at my top choice university. Although it is great that I was waitlisted, I am gutted that I was not the first pick. I wanted to ask a question if it is ethical to reach out to the other interviewees, ask if they got the offer, and how likely they are to take that offer? Or would that be inappropriate? 

Any input would be helpful as I deal with the pain of being waitlisted. I am fairly certain that I will not get off this waitlist in the upcoming months. 

I think if you find someone who has gotten an offer from this first choice university you could have a conversation with them only if they are willing and comfortable to do so. It's still early so they may also be waiting on some other decisions and thus may not have made up their mind yet. Best of luck with getting off the waitlist!

6 hours ago, clinical.psych said:

Hi everyone! 

I kind of think this is inappropriate. People are just starting to get very early decisions back, and there are a lot of personal and important decisions to be made. The last thing anyone needs is a stranger on the internet (consciously or not) adding pressure to that process. Give it a few weeks and let people figure things out. Some waitlist spots will inevitably open up somewhere and we just have to wait it out.

Just now, aco2 said:

I kind of think this is inappropriate. People are just starting to get very early decisions back, and there are a lot of personal and important decisions to be made. The last thing anyone needs is a stranger on the internet (consciously or not) adding pressure to that process. Give it a few weeks and let people figure things out. Some waitlist spots will inevitably open up somewhere and we just have to wait it out.

Got to agree with this point. You don't want to give the impression that you're pressuring someone not to accept an offer. That should be their decision to make independently and without external influences. I know that isn't what you are trying to do, but it may be perceived that way. Best to just wait, as agonizing as that can be. Wishing you luck.