2021 Application Thread

dr. t

Is anyone else finding it kind of funny when on the results page for 'History' all these Art History results also pop up? :)  In some ways it's interesting because I've seen some universities like UW Madison releasing their results for Art History in the last few days so hoping that means History won't be too long now. I know UW Madison released their Political Science results a week or so ago because it was mentioned on another thread I follow.

Edited by scarletwitch

9 minutes ago, aco2 said:

I kind of think this is inappropriate. People are just starting to get very early decisions back, and there are a lot of personal and important decisions to be made. The last thing anyone needs is a stranger on the internet (consciously or not) adding pressure to that process. Give it a few weeks and let people figure things out. Some waitlist spots will inevitably open up somewhere and we just have to wait it out.

6 minutes ago, wfchasson said:

Got to agree with this point. You don't want to give the impression that you're pressuring someone not to accept an offer. That should be their decision to make independently and without external influences. I know that isn't what you are trying to do, but it may be perceived that way. Best to just wait, as agonizing as that can be. Wishing you luck. 

So I shouldn't do it then? I'm getting a mixed feeling between not asking them at all or just waiting a few weeks/month before asking them. I totally understand your answers and I am not trying to dismiss them - just want to make sure I am comprehending right so I don't mess up. Thanks!

1 minute ago, clinical.psych said:

So I shouldn't do it then? I'm getting a mixed feeling between not asking them at all or just waiting a few weeks/month before asking them. I totally understand your answers and I am not trying to dismiss them - just want to make sure I am comprehending right so I don't mess up. Thanks!

I wouldn't. Just wait it out, and you'll get off the waitlist or you won't. It sucks, but you can at least bask in the joy of making it onto the waitlist to begin with! That is an accomplishment, especially this season! 

4 minutes ago, clinical.psych said:

Where did you get waitlisted? Good luck! The waiting sucks, but like other posters said, still an accomplishment:)

16 minutes ago, clinical.psych said:

I also probably would not... and echo what other people said: intentions aside, it might come across the wrong way. Waiting is hard, but there are some actions that could be helpful for you (if only give you some clarity)! I've copied what I found helpful from last year's thread.

"Procedures vary from one program to another.  You should ask the DGS at [your university] how it works there AND cc your POI.  Be sure to emphasize your interest in the program and how it's your top choice. If they say it's a ranked waitlist, ask where you stand. Stay in touch, especially after visitation day [and/or ask if you can attend -- or whatever that may look like this year] at [your university] (whenever it is...)."

But also, search "waitlist" in some of the earlier cycles' threads. You'll find some additional good advice. 

I was on a waitlist a few years ago that went down to April 14th and it was maddening (and I didn't get in!). Solidarity and fingers crossed for you. 

13 hours ago, coffeehum said:

I know we're all still a long ways out from making decisions, but I'm curious to hear some of your perspectives on choosing a program at a public vs. private institution. I applied to a good mix, and although the programs at state universities all guarantee full funding, I am increasingly concerned about the resources and security grad students might be able to access there in coming years. Several students at the private institutions I've applied to have pointed to their stipends and overall excellent access to research funding, summer support, and fellowships as defining factors of their experiences.

That said, I have also seen users on this forum talk about how much that support differs between various private institutions. I'd appreciate any perspectives from current students or other applicants currently weighing these factors. 

hi @coffeehum! I think you're asking some very good questions re: state of the academy and are right to point out the differences in institutional support in public vs. private and even among individual private institutions themselves. It is easy to generalize "public" vs "private", but I think that the question ultimately boils down to "which institutions have the best ability to support me in all aspects of my career as a scholar"".

I think that the best way to weigh your options when the time comes is to compare funding packages and have conversations with faculty and graduate students in the department to figure out what institutional support there is to support both your research expenses/experiences (guaranteed summer funding, language learning funding, internal fellowships, connections to certain research institutions, etc.) while you attend as well as looking at recent career outcomes for graduates of that program. Are they post-docs? Are they in a lecture contract at their PhD-granting institutions? Do they pivot out of the academy entirely? 

I'd also suggest not to let "fully-funded" trick you into believing that it must be living wage at the school you'd like to attend. The same stipend will go much further in Michigan than it would in California. I'm sure if you look back in the forum there's a lot of wisdom on how to discern financially -- and I'd also point you toward the pinned thread of funding packages on the forum. 

50 minutes ago, mercuetio said:

hi @coffeehum! I think you're asking some very good questions re: state of the academy and are right to point out the differences in institutional support in public vs. private and even among individual private institutions themselves. It is easy to generalize "public" vs "private", but I think that the question ultimately boils down to "which institutions have the best ability to support me in all aspects of my career as a scholar"".

I think that the best way to weigh your options when the time comes is to compare funding packages and have conversations with faculty and graduate students in the department to figure out what institutional support there is to support both your research expenses/experiences (guaranteed summer funding, language learning funding, internal fellowships, connections to certain research institutions, etc.) while you attend as well as looking at recent career outcomes for graduates of that program. Are they post-docs? Are they in a lecture contract at their PhD-granting institutions? Do they pivot out of the academy entirely? 

I'd also suggest not to let "fully-funded" trick you into believing that it must be living wage at the school you'd like to attend. The same stipend will go much further in Michigan than it would in California. I'm sure if you look back in the forum there's a lot of wisdom on how to discern financially -- and I'd also point you toward the pinned thread of funding packages on the forum. 

Hi! Your insight on this is much appreciated, thank you for giving me so much to think through. Shifting away from taking "fully funded" at its face value to considering cost of living, placement rates, research support, and other monetary and non-monetary forms of support seems like the most important step I need to take now. I've found it difficult to discern between programs that have a lot of money in the pot and programs that are smart and effective about distributing their money and resources for students, but your advice is helping me figure out what kinds of questions to ask. 

1 hour ago, mercuetio said:

This is fabulous advice, much of which I've been considering. I have another questions for folks with some experience:

How valuable is a fellowship? There are two different programs that I'm considering. One offers 5 years of guaranteed funding with 1 year on fellowship, while the other offers 4 years of guaranteed funding with 2 years on fellowship. Is it a no brainer to take the guaranteed additional year of funding?

10 hours ago, clinical.psych said:

Hi everyone! 

So I recently got waitlisted at my top choice university. Although it is great that I was waitlisted, I am gutted that I was not the first pick. I wanted to ask a question if it is ethical to reach out to the other interviewees, ask if they got the offer, and how likely they are to take that offer? Or would that be inappropriate? 

Any input would be helpful as I deal with the pain of being waitlisted. I am fairly certain that I will not get off this waitlist in the upcoming months. 

No, this wouldn't be appropriate. 

To @coffeehum question of private vs public: In my case there wasn't much choice because private universities tend to have more funding for public ones for international students. 

Hi everyone! My first real post here, though I've been a longtime stalker of this thread.

I do Irish history (in the U.S.) with a concentration on migration and Irish America. I'm finishing up my MA with a 3.96 GPA. I've been a TA for two years, and have 4 years of experience as a research assistant. For what it's worth, I also have 2 conferences on the ole CV. I feel pretty confident in my writing sample and LoR.

I applied to 10 schools, and I've heard back from 2. Both were acceptances, with funding TBD. 

I'm really struggling with anxiety as I await news on the remaining 8 schools and the funding. I'm a FGLI student, and the imposter syndrome has reared its ugly head again. I compulsively check my email even though I have so much that I should be working on instead. I can't get over this nervous feeling that I won't get any decent acceptances with funding. 

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! ?

24 minutes ago, cakeandcats said:

Hi everyone! My first real post here, though I've been a longtime stalker of this thread.

I do Irish history (in the U.S.) with a concentration on migration and Irish America. I'm finishing up my MA with a 3.96 GPA. I've been a TA for two years, and have 4 years of experience as a research assistant. For what it's worth, I also have 2 conferences on the ole CV. I feel pretty confident in my writing sample and LoR.

I applied to 10 schools, and I've heard back from 2. Both were acceptances, with funding TBD. 

I'm really struggling with anxiety as I await news on the remaining 8 schools and the funding. I'm a FGLI student, and the imposter syndrome has reared its ugly head again. I compulsively check my email even though I have so much that I should be working on instead. I can't get over this nervous feeling that I won't get any decent acceptances with funding. 

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! ?

Where were you accepted? Congrats on the offers!!! 

5 minutes ago, jocelynbymarcjacobs said:

Where were you accepted? Congrats on the offers!!! 

The University of Edinburgh and Florida State University. I'm incredibly excited about both, though still anxious to hear about funding. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, HRL said:

Just seeing a second person admitted to UChicago today. Is that person on this thread by chance? Would be really curious to know which field. 

That's me! Just heard back! Roughly, I am history of science/ medicine and dealing with reception of classical medical ideas in the early modern period. 

6 minutes ago, aco2 said:

That's me! Just heard back! Roughly, I am history of science/ medicine and dealing with reception of classical medical ideas in the early modern period. 

Ah that's awesome! Congratulations!! 

It sounds like your POI said the other offers will be going out really soon, possibly even tomorrow? 

4 hours ago, exitiumax said:

This is fabulous advice, much of which I've been considering. I have another questions for folks with some experience:

How valuable is a fellowship? There are two different programs that I'm considering. One offers 5 years of guaranteed funding with 1 year on fellowship, while the other offers 4 years of guaranteed funding with 2 years on fellowship. Is it a no brainer to take the guaranteed additional year of funding?

Take the fifth year.

19 hours ago, coffeehum said:

I know we're all still a long ways out from making decisions, but I'm curious to hear some of your perspectives on choosing a program at a public vs. private institution. I applied to a good mix, and although the programs at state universities all guarantee full funding, I am increasingly concerned about the resources and security grad students might be able to access there in coming years. Several students at the private institutions I've applied to have pointed to their stipends and overall excellent access to research funding, summer support, and fellowships as defining factors of their experiences.

That said, I have also seen users on this forum talk about how much that support differs between various private institutions. I'd appreciate any perspectives from current students or other applicants currently weighing these factors. 

IMO I'd factor in whether or not the school has a strong faculty and/or graduate student union. A strong union makes it more difficult for the university (private or public- neither is immune) to throw grad students under the bus.

Also, FWIW, I had 3 years of fellowship at a public university and a decent amount of summer support. A lot of the stuff that you mention, like funding, summer support, fellowships, etc., aren't automatic outflows of private vs public status. It also has to do with departmental resources, the department's position vis-a-vis other departments, the availability of various pots of money, grant-funded initiatives, and so on. Every school is different.

4 minutes ago, HRL said:

Ah that's awesome! Congratulations!! 

It sounds like your POI said the other offers will be going out really soon, possibly even tomorrow? 

Thanks! I got the impression that I could expect my official offer and funding info possibly that soon, but I don't know if that's true for all admitted students, or if they're doing it person by person? That said, I do think the adcomm has made their decisions, so hopefully it will be sooner than later! 

5 hours ago, exitiumax said:

if School X offers you 5 years of funding with 1 year of fellowship, but you really want to go to School Y with 4 years of funding, tell School Y that you're weighing decisions and that you've been offered this package from School X.

That'll put some pressure on School Y to sweeten the deal.  Trust me, there *is* money lying around in between couch cushions of the gigantic university bureaucracy.

Just got waitlisted at Berkelely. Having very mixed feelings about this. Berkelely was my top choice, and I'm certainly glad they didn't reject me outright, but It's still upsetting news to receive, especially since I am currently stuck in mandatory quarantine and away from all of my friends and family. 

I am still waiting to hear back from four other schools, but I was wondering when it's appropriate to reach out to the faculty members I spoke with at Berkeley for more info on the waitlist (ranked? by field? # of people? can I even ask these question?) and on the program (funding info, etc in case I do get off the waitlist and have to make a decision?). Advice is always appreciated, and I hope everyone else is staying safe and sane! 

10 minutes ago, bakeseal said:

Just got waitlisted at Berkelely. Having very mixed feelings about this. Berkelely was my top choice, and I'm certainly glad they didn't reject me outright, but It's still upsetting news to receive, especially since I am currently stuck in mandatory quarantine and away from all of my friends and family. 

I am still waiting to hear back from four other schools, but I was wondering when it's appropriate to reach out to the faculty members I spoke with at Berkeley for more info on the waitlist (ranked? by field? # of people? can I even ask these question?) and on the program (funding info, etc in case I do get off the waitlist and have to make a decision?). Advice is always appreciated, and I hope everyone else is staying safe and sane! 

I absolutely understand how you feel! I was waitlisted at Harvard last week. It’s a difficult position to be in because it means your application is very strong but covid has impacted how many students they can accept. I asked about the waitlist in a very polite and friendly email and emphasised that I understand that it may be privileged information. They got back to me straightaway and said they can’t tell me anything but at least I sent the email and asked to put my mind at ease. 

good luck for the other schools! 

14 minutes ago, bakeseal said:

I don't have any practical advice about reaching out re: waitlists, but I will say that I'm sorry about the waitlist result and totally understand the sense of it being a bit of a mixed bag in terms of how to feel about it. I'm still waiting to hear from Berkeley (like you - my top choice and the longer I wait, the more anxious I become even though I know that's not going to change the situation at all).

Wishing you all the best of luck hearing from the rest of your schools and I hope you're able to lean on some friends and family, even if it does have to be virtual for the time being!

1 hour ago, bakeseal said:

I reached out about being waitlisted at one of my top choices. My notification was from a POI so I emailed them back. I said in the email that it was my top choice and that I would appreciate any information they were able to offer. They ended up telling me the number on the waitlist, which doesn’t do much, but having a little bit of information helped. I think it’s fine to reach out, but I wouldn’t count on gaining a ton of insight. Best of luck; I know the feeling!

Edited by kleio

1 hour ago, bakeseal said:

Absolutely.  Reach out to the DGS and your POIs. Express your dissapointment but understanding that it's all very difficult -- for them in reviewing so many applications and having to make hard choices. Acknowledge that Berkeley is your top choice and specific one or two unique things about it. Ask how about the waitlist process. That's it.

Just woke up to a Berkeley rejection in my inbox :( two rejections so far this week, not feeling optimistic at all now about my chances even though there are still 15 decisions left to receive.

At the very least I appreciate them sending out rejections and acceptances at the same time, I think it is quite clear that the UCLA acceptances have gone out and rejections will come later.

Edited by scarletwitch

5 hours ago, scarletwitch said:

Just woke up to a Berkeley rejection in my inbox :( two rejections so far this week, not feeling optimistic at all now about my chances even though there are still 15 decisions left to receive.

At the very least I appreciate them sending out rejections and acceptances at the same time, I think it is quite clear that the UCLA acceptances have gone out and rejections will come later.

I know it’s rough but don’t despair yet! You’ve still got a lot of irons in the fire and as my MA supervisor said to me, “You only need one.” You’ve got this!

Edited by Ryan_The_Grogu_Fan