2021 Application Thread

dr. t

2 minutes ago, Ryan_The_Grogu_Fan said:

I don’t think hearing that from the DGS is any indication either way. The DGS may have an internal deadline for result notification or generally know the history department’s timeline. 

I think it would be much more beneficial to reach out to the history department directly if you want more information because the DGS won’t know the specifics of what’s going on with each department. 

Thank you! Sorry, I meant the DGS of Harvard's History department, so I guess this might confirm my suspicions.

7 minutes ago, tulips23 said:

Thank you! Sorry, I meant the DGS of Harvard's History department, so I guess this might confirm my suspicions.

Ahh okay! If anything, I think this is actually a sign that you shouldn’t worry too much. I know a few people claimed waitlists on the survey page, but I don’t think anyone here has actually claimed them? And if waitlists and presumably acceptances have been sent out, why wait another couple weeks for rejections? Waitlists on the survey page could have been trolls (political science has a real problem with people posting troll results). 

6 minutes ago, Ryan_The_Grogu_Fan said:

Ahh okay! If anything, I think this is actually a sign that you shouldn’t worry too much. I know a few people claimed waitlists on the survey page, but I don’t think anyone here has actually claimed them? And if waitlists and presumably acceptances have been sent out, why wait another couple weeks for rejections? Waitlists on the survey page could have been trolls (political science has a real problem with people posting troll results). 

Thank you! This is a really helpful way of looking at it. I was sort of going off of past years where people said the DGS or POI contacted them in advance of the GSAS, so if the DGS told me that GSAS would be in touch within two weeks I felt it might be a rejection. But I suppose there is always hope...

4 minutes ago, generalstrike said:

People really do that? That is profoundly inscrutable behavior.

Oh yeah, the political science survey page is filled with results for programs where people on the forum have reached out to the departments who have confirmed results haven’t even been released yet 

Edited by Ryan_The_Grogu_Fan

Congrats to the folks who got into Yale!

On the subject of U Chicago, was anyone here confirmed to the waitlist or are we thinking that they're trolls? (If someone's already said they were one, I missed it).

Edited by TagRendar

9 minutes ago, brownrose95 said:

3 people now accepted to Yale in the space of 10 minutes.. guess that's done. Well done to those who got in!

yup, lol. Unless they are going by field in which case we may have a small window, but seems likely most acceptances are going out today. I guess at the very least we can hope that more schools will be getting back next week since Yale is now not that significantly behind schedule. 

I’ve already adopted the attitude that if I get any positive news it will be a major shock and surprise. I’m mentally preparing myself for the likelihood that I will be attending Cambridge to get my MPhil this upcoming year (which in many ways is great, I just didn’t want to wait an extra year and the financial costs associated with it also) which will hopefully make my application more competitive next year and some other schools I wanted to apply to will be accepting again!

45 minutes ago, TagRendar said:

On the subject of U Chicago, was anyone here confirmed to the waitlist or are we thinking that they're trolls? (If someone's already said they were one, I missed it).

I don't think anyone's claimed the 4 Chicago waitlists. But gosh I would be astonished if any, let alone all, were trolls.  I just wonder where any of the other acceptances are if waitlists have gone out. (I have been assuming acceptances typically precede or are concurrent with waitlist notifications, but don't really have anything concrete to base it on.)

2 minutes ago, HRL said:

I don't think anyone's claimed the 4 Chicago waitlists. But gosh I would be astonished if any, let alone all, were trolls.  I just wonder where any of the other acceptances are if waitlists have gone out. (I have been assuming acceptances typically precede or are concurrent with waitlist notifications, but don't really have anything concrete to base it on.)

I mean, when I checked the application portal a bit earlier this evening, there was no change, and considering how every other school seems to handle this, it's weird that there wouldn't be some kind of notification on the portal, too.

15 minutes ago, HRL said:

I also doubt that they're trolls, but then again I only just learned that this was a common phenomenon here. In any case, it is a bit strange that waitlists would go out first (if that is indeed what happened).

22 minutes ago, flowersandcoffee said:

Congratulations!! That’s amazing. Do you mind sharing your sub field? Was it from DGS? 

Thank you! It's Modern Europe. I was feeling a bit pessimistic because of all the talk here about the Europeanist bloodbath (and even during the interview my POI kept talking about the popularity of "Global History" and how departments want to pick students who will do well on the job market), but hey, I guess there was room for at least one!

And yes, it was from DGS. My admissions portal actually hasn't been updated yet lol

15 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Thank you! It's Modern Europe. I was feeling a bit pessimistic because of all the talk here about the Europeanist bloodbath (and even during the interview my POI kept talking about the popularity of "Global History" and how departments want to pick students who will do well on the job market), but hey, I guess there was room for at least one!

And yes, it was from DGS. My admissions portal actually hasn't been updated yet lol

Congratulations! I am a Europeanist at Yale, so feel free to ask any questions :)

1 hour ago, TagRendar said:

I mean, when I checked the application portal a bit earlier this evening, there was no change, and considering how every other school seems to handle this, it's weird that there wouldn't be some kind of notification on the portal, too.

I was accepted and there is no change to my portal either, so I wouldn’t say that means anything.