MPH 2021 Canada

36 minutes ago, tiredofthewaitingame said:

So who else here is just waiting on their UofT rejection so they can go ahead and make other plans? lol I'm usually an optimist but this waiting + pandemic has really killed my spirit. 

Which stream did you apply to?

1 hour ago, globalguRl said:

Did anyone apply to schools abroad? 

I applied to Michigan, Boston and Columbia. Accepted by Boston and Michigan, waitlisted by Columbia (but I expected that)! 

Meanwhile I was rejected by Mac... where I currently go... lol 

Edited by tiredofthewaitingame

2 minutes ago, minniexo_ said:

to many of you who said western was your top choice. what are some of the reasons you think that? and what makes it worth the expensive tuition? 

For me it was because I completed my undergrad there so I wanted a familiar place to pursue...but given then expensive tuition I'm kind of glad the decision was made for me (I was wait-listed) to not attend. My research supervisor said that it does not really matter where you complete the MPH degree and that the practicum is the more valuable component. Western may have other merits which I definitely cannot speak upon given that I did not complete the program but the familiarity was one of the reasons it was my top choice. 

Good luck!

32 minutes ago, tiredofthewaitingame said:

I applied to Michigan, Boston and Columbia. Accepted by Boston and Michigan, waitlisted by Columbia (but I expected that)! 

Meanwhile I was rejected by Mac... where I currently go... lol 

Hahahah....Awesome!!! Worlds best schools want you but McMaster is having his own whims and fancies.... lol

17 minutes ago, arniearnie said:

For me it was because I completed my undergrad there so I wanted a familiar place to pursue...but given then expensive tuition I'm kind of glad the decision was made for me (I was wait-listed) to not attend. My research supervisor said that it does not really matter where you complete the MPH degree and that the practicum is the more valuable component. Western may have other merits which I definitely cannot speak upon given that I did not complete the program but the familiarity was one of the reasons it was my top choice. 

Good luck!

Thank you! I completely understand. What is the culture like in Western? What's rent like? 

24 minutes ago, minniexo_ said:

to many of you who said western was your top choice. what are some of the reasons you think that? and what makes it worth the expensive tuition? 

I have many friends who did MPH from Western University....I would have straight forward rejected this course total wastage of Time and money.....Nobody got a job and overly expensive 40,000 Dollars....just coz they say we make you complete 2 year syllabus in 1 year have some common sense 2 years in 8 months actually and 4 months practicum.....Sorry if anybody felt bad but this was personal experience...

Just now, minniexo_ said:

Thank you! I completely understand. What is the culture like in Western? What's rent like? 

Now this is something I could speak to! The culture at Western is AMAZING IMO. I loved it and everyone does their own thing but is also super nice and friendly. IMO as a POC, it is a super diverse community and I felt that I fit in nicely. 

For rent, depending on where you live it can range from $550/600 per month to $1000. If you live in the upper-year res (Lambton Hall) owned by Western, you would pay about $650 per month max. If you wanted to live at LUXE which is the building closest to the MPH building, it would cost about $900 per month but comes with many amenities. If you live in DT london near richmond row (one bus ride down to the PH buidling), it should be about $700/800 per month but really depends. 

Hope this helps!

1 minute ago, arniearnie said:

Now this is something I could speak to! The culture at Western is AMAZING IMO. I loved it and everyone does their own thing but is also super nice and friendly. IMO as a POC, it is a super diverse community and I felt that I fit in nicely. 

For rent, depending on where you live it can range from $550/600 per month to $1000. If you live in the upper-year res (Lambton Hall) owned by Western, you would pay about $650 per month max. If you wanted to live at LUXE which is the building closest to the MPH building, it would cost about $900 per month but comes with many amenities. If you live in DT london near richmond row (one bus ride down to the PH buidling), it should be about $700/800 per month but really depends. 

Hope this helps!

This very much helps!! So comforting to hear this since I'm also a POC. Thank you :) 

3 minutes ago, arniearnie said:

Hope this helps!

WOW rent is cheap there! I'm here in BC and I'd be lucky if I could find a decent place at around $900. 

58 minutes ago, minniexo_ said:

my friend also did the MPH program last year and he said he liked it not only bc he got to graduate so much earlier than other programs but u constantly get to meet so many public health professionals, so the networking opportunités there are amazing! He also said that they still send him job postings related to the field - and the post-grad employment rate is super high there!! 

59 minutes ago, my3420 said:

I have many friends who did MPH from Western University....I would have straight forward rejected this course total wastage of Time and money.....Nobody got a job and overly expensive 40,000 Dollars....just coz they say we make you complete 2 year syllabus in 1 year have some common sense 2 years in 8 months actually and 4 months practicum.....Sorry if anybody felt bad but this was personal experience...

So none of your friends were able to get any jobs at all afterwards? Not even in the places where they did their practicums? Also how many friends are these that did the MPH?

26 minutes ago, gbabs said:

my friend also did the MPH program last year and he said he liked it not only bc he got to graduate so much earlier than other programs but u constantly get to meet so many public health professionals, so the networking opportunités there are amazing! He also said that they still send him job postings related to the field - and the post-grad employment rate is super high there!! 

Is your friend working in the MPH field now? If so, is the job atmosphere and pay enough to justify the expense? 

54 minutes ago, cheesecakelover said:

WOW rent is cheap there! I'm here in BC and I'd be lucky if I could find a decent place at around $900. 

The price of rent largely depends on your location, whether you have roommates or not, the quality of the housing/apartment and whether you have your own bathroom or not. You can go cheap, like $500 but you'll probably have like 4-5 roommates sharing most of the space. 

3 minutes ago, SunnyMPH said:

So none of your friends were able to get any jobs at all afterwards? Not even in the places where they did their practicums? Also how many friends are these that did the MPH?

Is your friend working in the MPH field now? If so, is the job atmosphere and pay enough to justify the expense? 

yes he is! He’s working at the Toronto general hospital and I think his pay is decent?