Fall 2021 Social & Personality PhD

aurorma

Most years, by SPSP most programs have sent out first round decisions. At this point, if you have received no updates at all (check your spam box!), it is probably reasonable to start reaching out to faculty to ask if they have more information. If you're on their waitlist, they're typically honest about that fact. Also, this is all the more reason for those with multiple acceptances to release offers they don't plan on taking so others can come off the waitlist (as @Faculty Full Prof stated). 

On 1/29/2021 at 2:56 PM, north_runner said:

@psych2121 Unfortunately no updates from the CUNY critical social program from me either. Not really sure what to think at this point!

I can't stop myself from checking in again to see if anyone has heard absolutely anything from CUNY critical this week?? Or if there is anyone who's heard any info through the grapevine? Maybe for those in contact with BASP, has there been any scheduling of a department-wide interview or info session that seems to include all training areas? The radio silence is killing me!

3 hours ago, appliedpsyc said:

I can't stop myself from checking in again to see if anyone has heard absolutely anything from CUNY critical this week?? Or if there is anyone who's heard any info through the grapevine? Maybe for those in contact with BASP, has there been any scheduling of a department-wide interview or info session that seems to include all training areas? The radio silence is killing me!

Nothing from me☹️

On 2/3/2021 at 2:21 PM, SocialPsychologyuuuuu said:

Someone just posted that they had an interview invite back in January.

I saw that but I didn't know if it was legit. They seem like a big school, so I thought I would here something if they sent out interviews yet.

18 hours ago, appliedpsyc said:

No updates whatsoever from this end as well..

19 hours ago, Regression2theMean said:

Most years, by SPSP most programs have sent out first round decisions. At this point, if you have received no updates at all (check your spam box!), it is probably reasonable to start reaching out to faculty to ask if they have more information. If you're on their waitlist, they're typically honest about that fact. Also, this is all the more reason for those with multiple acceptances to release offers they don't plan on taking so others can come off the waitlist (as @Faculty Full Prof stated). 

Honestly I'm not so sure that most programs have made first-round decisions.  At USC's interview day, held yesterday, the department chair said they received over 1000 applications this year for all of psych, up from like ~660 last year.  That plus funding uncertainty due to COVID chaos means that schools with Dec 15 or Dec 31 deadlines may very well still be figuring out who to interview.  An email at this point in time is unlikely to result in any useful information imo, give it at least another 2-3 weeks.

3 hours ago, Monkeybug said:

I've heard nothing, but I assumed that they have sent out their first round of invites

I had an informal interview with a PI at NYU back in December and then wasn't invited to the formal interview weekend. I applied to the Cognition & Perception program and not the Social one so I don't know if they're moving on different timelines!

23 hours ago, Regression2theMean said:

This might be a silly question but what's a polite way to reach out to faculty and ask about the status of interviews? My only contact with a particular PI has been pre-application via email and I'm not sure if it's appropriate to send a follow-up.

1 hour ago, ap94 said:

This might be a silly question but what's a polite way to reach out to faculty and ask about the status of interviews? My only contact with a particular PI has been pre-application via email and I'm not sure if it's appropriate to send a follow-up.

The easiest option is usually to contact the program officer directly. The program officers handle the majority of the scheduling and logistics in many programs. They should at least be able to tell you if the faculty have begun interviewing, sent out offers, or are still reviewing applications. I also don't think it's terrible just to reach out and say something like: 

"I recently applied to your PhD program and am interested in your research on X. This is one of my top choice programs and I am writing to inquire about any updates in my application status." 

I don't think you need to go into too much detail but something really basic that conveys why you are writing and that you remain enthusiastic about their program/research should suffice. One of my current RAs who is applying to social programs recently did this with 2 schools and she got lovely responses from both (one saying she was on their waitlist and one saying that she's in their final round of applicants but they're still awaiting information about potential fellowships). She also mentioned in her emails that she has a few pending offers from other programs - so if you have other offers it wouldn't hurt to mention that (politely) as a part of your email.

Best of luck!    

4 minutes ago, Regression2theMean said:

The easiest option is usually to contact the program officer directly. The program officers handle the majority of the scheduling and logistics in many programs. They should at least be able to tell you if the faculty have begun interviewing, sent out offers, or are still reviewing applications. I also don't think it's terrible just to reach out and say something like: 

"I recently applied to your PhD program and am interested in your research on X. This is one of my top choice programs and I am writing to inquire about any updates in my application status." 

I don't think you need to go into too much detail but something really basic that conveys why you are writing and that you remain enthusiastic about their program/research should suffice. One of my current RAs who is applying to social programs recently did this with 2 schools and she got lovely responses from both (one saying she was on their waitlist and one saying that she's in their final round of applicants but they're still awaiting information about potential fellowships). She also mentioned in her emails that she has a few pending offers from other programs - so if you have other offers it wouldn't hurt to mention that (politely) as a part of your email.

Best of luck!    

Thank you so much!

On 2/5/2021 at 5:01 PM, Regression2theMean said:

Best of luck!    

Hi! Thanks the advices that you've been giving to us. I had a prelim interview with a faculty advisor about a month ago who said will contact me within one or two weeks, but I never heard back from her since then. I emailed her once later but didn't get responses. Should I email her again to follow up? I'm worried that I would annoy her if I do..

9 hours ago, Monkeybug said:

Hi! Thanks the advices that you've been giving to us. I had a prelim interview with a faculty advisor about a month ago who said will contact me within one or two weeks, but I never heard back from her since then. I emailed her once later but didn't get responses. Should I email her again to follow up? I'm worried that I would annoy her if I do..

Do you know if that program has sent out formal interview invitations or acceptances yet? If they have, then she might be less likely to respond to emails - typically counting on you to receive the standard mass rejection email and therefore not having to address it herself. If they haven’t made any decisions, she probably hasn’t responded because she has nothing new to say other than “keep waiting.” 

If you know decisions haven’t gone out yet, I think you are OK to email her once more (at least 10-14 days after your last email though) to follow-up. Keep the email relatively brief but enthusiastic. Faculty are overly burdened right now with COVID-19, budget cuts, online classes, new university initiatives, etc. and emails are often the last thing they want to deal with at the end of a long day. Faculty are often better at responding to shorter and more direct messages (think 30-seconds or less to read in full).

Alternatively, if you interviewed or talked with any other faculty members, you could try contacting them instead. They likely have some amount of information and then you reduce the risk of adding extra burden to the primary person you spoke with and already tried to contact. 

One thing more broadly to consider: Do you want to work with someone long-term who’s not great at communicating or responding to emails? I realize now that a lot of the experiences I had with potential advisors were indicative of how they currently advise their students (for both good and bad). I’ve since found out that some of the faculty members who were a little evasive of my emails and questions are relatively hands off as advisors (which is fine for some people but wasn’t what I was looking for). My current advisor was really receptive, flexible, and enthusiastic throughout my application process. To this day my advisor is the most responsive faculty member I’ve ever met and will drop almost anything if a student really needs help. I’m not saying this is definitely the case here, but it is important to be mindful of the broader message a set of behaviors might be hinting at.  

8 hours ago, Regression2theMean said:

Do you know if that program has sent out formal interview invitations or acceptances yet? If they have, then she might be less likely to respond to emails - typically counting on you to receive the standard mass rejection email and therefore not having to address it herself. If they haven’t made any decisions, she probably hasn’t responded because she has nothing new to say other than “keep waiting.” 

If you know decisions haven’t gone out yet, I think you are OK to email her once more (at least 10-14 days after your last email though) to follow-up. Keep the email relatively brief but enthusiastic. Faculty are overly burdened right now with COVID-19, budget cuts, online classes, new university initiatives, etc. and emails are often the last thing they want to deal with at the end of a long day. Faculty are often better at responding to shorter and more direct messages (think 30-seconds or less to read in full).

Alternatively, if you interviewed or talked with any other faculty members, you could try contacting them instead. They likely have some amount of information and then you reduce the risk of adding extra burden to the primary person you spoke with and already tried to contact. 

One thing more broadly to consider: Do you want to work with someone long-term who’s not great at communicating or responding to emails? I realize now that a lot of the experiences I had with potential advisors were indicative of how they currently advise their students (for both good and bad). I’ve since found out that some of the faculty members who were a little evasive of my emails and questions are relatively hands off as advisors (which is fine for some people but wasn’t what I was looking for). My current advisor was really receptive, flexible, and enthusiastic throughout my application process. To this day my advisor is the most responsive faculty member I’ve ever met and will drop almost anything if a student really needs help. I’m not saying this is definitely the case here, but it is important to be mindful of the broader message a set of behaviors might be hinting at.  

Thank you! 

Hi all, Sending you all lots of care as we navigate this truly difficult application season! 

I was wondering if anyone heard back from Cornell with an invite to interview? I saw that some people got rejections, but I havent heard anything nor did I see any posts about interviews. Just wondering if others are in this limbo? 

Thanks all 

What's a good range to look for with a stipend? I know it varies a lot on lifestyle, cost of living, etc. but what is too low? I believe in the area I could get a 1 bedroom apartment for $950 if I tried really hard and gave up some luxuries. Thanks!

On 2/1/2021 at 7:18 PM, brainbuster said:

Has anyone heard from UIUC, CU Boulder, or Univ of Michigan social psych area?

On 2/1/2021 at 7:19 PM, Fabretti said:

I am also expecting to hear something from UIUC.

Heard back from UIUC with a rejection today, which I expected and am okay with. Hope you all are doing okay and wishing ya'll so so much luck, it's hard out this year ❤️ 

9 hours ago, socialpsychnerd said:

Heard back from UIUC with a rejection today, which I expected and am okay with. Hope you all are doing okay and wishing ya'll so so much luck, it's hard out this year ❤️ 

I am sorry for that. I got accepted at this program and will be accepting the offer. Which POI did you applied to?

Edited by Fabretti