Fall 2021 Social & Personality PhD

aurorma

9 hours ago, researchresearch said:

I'm an Indian who has applied in 4 schools in the States for a PhD in Social Psych. Has anyone heard from UNC, Duke, UCSD, or Michigan?

Also applied to UNC and U Michigan but haven't heard anything from them yet. Hope we could all hear back from them soon! ?

22 hours ago, phdwannabequeen said:

Hi all!

I hope more invites are trickling in for everyone! I was hoping someone could share some advice for virtual interviews in general? Not question wise, but advice on mannerisms, etc for doing an interview over Zoom. Also, I had a prelim interview with a faculty and they mentioned that the formal interview would include a chat/interview with current PhD students. So, any advice on that?? Thanks guys

One thing that a lot of my professors have told me about grad school interviews is to be really enthusiastic. Even though the school might not be your top pick, it is still important for you to show your enthusiasm and excitement for being in the program. Although you won’t be in person it is also still important to dress the part. Make sure you are dressed in formal attire at least from the top half or what is seen on camera. Ensure that you are always speaking in a respectable tone and practice active listening skills. Show that you were attentive by nodding your head or smiling when the professor says something that you agree with or that interests you. I have only had two interviews over zoom so far and have not had a formal interview with current PhD students but I’m sure many others could have helpful tips on these here as well! Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, gparks said:

The silence here is kind of frightening

Tell me about it ? I’m so stressed out waiting for admissions updates and I check here so often to see if anyone is posting. Hope y’all are doing good and staying sane. 

My friend got a rejection from a few schools already, but he did counseling instead of social. However, I think it is a department wide process at this point rather than a discipline, and I think hearing later rather than now is a good sign. Have not heard anything from UNC yet, nor UofMichigan, or NYU. 

I'm a faculty at an R1, doing admissions work now. What you've heard is probably true--funding is terrible at universities now, and particularly at state institutions. Grad student lines are among the most protected (after sports, of course) areas of the budget, but times are very hard.

Applications are up in some places, but they're not massively up everywhere. The real problem is that entering class sizes are shrinking. We're looking at a 50% reduction this year. But it's still not settled.

We've recently identified our "top 20" and as soon as the full faculty can look at the files, we'll send out invitations. Our history is use phones for the first contact, and an in-person invitation for the second, more dispositive interview. What would you, as admissions candidates, like to have? How would you simultaneously excel, learn about the program, and manage the stress?

2 minutes ago, Faculty Full Prof said:

I'm a faculty at an R1, doing admissions work now. What you've heard is probably true--funding is terrible at universities now, and particularly at state institutions. Grad student lines are among the most protected (after sports, of course) areas of the budget, but times are very hard.

Applications are up in some places, but they're not massively up everywhere. The real problem is that entering class sizes are shrinking. We're looking at a 50% reduction this year. But it's still not settled.

We've recently identified our "top 20" and as soon as the full faculty can look at the files, we'll send out invitations. Our history is use phones for the first contact, and an in-person invitation for the second, more dispositive interview. What would you, as admissions candidates, like to have? How would you simultaneously excel, learn about the program, and manage the stress?

I believe a phone call for first contact is nice, or a zoom call. An in-person invitation seems risky, however it would be a crucial step since I would be needing to find a place to live. It is really sad that it is going to be so competitive. I am sure a lot of great future researchers may feel discouraged after applications this year. 

2 hours ago, Faculty Full Prof said:

agreed with @behaviorisweird on zoom/phone for the first rounds and in-person being crucial for housing/logistic steps... but seems everyone is doing a virtual "visiting" day for covid. Maybe a virtual tour? like the ones you do when you drop a pin in google map and get street view, but with more guidance/sharing from students? 

2 hours ago, ndyum said:

I saw a post on the results page that said all interviews for NYU have been sent out...has anybody else heard that?

Ugh I saw that too. Do you think it might be spam? Weird that it’s the only post? I don’t know anymore! I wish programs would notify people. I would rather know that I didn’t get an invite than to sit around and wait for the rejection. 

On 1/6/2021 at 10:27 PM, researchresearch said:

I'm an Indian who has applied in 4 schools in the States for a PhD in Social Psych. Has anyone heard from UNC, Duke, UCSD, or Michigan?

Yes, Duke has sent out their invites for the Psych & Neuroscience PhD program.

44 minutes ago, researchresearch said:

When did they send out these invites? Would they sending out a rejection letter to those that they didn't select then? 

They were sent out on January 5. I'm pretty sure they will send out rejection letters, but maybe not until at least February after the interview dates (this is just a guess based on what most programs do).

Me and a lot of my friends who applied to social psychology PhD programs are all so stressed! It’s so hard waiting, not knowing whether or not the next time we open our email if it will be a request for interviews or a rejection. Has anyone here heard back from the following schools?

UC Irvine, UC Riverside, CU Boulder, University of Denver, CUNY, Stony Brook University, University of Delaware, UMASS Amherst, Washington State @ St. Louis, or Rutgers.

30 minutes ago, sksamra said:

Me and a lot of my friends who applied to social psychology PhD programs are all so stressed! It’s so hard waiting, not knowing whether or not the next time we open our email if it will be a request for interviews or a rejection. Has anyone here heard back from the following schools?

UC Irvine, UC Riverside, CU Boulder, University of Denver, CUNY, Stony Brook University, University of Delaware, UMASS Amherst, Washington State @ St. Louis, or Rutgers.

I also applied to UC Irvine, but to health psychology program. Haven't heard back from it yet.

28 minutes ago, inwaldosia123 said:

I also applied to UC Irvine, but to health psychology program. Haven't heard back from it yet.

Thanks for letting me know! I haven’t heard anything from UC Irvine either. Wishing you luck and hoping you get an invitation soon!

6 hours ago, sksamra said:

I've heard back about a preliminary interview from Denver, but nothing about the official Interview weekend taking place around Feb 19th, yet. I had a preliminary interview last week. 

8 hours ago, sksamra said:

I applied to UC Irvine, CUNY, and UMass Amherst, and nothing from any of those yet :( 

2 hours ago, psycholokri said:

I've heard back about a preliminary interview from Denver, but nothing about the official Interview weekend taking place around Feb 19th, yet. I had a preliminary interview last week. 

Congrats! I also had a preliminary interview with Denver two weeks ago, but I have yet to hear anything back. I also had an interview with the professor at UMass Amherst and the faculty member advised me that interviews would continue for another 3 to 4 weeks and then she would be in contact. I am thinking it might be since there are more applications this season, they have to conduct more interviews than usual. Hopefully you hear back soon hoping you get good news!

58 minutes ago, socialpsychnerd said:

I applied to UC Irvine, CUNY, and UMass Amherst, and nothing from any of those yet :( 

I was able to get an interview with UMass Amherst but have not heard anything since my interview two weeks ago. I also haven’t heard back from UC Irvine or CUNY. Hoping we get some good news soon!

2 hours ago, gparks said:

I heard that Yale had their preliminary interviews, official invites will go out Friday, with the official interview day either Jan 22 or 25

Do they do a prelim interview with everyone who would receive an official invite? I’m assuming the answer is yes, but curious if you know officially