Fall 2021 Developmental Psychology

khnhle2

Is not receiving an interview a bad sign or do they typically do them in batches? I know Covid has put a strain on the process, but not knowing anything is driving me crazy. I desperately want all the waiting to be over so I can just get in and start learning again. 

What is everyone hoping to study? What are you research topics?

Edited by Flav1921

1 hour ago, Flav1921 said:

Did you ever hear back about your interview? Whose lab are you applying for? I'm also applying to OSU. I'm so nervous! 

Yes I did! They ended up moving it to just the 8th so I think they were trying to figure out some last minute details. Were you at the interview? I'm applying to SP!

15 hours ago, Flav1921 said:

Is not receiving an interview a bad sign or do they typically do them in batches? I know Covid has put a strain on the process, but not knowing anything is driving me crazy. I desperately want all the waiting to be over so I can just get in and start learning again. 

I relate! Haven't heard anything from any of the school that I applied to. If they're going to reject me, I would prefer if they did it quickly...

I'm hoping to study children's learning mechanism in cultural contexts, with focus on language. How about you?

20 hours ago, Flav1921 said:

Yes and no.  Most schools seem to divide candidates into groups - those they reject outright, those they want to interview for sure, and the second choices.  First choice students get interviews first, maybe even offers first - then as spots become available, second choice students get calls for interviews (or just offers of places, in some programs). By the end of January, many/most programs will have likely interviewed or set up interviews with their top candidates, but that doesn't mean it won't still happen for others.  I've seen applicants get calls as late as April.  The downside of all that is, a lot of rejection letters won't go out til March or April, as candidates who've been made multiple offers decide which one to accept, leaving spaces at the other schools for second choice candidates, and schools don't send the blanket "We're sorry" letters til all spots are officially filled. You most likely won't have final decisions from all your schools until after the April 15 decision date.

I went through this last year, and yeah, it's nerve wracking until you have those official offers in hand. Just remember, everyone is feeling the same thing, so you have lots of support out there. And so much of this is purely subjective - the number of interviews you get is less a reflection of the quality of academic you are, and more to do with research fit and compatibility. 

7 hours ago, khnhle2 said:

I relate! Haven't heard anything from any of the school that I applied to. If they're going to reject me, I would prefer if they did it quickly...

I'm hoping to study children's learning mechanism in cultural contexts, with focus on language. How about you?

Same. The not knowing is driving me crazy. The fact that this feeling could go on for months is pretty darn near torture in my opinion. 

That sounds awesome! I'd like to study parenting, focusing on new parents, co-parenting strategies, and maternal gatekeeping of infants. 

Hi everyone, 

I know its technically still "early" in the season (and seeing alot of these comments-- we are all in similar boats!). I received some prelim interviews, but no official offers for an "interview" weekend of sorts yet. I also have noticed a bit of trolling in the grad cafe results list.. so I figured I'd ask here rather than there:

Did anyone here apply to Harvard's Developmental Psych Program? If so, have you heard back? Is it too early? I know their program works a bit different than the typical ones so I thought Id double check. 

The schools I've applied to are: Boston University, Boston College, Suffolk, NEU, Tufts, and Harvard. If anyone has any questions or anything feel free to message me :)

18 hours ago, JArather said:

Hi everyone, 

I know its technically still "early" in the season (and seeing alot of these comments-- we are all in similar boats!). I received some prelim interviews, but no official offers for an "interview" weekend of sorts yet. I also have noticed a bit of trolling in the grad cafe results list.. so I figured I'd ask here rather than there:

Did anyone here apply to Harvard's Developmental Psych Program? If so, have you heard back? Is it too early? I know their program works a bit different than the typical ones so I thought Id double check. 

The schools I've applied to are: Boston University, Boston College, Suffolk, NEU, Tufts, and Harvard. If anyone has any questions or anything feel free to message me :)

Hey! I also applied to Harvard's and BU's Developmental Psych but haven't heard anything at all from either unfortunately :( Do we have any info on when their interviews are? 

Hey everyone! I've applied to Social Psychology programs (University of Wisconsin-Madison, WashU in St. Louis, and Temple University) and Developmental Psychology programs (University of Vermont (technically the Experimental Psychology program), Penn State University, and University of Chicago). So far I haven't heard back from any and I'm getting slightly nervous, so I'd love to hear if any of you applied to any of these programs too. I know Penn State has sent out half of their invites already and that they're likely releasing the rest tomorrow, but other than that I'm unsure about the state of the other programs. 

14 hours ago, gradapp2021 said:

Did anyone apply to Duke, Stanford, UMich, or Columbia? If you did have you heard anything yet? 

I applied to Duke and have been invited to the official 'virtual' interview weekend. Haven't heard anything at all from UMich though.

Edited by Alligator97

7 hours ago, Alligator97 said:

I applied to Duke and have been invited to the official 'virtual' interview weekend. Haven't heard anything at all from UMich though.

What concentration at Duke did you apply to? developmental? I am assuming then that all the invites for Duke have already been extended.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:39 AM, lerek197 said:

Hey! I also applied to Harvard's and BU's Developmental Psych but haven't heard anything at all from either unfortunately :( Do we have any info on when their interviews are? 

I had a prelim interview at BU, but I was rejected due to "fit" after.  Believe some formal interview dates have been sent out but im not sure what they are... 

22 hours ago, gradapp2021 said:

Did anyone apply to Duke, Stanford, UMich, or Columbia? If you did have you heard anything yet? 

I got a prelim interview with UMich in late December and received a formal interview invite from the PI (no official email invitations yet) just a couple days ago. Haven't heard from Stanford or Columbia either 

2 minutes ago, lerek197 said:

I got a prelim interview with UMich in late December and received a formal interview invite from the PI (no official email invitations yet) just a couple days ago. Haven't heard from Stanford or Columbia either 

Would you mind sharing PI initials? If not I understand :)

Is this topic exclusive for PhD in Developmental psych? I am applying to UCL and 6 other schools for MSc in Developmental psych and clinical practice. Anyone else who's applying for masters? Is there an 'am I competent enough?' thread for masters in dev psych? 

I am not sure if anyone has applied to Boston College, but their interview weekend is this upcoming on— so I am assuming invites have been sent out 

I prioritized PI researchers and labs to make sure I would be able to focus on my area of interest and because of this I only applied to one developmental psych program and a handful counseling psych programs. I'm applying with a MS in Couples and Family therapy, so the clinical route seemed to make sense. However, I just got an interview offer to the dev. program at U-Pitt which is my top choice. Since I've been immersed in the clinical side of graduate programs I'm pretty nervous for this interview but am SO stoked at the same time. My POI emailed me to let me know the admissions staff was very impressed with my materials so I'm hoping all goes well! ?