Linguistics Applicants for Fall 2021

hopelessoptimist

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, hopelessoptimist said:

Congratulations @IvanC! I just submitted mine as well.

@hi7, I'm not sure what you mean by a plan. I've just been working on applications!

Cool! 

What schools are you guys applying to? 

Since my work is interdisciplinary, I ended up just applying to 1 Linguistics PhD program (University of Utah) and some other social science programs. Since this thread has 3 participants but 900+ views, I'm not sure if that means this year will be more or less competitive lol

900 views!!!! Jeez!!!

I’m applying only to MA programs (2 Applied Linguistics/TESL programs and 1 Linguistics). The schools are Iowa State (it’s definitely my favorite program), University of Alabama, and University of Illinois. 

I thought I would feel a sense of relief after submitting my first application today, but now I feel like I'm behind! I just can't stop tinkering with my SOPs.

7 more to go.. wish me luck! Wishing you all the same. 

I was originally going to apply to just 3 schools, but one of my letter writers framed it this way: it's better to have too many options than not enough. Plus, if you're already going to the trouble of doing all the work for the applications, you might as well apply widely! But like hopelessoptimist said, that gets expensive very quickly. 

All that said, MA programs are generally less selective than PhD programs, so if you're confident in your applications and you have your heart set on those three schools, then  you probably don't need to apply more just for the sake of applying more! 

Edit: I should rephrase that... maybe it's not so much that MA programs less selective, but that their selection criteria are different and less demanding than PhD programs. 

Edited by paulacole

I am applying to 7 PhD programs and 2 MA programs; all in Applied Linguistics/Second Language Acquisition/Second Language Studies. My mentor said 8-10 when dealing with PhD programs is typically a good number to apply to. Basically for the same reasons stated above.

I'm a little nervous because I'm a senior in undergrad still with majors in Linguistics and French and minors in Political Science and English. I have some teaching/tutoring experience for French and ESL and have been a TA for the SLA courses my university offers. I also have research experience which might help. But, a lot of schools I'm looking at have current students who already had MA's and/or loads of teaching experience, so I'm honestly not sure what my shot is this go around. I'm still giving it a shot though! 

I'm also curious as to what the app pool will look like this year with COVID and all. The professor I TA for thinks either everyone and their mom will apply or next to no one will.

I'm excited to see everyone succeed though! This time is honestly so stressful with deadlines approaching and the waiting game starting.

Has anyone heard anything about what the admissions pool for linguistics programs are looking like this year? Supposedly psychology programs are up nearly 50% at some schools, but other disciplines are down from previous years.

On 11/30/2020 at 9:09 PM, IvanC said:

Cool! 

What schools are you guys applying to? 

I finished applying this past Tuesday to 7 Ph.D's, all really good, but extremely selective programs (though pretty much any PhD program is a competitive program). I feel both relieved at having finished all of my applications, but also super anxious as I enter the waiting period. My interests are mainly in Historical and sociolinguistics (I plan to study and be a researcher in the field of Sociohistorical Linguistics).

9 hours ago, paulacole said:

Congrats Ivan, that's great! How did the interview go?

I’ll be interviewed in 3 hours. I’m so anxious.. I couldn’t even sleep tonight. Cross your fingers ??

2 hours ago, IvanC said:

I’ll be interviewed in 3 hours. I’m so anxious.. I couldn’t even sleep tonight. Cross your fingers ??

I'm sure you'll do great Ivan! Let us know how it goes!!!

Thanks, guys! 
The interview was great. I took a deep breath before I turned on the camera and tried not to be nervous. There were only two professors and they were really nice. We talked for about 18 minutes (it was supposed to last 15 minutes). 

They asked me to talk about my current job (I’ve been a teacher for 17 years), why I chose Iowa State,  my areas of interest, and if I would like to teach writing to native and non-native undergrad students. 

My POI said they will now present my case to the Applied Linguistics faculty and I’ll soon receive an update. 

Thanks for the good vibes! 

10 minutes ago, LondonN said:

All these other people in other disciplines are talking about how they already got accepted to programs and I’m just like howwwww ?

But it’s still early, London. I was interviewed because I applied in October, but I only heard from one school so far... I guess I’ll only if I got in January or February. 

Perhaps it’s different if you apply to other fields, but I still think most programs will only send the results next year ( well, we’re not so far ?)

9 hours ago, IvanC said:

But it’s still early, London. I was interviewed because I applied in October, but I only heard from one school so far... I guess I’ll only if I got in January or February. 

Perhaps it’s different if you apply to other fields, but I still think most programs will only send the results next year ( well, we’re not so far ?)

You’re definitely right ?hbqsujpgv9561.jpg

I submitted my apps two weeks ago.(Only Linguistics/ Language Science PhD programs for I did my MA in Linguistics).

Two of my friends in China got interviews from CityU and HKUST; they said the application is exceptionally competitive this year, even for MA programs. Many of the applicants have at least experience in RA or TA for one year and some of them even hold published papers. Top GPA, English test scores are common, while funding is rare.

I don't know whether I made the right choice to give up programs in HK and head for those in North America. However, I have not received anything yet, and I am quite worried about the result.

Wish everyone here good luck!