Linguistics Applicants for Fall 2021

hopelessoptimist

Hi everyone!

It seems like the linguists are gathered here so I hope it's okay if I ask some questions ☺️

I was recently accepted into the linguistics program at Georgetown, and I am considering going.

I was wondering if people have thoughts or opinions on the program, or if anyone else here applied.

Thanks!

Edited by Ren76

On 3/9/2021 at 1:16 PM, AnxiousBeaver said:

congrats Ivan! So excited and proud of you! Did you receive your funding offer yet?

Sorry, I only saw it now. 

Yes, I received my funding offer even before. The head of the department emailed me to say I had been awarded financial support in the form of at 33% time Teaching Assistantship for the academic years of 2021-2022 and 2022-2023. I couldn’t be happier. 

I am now only concerned about the proof of funding because I have three dependents, but I haven’t received any emails from Illinois talking about it. I emailed the program director today, but he said he doesn’t know much about this kind of thing, so he forwarded my message to grad services. The information about proof of funding is available on their website, but I don’t know if it applies to teaching assistants as well. USD $ 24,000 for 3 depends is a lot of money.... let’s see what they say! 

The open house was yesterday... it was awesome! ?

congrats Ivan! So excited and proud of you! Did you receive your funding offer yet?

Yes, I received my funding offer even before. The head of the department emailed me to say I had been awarded financial support in the form of at 33% time Teaching Assistantship for the academic years of 2021-2022 and 2022-2023. I couldn’t be happier. 

I am now only concerned about the proof of funding because I have three dependents, but I haven’t received any emails from Illinois talking about it. I emailed the program director today, but he said he doesn’t know much about this kind of thing, so he forwarded my message to grad services. The information about proof of funding is available on their website, but I don’t know if it applies to teaching assistants as well. USD $ 24,000 for 3 depends is a lot of money.... let’s see what they say! 

The open house was yesterday... it was awesome! ?

On 3/2/2021 at 7:37 PM, kso1634 said:

I totally get that! I'm looking at apartments in Bloomington (rather prematurely I might add as they told me they're still working on a funding package when I was offered an admitted student visit). I'm just really excited, but also nervous because of moving and meeting new people and that I won't do as well as I hope to or not meet expectations.

How's your search going? I've been admitted for Middle Eastern Languages and Cultures but finding it really hard to find a good place to live!

On 3/16/2021 at 1:19 PM, IvanC said:

The open house was yesterday... it was awesome! ?

Hi Ivan! Congratulations on the acceptance and funding! I know a little about funding as I have two dependents as well. I asked several schools about this and all of them told me that I needed from 3000 to 4000 USD per dependent. In my case, I needed to show proof for two people (husband and baby) If I was accepted. I was not, so I don't have to worry about that right now. I will have a whole year to put some more money together to take my family with me for 4 years. I don't know the situation at the schools you applied to, but check the information web page for international students a those universities and that would def be helpful. 

25 minutes ago, VLE said:

Hi Ivan! Congratulations on the acceptance and funding! I know a little about funding as I have two dependents as well. I asked several schools about this and all of them told me that I needed from 3000 to 4000 USD per dependent. In my case, I needed to show proof for two people (husband and baby) If I was accepted. I was not, so I don't have to worry about that right now. I will have a whole year to put some more money together to take my family with me for 4 years. I don't know the situation at the schools you applied to, but check the information web page for international students a those universities and that would def be helpful. 

Thanks, VLE! 

I’ve just talked to someone in my department and they told me I’ll have to show a proof of funding of US$24,241 ? I’m not happy with that. I dunno what I’m going to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! 

As you know, I was accepted to the University of Illinois and the University of Alabama. I already accepted Illinois’s offer, but I can change my decision until April 15th. If you guys had to choose between these two outstanding universities, which one would you choose?

Illinois: 

Stipend: USD 12,738

Health insurance: partial 

Proof of funding: USD 24,000 (for myself + dependents)

Sponsor: a friend of mine, an American citizen.

- - -

Alabama 

Stipend: USD 14,364

Health insurance: full coverage 

Proof of funding: USD 16,036 (because I have 3 dependents - if it were only me, I would need to show proof of funding of USD 1,036) 

Loomis Scholarship funding (book aid): USD 800

Sponsor: I wouldn’t need a sponsor at the UA. I can use my own funds. 

I’m curious to know which one you guys would choose. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2021 at 5:27 AM, IvanC said:

Hi guys! 

As you know, I was accepted to the University of Illinois and the University of Alabama. I already accepted Illinois’s offer, but I can change my decision until April 15th. If you guys had to choose between these two outstanding universities, which one would you choose?

Illinois: 

Stipend: USD 12,738

Health insurance: partial 

Proof of funding: USD 24,000 (for myself + dependents)

Sponsor: a friend of mine, an American citizen.

- - -

Alabama 

Stipend: USD 14,364

Health insurance: full coverage 

Proof of funding: USD 16,036 (because I have 3 dependents - if it were only me, I would need to show proof of funding of USD 1,036) 

Loomis Scholarship funding (book aid): USD 800

Sponsor: I wouldn’t need a sponsor at the UA. I can use my own funds. 

I’m curious to know which one you guys would choose. 

Hey Ivan!! Sorry this is coming too late but I would choose Alabama! IT just seems like there's so much more financial support which can really affect your graduate school experience! Let us know what you decided!

• 8 months later...