Linguistics Applicants for Fall 2021

hopelessoptimist

Anyone else wishing we could just know where our life is taking us come Fall 2021 already? Cuz I know I sure do. This waiting game is making me nervous. I'm already obsessively checking my email lol and I know there won't be anything because of the holidays.

Hey guys!

I've been reading the posts you've submitted. I didn't apply to any programs in Linguistics this year (last year broke my heart) but I wish you all the best. Please keep the thread updated--I would love to know where you end up and read your research in the future! Best of luck!!

Jess :)

yes, thanks indeed.

I'm an outlier's outlier--applying to only one program, an MA, and I'm old (56).  I'm looking for ways to reclaim my academic background in anthropology (I was ABD at Emory before i had to quit and go to work) while building on my working life in the computing industries (so computational is an interest, but not only that).  I applied to Kentucky (as I almost did here a couple of years ago, but ended up waiting a bit longer).

It seems like a fine program and a good place to get my feet wet again, and decide just how far I want to go with this.  But I do have an interview next week, and it's nice to be validated that far along.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 7:49 PM, ides-of-july said:

But I do have an interview next week, and it's nice to be validated that far along.

Congrats on the interview ides! How did it go? 

How is everyone doing with the waiting game? I know most decisions will be made starting in February but I'm still checking portals daily... 

2 hours ago, paulacole said:

Congrats on the interview ides! How did it go? 

It was pretty straightforward, and relatively brief.  I got the feeling the main functions of the conversation were (a) to get a better sense of whether I'd be a decent TA (is this guy obviously flaky? let's hear more about his teaching experience; et cetera) and (b) to hear a bit more about why I want to be in THIS program in particular?  I had good things to say regarding (a) (previous solo teaching experience when I was ABD in anthropology, plus I worked for Princeton Review for a few years), and while I'd already spoken to (b) in my SoP, it was a good opportunity to elaborate. I felt like it was the kind of thing where, if I was already ahead of others, I solidified my position, but if others were ahead of me, I didn't lose ground.  So we'll see, I guess.

Edited by ides-of-july

20 hours ago, IvanC said:

How do they know it’s been exceptionally competitive this year? ???

À few things. I've seen many schools not having an application this cycle, so no one will apply or get accepted. This makes people go to other schools and in a time where they'd normally go to these schools that don't accept anyone this year, they now have to settle for their second or third choice. 

Reduced fundings. Many schools will have less fundings, meaning that they can't accept as many students. 

Some students also deferred last year and will start this year which also reduce available spots. 

Grad school is seen as a place of financial security and stability. In times of economic difficulties like now it can attract many people and cause others who would have taken gap year to apply earlier. 

Essentially :this year there are more people concentrated to fewer places who can accept less students than usual. 

On 1/13/2021 at 12:52 AM, Tamchel said:

À few things. I've seen many schools not having an application this cycle, so no one will apply or get accepted. This makes people go to other schools and in a time where they'd normally go to these schools that don't accept anyone this year, they now have to settle for their second or third choice. 

Reduced fundings. Many schools will have less fundings, meaning that they can't accept as many students. 

Some students also deferred last year and will start this year which also reduce available spots. 

Grad school is seen as a place of financial security and stability. In times of economic difficulties like now it can attract many people and cause others who would have taken gap year to apply earlier. 

Essentially :this year there are more people concentrated to fewer places who can accept less students than usual. 

Everything you said makes sense. I emailed my POI yesterday to know if she had any updates on my status, and this is what she replied: 

It's a perfectly reasonable question! We had a larger than normal number of applicants this year, so it is taking us a bit longer than usual to make our admission decisions. You should expect to hear from us in the next 2-3 weeks. 

Anyone have any suggestions for how to interview with a grad program? I received an interview invitation with Indiana-Bloomington for the French Linguistics department.

On 1/27/2021 at 10:24 PM, kso1634 said:

Anyone have any suggestions for how to interview with a grad program? I received an interview invitation with Indiana-Bloomington for the French Linguistics department.

Just be yourself! Everything is going to work out well! 

My first official interview (I say official because I’ve been interview by lots of professors before applying to the programs) happened in December and it was really easy. They asked me just a couple of questions, it wasn’t longer than 20 minutes. They just wanted to know about my research and if I’d be willing to teach Composition to native (and non-native) undergrad students. 

You know, at the moment I thought “I nailed this interview”, but after a few hours I realized I could’ve done better. Instead of answering  “I’m okay with that. I have experience teaching native and non-native students”, I should have said “It will be an amazing experience. I’m sure I’ll enjoy it because I like challenges... blah blah blah” ? Which is true!!!! Even though I have 18 yrs of experience teaching all kinds of students, I’ve never taught undergrad students. But it’s too late now.... I hope they liked my interview anyways.

I’m pretty sure you’ll do great! ? 

are people still applying to schools? i currently finished 5 on my list and still got 3-4 left. not sure if i want to apply to one of them. but i just got rejected by uoft and am currently super worried that i wont be accepted in to any of the programs

10 hours ago, IvanC said:

Has anyone ever been interviewed by UIUC? If so, can you please tell me how it went. I believe I’ll be interview this Saturday. 

Hi IvanC, I'm also interviewing with them next week!

If you are applying to their MATESL, then here is what I went through three years ago. Basically they asked me why TESOL, why degree program, what you wish to accomplish in their program, what's you teaching philosophy (hint: they are student-centered, agianst lectures/grammar focused) I remember it being brief, like less than 20 minutes? Also, they specifically asked me if I was interested in their TAship. My impression was that they were testing my language proficiency (I'm an international applicant ) as a potential TA rather than my qualification for the program. From your previous posts I would say you don't need to worry! 

However, if you are meeting with them for PhD, I would appreciate it if you can share some with me after! 

Fingers crossed ? for both of us!!!

Edited by AmeliaP

14 hours ago, AmeliaP said:

If you are applying to their MATESL, then here is what I went through three years ago. Basically they asked me why TESOL, why degree program, what you wish to accomplish in their program, what's you teaching philosophy (hint: they are student-centered, agianst lectures/grammar focused) I remember it being brief, like less than 20 minutes? Also, they specifically asked me if I was interested in their TAship. My impression was that they were testing my language proficiency (I'm an international applicant ) as a potential TA rather than my qualification for the program. From your previous posts I would say you don't need to worry! 

However, if you are meeting with them for PhD, I would appreciate it if you can share some with me after! 

Hi, Amelia,

Thank you so much for your detailed description of the interview. In fact, I applied to the MATESL, so your tips will help me a lot. 

It’s so interesting you mentioned they’re student-centered and against grammar/lecture focused. I’ve used TBL and Communicative Approach for 18 years, so I believe I’m a good fit! ?

Sorry for not being able to help you with your interview. The good thing is that you already know the faculty members. You’ll nail this interview. 

????for both of us! 

21 hours ago, elismom said:

are people still applying to schools? i currently finished 5 on my list and still got 3-4 left. not sure if i want to apply to one of them. but i just got rejected by uoft and am currently super worried that i wont be accepted in to any of the programs

Why are you worried about that? Just because you got a rejection? Everyone is different, but I think 5 is enough! 

On 2/4/2021 at 2:57 PM, AmeliaP said:

Hi, Amelia! Me again! 

I had a blast yesterday. I was interviewed by 4 professors, they asked me only 4 questions, but we talked for 31 minutes. It was really amazing and I believe they liked the chat. 

UIUC is an awesome university. I just hope I get in! 

Good luck on your interview! I’m rooting for you! 

On 2/6/2021 at 4:59 AM, AnxiousBeaver said:

Yep! I only applied to 5 schools this year and I've gotten into 3 of them!

I only applied to 3 schools! ???

BTW, congratulations on your acceptances! Have you decided which offer you’ll accept?