Will you take the GRE for Fall 2021?

Sarahrn10000000

Question

Hi, I am looking to apply for Master's programs for the Fall 2021 semester. Basically all the schools I am interested have made the GRE optional. I don't know yet if I will send my scores but I am just curious if I don't if I will be in good company. For those of you applying for Fall 2021, will you be skipping the GRE?

13 answers to this question

I will be taking it! Not sure if I will send my scores yet to the schools that are optional. I am under the impression I can choose where scores get sent after, and in some cases, and since my GPA is on the lower side (3.0) and I dont have many quant courses, I need a quant score that will show some capability of statistics and rigorous analysis for MPP coursework (both in the program and after).

On 11/8/2020 at 12:43 PM, wildchartermage said:

I just took it and got a score of 322 overall so I'll be sending them to my MBA and MPP programs.

You do realize that although MBA schools will accept GREs, they are generally much less likely to award scholarship for GRE test takers and strongly prefer GMAT to justify scholarships!

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

1 hour ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

You do realize that although MBA schools will accept GREs, they are generally much less likely to award scholarship for GRE test takers and strongly prefer GMAT to justify scholarships!

Do you have proof or something like that? This is the first I've heard about this.

Just now, wildchartermage said:

Do you have proof or something like that? This is the first I've heard about this.

My proof is that I don’t know a single person who got a scholarship from my year group in MBA (granted it was 4 years ago) who took the GRE.

The reason is because all the ranking magazines like US News, Financial Times, and Poets and Quants only track GMAT scores. So you getting a good GRE doesn’t help a schools rankings. Now some schools are changing, but GMAT for scholarships is the general rule.

I decided to not take the GRE because I am applying to a master's program in applied math. I don't see the point of taking a high school level math exam + a spelling bee wanna be to justify that I am qualified for grad level math courses. Any program that think I should be wasting my time memorizing vocabularies is not a program I want to goto.