(Canada 2021) MPP/MPA Applications

BTF

4 minutes ago, DunnS said:

Thank you, I was in shock when Jas (admin) called to tell me I was accepted to the program, I actually asked her if she was sure that it wasn't a mistake ?‍♀️

Good luck with your applications!!

lol that would be me tbh. thank you!

3 hours ago, DunnS said:

Hi All :) 

I work full-time in Toronto so my options for programs were a bit limited in terms of part-time programs, so I applied to both York's MPPAL and Ryerson's program on part-time basis.

I was accepted to the MPPAL back in late January, and have accepted my offer as it was first preferred choice (overall better program and much more impressive alumni list). I haven't heard from Ryerson but the Admin had said earliest they will reach out is end of February.  

I thought I would provide my stats as a thank you to all those who provided theirs in years past on here, hope it helps someone else out! 

Education:

HBA in Speech & Language Science (cGPA: 3.33, 2yrGPA: 3.67) - I made deans list 4th year and had some extenuating circumstances which I noted in my letter that impacted my grades in first and second year.

Post-Grad Certificate in Public Admin to be conferred June 2021 (cGPA: 3.83, completed PT while working). Completed a survey assignment at part of a course that related to my work place, my research from the survey ended up being presented to senior management.

Work: Worked at a crown agency for 6 years (summer student to contact centre representative to an office administrator to my current role as a workforce analyst)

Volunteer/Leadership Experience: Note-Taker (undergrad), VP of HR Students Offering Support (undergrad for 1 year), Pan Am/Parapan Ambassador, Toronto Distress Line Volunteer & Trainer

References: two profs from post-grad who were really supportive and my manager

Overall I kept my resume short, total of 1.5ish pages with only 2-3 points for each work experience and 1 line for volunteer. For my education portion, I did specify major research poster assignments, any scholarships, and related research accomplishments (i.e. my above survey presentation to senior management). I also put both cumulative GPA and Final 2 year GPA.

Congratulations on your acceptance and thank you for sharing! this was very informative :)

I have applied to Ryerson mppa fall 2021 full time, so your info helped my anxiety a little as I wasn't sure if first batch of admission letters have been sent out yet lol

The wait is so hard! 

keeping my fingers crossed!

32 minutes ago, TSK said:

Has anyone heard back from the Carleton MPPA program? Or know when they usual send out acceptance letters? 

I haven't applied to Carleton but looking at forums from previous years, I'm pretty sure they typically start their first round of acceptances at the end of Feb/beginning of March. 

21 hours ago, thevibe said:

Congratulations on your acceptance and thank you for sharing! this was very informative :)

I have applied to Ryerson mppa fall 2021 full time, so your info helped my anxiety a little as I wasn't sure if first batch of admission letters have been sent out yet lol

The wait is so hard! 

keeping my fingers crossed!

Did you reach out to the Program Officer? Just wondering, since I applied for Ryerson MPPA part-time and still waiting on a response from them.

Although, based on previous forums and alumni from the program apparently they always send out acceptances later on (end of March - early April).

9 hours ago, aj23 said:

Did you reach out to the Program Officer? Just wondering, since I applied for Ryerson MPPA part-time and still waiting on a response from them.

Although, based on previous forums and alumni from the program apparently they always send out acceptances later on (end of March - early April).

I did they said they plan to send out admission letters end of the month up until April/May. 

But as you say, based on previous post from alumni, I think it is common for Ryerson to send out their admission letters late...

so we'll just have to wait I guess?

On 2/17/2021 at 4:18 PM, aj23 said:

I applied to Waterloo as well. I imagine we wont hear back till early/mid-March since the deadline to submit supporting documents was the 14th. 

Keep me posted if you hear anything from them. 

Received an unofficial offer from the director via email ! The portal will change in 2/3 weeks time 

56 minutes ago, residenttomalito said:

Received an unofficial offer from the director via email ! The portal will change in 2/3 weeks time 

Thats amazing, congratulations!

Did he send you an email offer/e-letter? Or did he tell you he will be sending you an offer?

1 minute ago, aj23 said:

Thats amazing, congratulations!

Did he send you an email offer/e-letter? Or did he tell you he will be sending you an offer?

Thank you ! Yes he sent me an email saying I will be receiving an offer of admission and that it is conditional as the grad office has to make sure that I meet the admission requirements. 

2 minutes ago, residenttomalito said:

Thank you ! Yes he sent me an email saying I will be receiving an offer of admission and that it is conditional as the grad office has to make sure that I meet the admission requirements. 

Awesome, that's amazing!!!

I actually received an email a few days ago from the Director as well saying how he will be sending me an offer of admission but its also conditional on the grad office's review so I didn't want to push my luck and announce it to the world. ?

I'll keep you updated if and when I receive any updates for the Director/Waterloo! Nice to know i've made at least one friend virtually if we both attend the program. ?

Just now, aj23 said:

Awesome, that's amazing!!!

I actually received an email a few days ago from the Director as well saying how he will be sending me an offer of admission but its also conditional on the grad office's review so I didn't want to push my luck and announce it to the world. ?

I'll keep you updated if and when I receive any updates for the Director/Waterloo! Nice to know i've made at least one friend virtually if we both attend the program. ?

Congrats :D Yes a virtual friend in these challenging times, we shall keep in touch !

7 minutes ago, leungpxchy said:

Just got an email for an offer from Waterloo MPS!! I'm ecstatic and mostly likely will be accepting the offer. Email says Quest will be updated in about two weeks. 

CONGRATS !!! Happy for you, I went to Waterloo for undergrad and had some of the profs in the program. I really think you will love it ! I am still trying to decide if I will accept Waterloo as I also applied to Carleton but both are amazing programs !

7 minutes ago, residenttomalito said:

CONGRATS !!! Happy for you, I went to Waterloo for undergrad and had some of the profs in the program. I really think you will love it ! I am still trying to decide if I will accept Waterloo as I also applied to Carleton but both are amazing programs !

Thank you so much!! I applied to Carelton too but I'm pretty sure I'll be accepting my offer for Waterloo as it's good for both federal and provincial government jobs

12 minutes ago, FMBY said:

Congrats to all on their admissions to the MPS program! I received an offer from Queens this morning. Still waiting on Munk and Carleton, best of luck to all! 

Congrats! :D would you be comfortable sharing your stats? 

8 minutes ago, 1m26c4u said:

Congrats! :D would you be comfortable sharing your stats? 

For sure:

Education: Honours Specialization in Political Science, graduating in April 2021.

cGPA is just over a 3.3, L2 is 3.85.

Work experience: Worked in regional government for three consecutive summers, started off in administrative roles but worked as a research/policy intern in the summer of 2020. 

EC's: Senior editor for an undergraduate political science journal, was also a writer for an undergraduate international relations journal. 

References: Honestly, I was worried about my references because they were two profs who had taught me in 2-3 classes before, but I never built a strong personal relationship with them by any means. This was definitely the most stressful part of my application. I also had one professional reference from an executive staff member at the regional government I worked for, which I was really happy with.  

Applied to Queens MPA, York MPPAL, Munk MPP and Carleton MPPA. Accepted into Queens and York and waiting to hear back from Munk and Carleton. Best of luck to all! 

12 minutes ago, FMBY said:

For sure:

Education: Honours Specialization in Political Science, graduating in April 2021.

cGPA is just over a 3.3, L2 is 3.85.

Work experience: Worked in regional government for three consecutive summers, started off in administrative roles but worked as a research/policy intern in the summer of 2020. 

EC's: Senior editor for an undergraduate political science journal, was also a writer for an undergraduate international relations journal. 

References: Honestly, I was worried about my references because they were two profs who had taught me in 2-3 classes before, but I never built a strong personal relationship with them by any means. This was definitely the most stressful part of my application. I also had one professional reference from an executive staff member at the regional government I worked for, which I was really happy with.  

Applied to Queens MPA, York MPPAL, Munk MPP and Carleton MPPA. Accepted into Queens and York and waiting to hear back from Munk and Carleton. Best of luck to all! 

Thanks for sharing! That's really relieving to hear, especially bc we have similar stats (with LORs and work experience especially)

8 minutes ago, leungpxchy said:

LOL i thought Queen's didn't send me an offer but they did!! TWO OFFERS IN ONE DAY: QUEENS AND WATERLOO. I'm conflicted now Congrats to everyone else who got their offer :) 

Congratulations!! Right there with you. I'll probably be choosing Queen's for the 15k cost difference. I did like Waterloo's structure and co-op opportunities though ?