(Canada 2021) MPP/MPA Applications

BTF

HI everyone!

I've been accepted to the Carleton MPPA and have a deadline to accept by March 19th. I've also applied to the UW MPS but haven't heard back from them. These are my top 2 choices, and I don't want to make a final decision until I get a response back from both. Would it be acceptable to email Waterloo to ask about my application? Or email Carleton for more time? If I were to email UW would it be wise to mention that I have another offer with a deadline?

I really wasn't expecting to get into Carleton at all based on my background so I am not sure how to deal with this situation.

Thanks!

Just now, peppermills said:

HI everyone!

I've been accepted to the Carleton MPPA and have a deadline to accept by March 19th. I've also applied to the UW MPS but haven't heard back from them. These are my top 2 choices, and I don't want to make a final decision until I get a response back from both. Would it be acceptable to email Waterloo to ask about my application? Or email Carleton for more time? If I were to email UW would it be wise to mention that I have another offer with a deadline?

I really wasn't expecting to get into Carleton at all based on my background so I am not sure how to deal with this situation.

Thanks!

Do both.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:48 PM, residenttomalito said:

To people who received offers of admission to 

- Waterloo MPS

- Munk School 

- Carleton SSPA 

When do admissions usually come out? I know it is different every year but I just want a general sense of when to expect decisions.

got my offer letter of feb 17th to the munk school

4 hours ago, ggkk_the_game said:

Hey Ive been accepted to munk too on feb 17th ! with a scholarship ! Looking forward to connecting with you

Congrats!! Is it for the MGA program?

Hi there,

New to this forum! Just wondering if anyone knows when Calgary typically responds back with decisions for their MPP program? I haven't been able to find a thread that talks a lot about schools in western/central Canada so hoping someone here can provide some insight.

35 minutes ago, Franco123 said:

Does anyone know when McGill tends to get back on MPP's? I applied to both that and Poli sci and I am ANXIOUS

Hi Franco123 I am also still waiting to hear back on the MPP! Someone did confirm in this thread that they heard on Feb 19th (I think it was). I’m assuming they were part of the first earlier batches sent for review. Anxious with you!!

Question. I’m hoping on getting into Carleton. Would be my top choice. I’m not sure if I’d be required to take microeconomics, and I think I’ll be credited for Macro though. However, my issue is that I’d have to take these course(s) during the summer and my summer enrolment date at my home institution is this coming week. Is it worth emailing them to see what update Carleton can provide to me? Or should I just wait it out. I don’t want to be harassing admissions hahah 

2 hours ago, newbie2020 said:

Question. I’m hoping on getting into Carleton. Would be my top choice. I’m not sure if I’d be required to take microeconomics, and I think I’ll be credited for Macro though. However, my issue is that I’d have to take these course(s) during the summer and my summer enrolment date at my home institution is this coming week. Is it worth emailing them to see what update Carleton can provide to me? Or should I just wait it out. I don’t want to be harassing admissions hahah 

Email and ask.

On 3/5/2021 at 8:30 AM, galleb61 said:

Hi there,

New to this forum! Just wondering if anyone knows when Calgary typically responds back with decisions for their MPP program? I haven't been able to find a thread that talks a lot about schools in western/central Canada so hoping someone here can provide some insight.

Hi! I also applied to Calgary and no news yet. It seems like in previous years it's been around April/May, based on my anxious googling since we passed the 4 week mark on their FAQ. I'm guessing it's going to be similar if not worse this year with everyone in the public policy department WFH. Let me know if you hear anything!

On 2/23/2021 at 1:01 PM, DunnS said:

Hi All :) 

I work full-time in Toronto so my options for programs were a bit limited in terms of part-time programs, so I applied to both York's MPPAL and Ryerson's program on part-time basis.

I was accepted to the MPPAL back in late January, and have accepted my offer as it was first preferred choice (overall better program and much more impressive alumni list). I haven't heard from Ryerson but the Admin had said earliest they will reach out is end of February.  

I thought I would provide my stats as a thank you to all those who provided theirs in years past on here, hope it helps someone else out! 

Education:

HBA in Speech & Language Science (cGPA: 3.33, 2yrGPA: 3.67) - I made deans list 4th year and had some extenuating circumstances which I noted in my letter that impacted my grades in first and second year.

Post-Grad Certificate in Public Admin to be conferred June 2021 (cGPA: 3.83, completed PT while working). Completed a survey assignment at part of a course that related to my work place, my research from the survey ended up being presented to senior management.

Work: Worked at a crown agency for 6 years (summer student to contact centre representative to an office administrator to my current role as a workforce analyst)

Volunteer/Leadership Experience: Note-Taker (undergrad), VP of HR Students Offering Support (undergrad for 1 year), Pan Am/Parapan Ambassador, Toronto Distress Line Volunteer & Trainer

References: two profs from post-grad who were really supportive and my manager

Overall I kept my resume short, total of 1.5ish pages with only 2-3 points for each work experience and 1 line for volunteer. For my education portion, I did specify major research poster assignments, any scholarships, and related research accomplishments (i.e. my above survey presentation to senior management). I also put both cumulative GPA and Final 2 year GPA.

Congrats! Very similar situation with you working full-time in Toronto and limited programs option. I just got accepted into the MPPAL recently as well. Also applied for McMaster MBA as a 2nd option and still waiting decision.

On 3/5/2021 at 10:30 AM, galleb61 said:

Hi there,

I received admission to Calgary on Feb 19

8 hours ago, newbie2020 said:

I found out that I was waitlisted at Carleton’s MPPA, they said that they’d look again after March19th when people decided their offers from the first round... Anyone with any experience in this? Does the waitlist move around a lot? 

How do you know you got waitlisted? Did they reach out to you?

11 hours ago, young98 said:

How do you know you got waitlisted? Did they reach out to you?

I asked them because my home institution’s summer school registration was today and I haven’t taken intro to micro. So, the grad supervisor gave me some insight on my application!