MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

9 minutes ago, Sofullsofull said:

Hi,  What do you think about the VCU painting program?

I look at the faculty members and there is only one painter as faculty. And I am worrying now.

Do you have any insight on the painting program?

It's not a bad program if you are into many disciplines with your art practice. I knew of one painter there right now at VCU but her work falls into more traditional fare.

1 hour ago, Hphphphp said:

Waitlisted at Yale ?

I did get into UCLA tho. but idk if I am gonna be able to go because I am having issues with my residency :( ahhh... 

Fingers crossed that you get accepted. Do not lose hope yet- it could happen!! ??

5 minutes ago, NoraEllie said:

Anyone who was accepted into a Yale Painting/Printmaking- can you please share your website if comfortable? I’d love to see!!!

NoraEllie, I was wondering whether you heard back from any of the places you applied to yet?

4 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

NoraEllie, I was wondering whether you heard back from any of the places you applied to yet?

Had my second interview at Parsons- Yale and Parsons were the only schools I applied to. I had high hopes for Yale and was thinking of applying again with a stronger portfolio. I also have a bachelors in Biology and just hope that doesn’t degrade my love for art and wanting to get an MFA. Parsons isn’t worth the debt for me, tbh. 

Edited by NoraEllie

waitlisted at Yale (painting and printmaking), this was my second time interviewing, first time was rejected after the interview. I think reapply would get the applicant a better chance, but it doesn't guarantee much, also thinking about the time, money and energy invested. Unfortunately, It also seems difficult to get off waitlist this year, as only 12 students (as oppose to 21) will be accepted. Best of luck to everyone waiting. 

Edited by xzg

1 hour ago, Hphphphp said:

Waitlisted at Yale ?

I did get into UCLA tho. but idk if I am gonna be able to go because I am having issues with my residency :( ahhh... 

Congrats on UCLA! ?

Wishing you luck on Yale. ? If you are comfortable with sharing your thoughts on your interview I would love to know. 

Just curious, to hear what it's like...

1 hour ago, SocialKonstruct said:

It's not a bad program if you are into many disciplines with your art practice. I knew of one painter there right now at VCU but her work falls into more traditional fare.

Thanks for your answer. What does she think about the program? Is she satisfied with the program? 

27 minutes ago, xzg said:

waitlisted at Yale (painting and printmaking), this was my second time interviewing, first time was rejected after the interview. I think reapply would get the applicant a better chance, but it doesn't guarantee much, also thinking about the time, money and energy invested. Unfortunately, It also seems difficult to get off waitlist this year, as only 12 students (as oppose to 21) will be accepted. Best of luck to everyone waiting. 

? I'm sorry to hear that. How many are usually waitlisted for the program? Hopefully you can join the cohort. ?

Was this your second time applying to Yale (painting/printmaking)? 

If you don't mind sharing...would like to know what you felt was different in your second interview compared to your first? 

Crossing fingers.

On 3/5/2021 at 10:49 AM, Killerdonuts said:

Any word from Tyler, folks? ? They are my top choice and still no word after a late January interview. Trying not to think about it every minute of every day. ?

I got an email that they are experiencing some delays and that I should hear from them in the next few weeks!

34 minutes ago, Bluebluepie said:

Congrats on UCLA! ?

Wishing you luck on Yale. ? If you are comfortable with sharing your thoughts on your interview I would love to know. 

Just curious, to hear what it's like...

Thank you ?

interview with UCLA or Yale?

So I was rejected from Yale after interviewing which is really hard obviously. 
I’m trying to see the bright side though. I have acceptances to UW and goldsmiths and I also was accepted to Tulane today. I feel like I’m leaning towards Tulane because they are funded with a stipend.   They are definitely encouraging me to decide soon too. If anyone has any advice please let me know. 

5 minutes ago, Scrambledmegs said:

I’m trying to see the bright side though. I have acceptances to UW and goldsmiths and I also was accepted to Tulane today. I feel like I’m leaning towards Tulane because they are funded with a stipend.   They are definitely encouraging me to decide soon too. If anyone has any advice please let me know. 

It is great that you have so many choices. What department are you in? 
I personally heard really wonderful things about Goldsmiths. 

8 minutes ago, Scrambledmegs said:

Do you know how big Tulane’s cohort this year is? I applied for Photo but they never got back to me so I assume it is no interview and a rejection obviously. 
i also thought that UW also gives full ride and some sort of a stipend, no?

52 minutes ago, Sofullsofull said:

Thanks for your answer. What does she think about the program? Is she satisfied with the program? 

I think so but sadly enough, our gallery had a falling out with her studio to be honest. She is very talented however. It is very experimental but I think her work is  on the spectrum is being much more traditional than the other students she is with.

1 hour ago, xzg said:

Also Yale doesn't "allow" more than 3 times to apply there.

19 minutes ago, Scrambledmegs said:

Your rejection is extremely shocking to me because your work is exceptional and extremely detailed. Also, I recall you saying that you have a BS- did they ask you anything about that? And how did the interview go?

Anyways, their loss. Keep hustling. 

?

Edited by NoraEllie

20 minutes ago, NoraEllie said:

Your rejection is extremely shocking to me because your work is exceptional and extremely detailed. Also, I recall you saying that you have a BS- did they ask you anything about that? And how did the interview go?

Anyways, their loss. Keep hustling. 

?

Yale is pretty conceptually driven and less about the perfection of craftsmanship... also their painting/printmaking dept wants to emphasize intersectionality so they like to keep a racially/culturally/sexual diverse group. Perfect drawings rendered in the academic style is going to be a huge no for that program.

11 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Yale is pretty conceptually driven and less about the perfection of craftsmanship... also their painting/printmaking dept wants to emphasize intersectionality so they like to keep a racially/culturally/sexual diverse group. Perfect drawings rendered in the academic style is going to be a huge no for that program.

That’s honestly what I love about the program. How diverse it is. I’m middle eastern/Asian and I’ve always been the only one in all my schools attended, Lol. I’ve also seen the works of students in the past and it’s so exceptionally different and unique. I completely get your point. 

Just now, NoraEllie said:

That’s honestly what I love about the program. How diverse it is. I’m middle eastern/Asian and I’ve always been the only one in all my schools attended, Lol. I’ve also seen the works of students in the past and it’s so exceptionally different and unique. I completely get your point. 

Yes... one of the reasons for Yale being such as a mover and shaker is that people from all walks of life enter into the program. That is a huge bonus for me when I apply next fall. Living here in Utah is completely torture culturally for me. It's just a bunch of mostly white pro-Trump folks here. Very inspirational for my cynical political art but I cannot sustain that forever.

I plan to keep my house here but I will have to get a second studio/apartment in either NYC/LA. As a conceptual artist, I have no future in Utah unless some miracle is wrought. Yale and UCLA offer relatively radical programs that fits in with my neo-Marxist, pretty left-wing Muslim/Sufist belief systems.

4 hours ago, Hphphphp said:

Waitlisted at Yale ?

Congrats! Which program at UCLA did you get into?