MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

On 3/30/2021 at 4:37 AM, XSX said:

Painting people: Here's where I'm at, and I would appreciate any advice. Trying to decide between Boston University and VCU at the moment. VCU offered me both years of tuition covered plus a TAship/stipend each year. Boston U offered me 80% scholarship, which means I would pay $5,700 per year attend. Obviously, VCU is the better deal financially. What excites me most about Boston U is the faculty and how well connected they seem to be. Also, moving to a faster-paced, bigger city is appealing. I'm currently based in the Midwest, and Richmond seems real similar to the city I currently live in.

I've spoken with students from each school and I still can't really gauge what the difference is regarding each program. I know VCU was hot back in the early 2000s back when Richard Roth was still there. I can't really tell what the vibe there is now though. 

Anyone have thoughts on this? The VCU deal is hard to ignore, but I saw someone on here turned down all of their fully-funded packages to go to Goldsmith's, so like, money doesn't really matter. I'm so used to being poor that it doesn't matter. Many thanks ya'll!

Guess we'll be in the same cohort if you decide on BU.

Hello!

Any accepted VCU Photo and Film prospective students out there? I'm currently waitlisted at UofArk and got accepted into VCU (Still waiting to hear back about funding) and don't know what to doooo. The april 15th deadline is stressing me out because i have to let VCU know while i still might not know about Arkansas

Edited by elix

On 4/4/2021 at 1:44 PM, Strawberrycat said:

Guys, I got into USC and was offered a $20k fellowship for the first year, which is so nice, but is still way too expensive for me (?) so I know I have to try to negotiate, but am very scared to. Is anyone who has experience negotiating willing to chat with me a bit? 

Hi! I got into USC too, but I am considering between SVA and USC. Are you going to USC?  

Edited by abstract bananapie

Hi!

I'm still waiting to hear admission decisions from the following 3 schools, please let me know if you've already been notified from these programs:

• The University of Columbia
  • The University of Connecticut
  • The University of Delaware

These are the programs I got accepted to and when:

• The University of South Dakota, accepted February 2020 (deferred)
  • Brooklyn College, accepted 3/15/2021 (declined because of cost)
  • The University of South Florida, accepted 3/19/2021. I got a full tuition Waiver and a 10K stipend. 

These are the programs I was waitlisted for:

--University of Arkansas, waitlisted on 2/16/2021

These are the programs I was rejected from:

• Yale, notified 2/7/2021
  • Saic, notified 2/2/2021
  • IU Bloomington 3/12/2021
  • The University of Louisiana, Tulane, notified 3/24/2021 

On 4/3/2021 at 7:03 AM, everyonelikesbubbles said:

Since I've been posting here a lot, thought I'd share the final tally:

Columbia - sculpture - accepted 

MIT - art, culture & technology - accepted

RISD - sculpture - accepted

Goldsmiths - fine art - accepted

Bard - sculpture - interviewed / waitlisted

UCLA - sculpture -rejected (no interview, requested info from my recommenders)

Yale - sculpture -rejected

Having difficulty making the final decision! Let's see! Hearing so much drama from Columbia definitely doesn't inspire confidence there.

it's none of my business nor I have any say in this, but still --- don't go for Columbia! it's not worth it. More than one current students told me they either regretted it or are disappointed in the program in different ways. I won't support that program.

On 4/5/2021 at 9:12 PM, Adegboyega1979 said:

Please is there anyone accepted to West Virginia University MFA Painting here that was given funding of any form? I was accepted but they said there is no funding at this time and they will let me know if there is any change as regards funding. 

Please I need replies to this ?. I am new to schools in the USA. 

11 hours ago, ThisSideOfPairOfDice said:

Hi!

I'm still waiting to hear admission decisions from the following 3 schools, please let me know if you've already been notified from these programs:

• The University of Columbia
  • The University of Connecticut
  • The University of Delaware

These are the programs I got accepted to and when:

• The University of South Dakota, accepted February 2020 (deferred)
  • Brooklyn College, accepted 3/15/2021 (declined because of cost)
  • The University of South Florida, accepted 3/19/2021. I got a full tuition Waiver and a 10K stipend. 

These are the programs I was waitlisted for:

--University of Arkansas, waitlisted on 2/16/2021

These are the programs I was rejected from:

• Yale, notified 2/7/2021
  • Saic, notified 2/2/2021
  • IU Bloomington 3/12/2021
  • The University of Louisiana, Tulane, notified 3/24/2021 

***I forgot to specify that I applied for painting***

On 3/29/2021 at 3:37 PM, XSX said:

Painting people: Here's where I'm at, and I would appreciate any advice. Trying to decide between Boston University and VCU at the moment. VCU offered me both years of tuition covered plus a TAship/stipend each year. Boston U offered me 80% scholarship, which means I would pay $5,700 per year attend. Obviously, VCU is the better deal financially. What excites me most about Boston U is the faculty and how well connected they seem to be. Also, moving to a faster-paced, bigger city is appealing. I'm currently based in the Midwest, and Richmond seems real similar to the city I currently live in.

I've spoken with students from each school and I still can't really gauge what the difference is regarding each program. I know VCU was hot back in the early 2000s back when Richard Roth was still there. I can't really tell what the vibe there is now though. 

Anyone have thoughts on this? The VCU deal is hard to ignore, but I saw someone on here turned down all of their fully-funded packages to go to Goldsmith's, so like, money doesn't really matter. I'm so used to being poor that it doesn't matter. Many thanks ya'll!

Congratulations! Personally, as a fellow poor person who went into vast debts for undergrad, I would recommend VCU. It is still one of the better state universities and its name does carry a good bit of weight, and combined with the financial aid package, it’s pretty enticing; you can make waves wherever you go.

HOWEVER. If you really have your heart set on Boston, you might be able to negotiate a full tuition waiver. You won’t have a stipend to help with housing, but at least tuition will be covered. 

I’m selecting my schools exclusively on financial aid. I really wanted to go to Brooklyn College for painting, but after getting accepted, I found out they lied about offering incoming graduate students scholarships. I turned them down for USF, which offered a tuition waiver and stipend. I doubt USF has much weight in the national art community, but it’s facilities and funding are really good. 

On 3/30/2021 at 10:27 PM, zizu said:

Officially accepted an offer from Cranbrook painting! Anyone else joining next fall?

I may go there still deciding, what makes you decide?

1 hour ago, YT_A said:

I may go there still deciding, what makes you decide?

Amazing congratulations! I live in Brooklyn, NY and feel it's so hard to focus here so I was craving isolation and access to nature. I also really like the open curriculum model. It was between Cranbrook, Pratt or SVA and the latter two schools have curriculums that seem to mirror undergrad. I have had my own studio practice the past two years and I felt Cranbrook built upon it best with the most freedom! I also identify with the work. :) Hope this helps! Maybe I will see you in the fall! Were you accepted for painting?

9 minutes ago, zizu said:

Amazing congratulations! I live in Brooklyn, NY and feel it's so hard to focus here so I was craving isolation and access to nature. I also really like the open curriculum model. It was between Cranbrook, Pratt or SVA and the latter two schools have curriculums that seem to mirror undergrad. I have had my own studio practice the past two years and I felt Cranbrook built upon it best with the most freedom! I also identify with the work. :) Hope this helps! Maybe I will see you in the fall! Were you accepted for painting?

Thank you! Congratulations to you too!

Yeah I was accepted for painting last year and had to defer for one year because of covid. I agree that isolation can bring focus towards making art/studying/improving skills (or whatever you need from the school side to be an art worker) , which was my undergrad experience a few years ago. I am battling between some other reasons that I guess are irrelevant to how the school is ?

You seem to know exactly what you need and why, thats very nice. Congrats again.

8 hours ago, teetertotterr said:

i'm struggling so hard with this last min choice...

Go to the school that's farthest from where you live and is known for partying. Meet beautiful people and hang where the kool kids rule! Have fun, get away from everything familiar, and make fantastic art that everyone likes and can identify with. If that's in Chicagaz-0, hit that up. If it's in Yew Nork, do dat den..

Bam...