MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

20 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Rutgers is definitely on my radar to apply for within 1.5 years. I expect art schools to get much more competitive. Places like Columbia are going to be harder to get into I suspect. Will find out sooner or later.

Artist statements/statement of intent should be interesting to write. 500 words or less I think? I plan to write a separate statement for every place I apply to.

Yeah, it is a really good program (imo). It will be interesting. I definitely expect funded programs to become more competitive but I really wonder if low funding schools like Columbia and SAIC will start to become less competitive --if the economy continues to tank. But who knows. 

Yeah, I'm going to tailor part of my statement to each school and some schools require a somewhat different statement. Like in the Yale Painting info session they said, "no jargon" vs. a school like MIT which is highly theoretical. But yeah, 500 words or some schools say 1 page. Include a what, how, and why. The reviewers should not be confused about why your work and your statement seem unrelated. One prof of mine said that they literally put the statement up on the screen while they look through your work in order to understand your work. My undergrad had us do a couple artist statement exercises which were very helpful but I still find it incredibly challenging to write about work in a concrete way. Another tip I received from my undergrad profs is to make sure to always use the description space that many schools have in your portfolio. Usually you get 200 words per description. Many applicants ignore that space but actually it is a great way to get in a lot more information. 

Edited by theundoing

It's cool I stumbled upon this forum. I'm also in the process of applying to MFA programs. I have BA in Film from UNLV and a BFA in Art from Arizona State. The programs I'm applying to are USC, UC San Diego, CCA, Otis, and University of Arizona. It's unfortunate UCLA isn't taking anyone in for photography. USC was highly recommended to me by my professors at ASU. They had the controversy but the program has had a complete overhaul and the faculty are really serious artists with real credentials. Plus their studios are in the Arts District in Downtown LA. UCLA and Otis are also in the Arts District but in Culver City. I mainly picked schools where art is thriving with the exception of Arizona only because the faculty there meet my interests in art. I will say after speaking with my professors that a lot of them at the well known schools know each other and that helps a lot in the process especially if they are writing your rec letters. I've gotten intros and have had zoom meetings with people in certain programs because my professors know a lot these art professors around the country. Just like anything in life, it's who you know. Don't get me wrong, the portfolio and artist statement are the main factors, but it doesn't hurt to have a foot in the door already. This same professor also didn't recommend Cal Arts to me because of the cost and lack of funding and she used to teach there. I actually appreciate the honesty. This professor was frank with me and said the rankings are always shaky because of professors coming and going from the programs. The main advice was look at the faculty at a school and look at their work. Is that someone you want to work with in your time there. CCA funding may not be the best, but I like San Francisco. Same with Otis. Main I reason I'm applying to Otis was I liked their pitch when I went to their virtual info session. But we'll see. I see a lot of people are specializing in photo/moving image/video which is what I'm doing. If that's the case University of Arizona is really good. I know I said rankings shouldn't matter but they are #3 if you want to do photography. University of New Mexico was also highly recommended to me but I don't think I can do Albuquerque. It's great if your work is very environmentally themed. Good luck to everyone in the process. It's a strange year to apply.

Edited by BlackSheepCollective

On 11/6/2020 at 7:13 AM, Lemon2Lemonade said:

Stanford University's Art Practice MFA program has decided not to admit new master’s students for study beginning Autumn 2021, and the graduate application has been closed.

UNC-Chapel Hill Art and Art History Department "Due to the extraordinary circumstances created by the pandemic, we are not accepting MFA students for the 2021-2022 school year"

Northwestern University MFA in Art, Theory and Practice "As of December 7, the Northwestern University Art, Theory and Practice Department is currently pausing the application process while options are evaluated regarding the Fall 2021 cohort and larger program needs. An update as to whether the application process will re-open will be shared no later than Tuesday, December 15, 2020, and will be announced on the Applications webpage." 

Edited by Lemon2Lemonade

3 hours ago, Lemon2Lemonade said:

UNC-Chapel Hill Art and Art History Department "Due to the extraordinary circumstances created by the pandemic, we are not accepting MFA students for the 2021-2022 school year"

Northwestern University MFA in Art, Theory and Practice "As of December 7, the Northwestern University Art, Theory and Practice Department is currently pausing the application process while options are evaluated regarding the Fall 2021 cohort and larger program needs. An update as to whether the application process will re-open will be shared no later than Tuesday, December 15, 2020, and will be announced on the Applications webpage." 

Yale Sculpture will only accept 1 student. Yale painting will only except 10 (versus the normal 16)

42 minutes ago, incoming first year mfa said:

I heard Yale Sculpture is accepting around 3-4, from the virtual info session last month. Has it changed?

In the painting info session they said 1 person from sculpture . But the sculpture info session would be more accurate re: sculpture. And yeah in that video above that SocialKonstruct posted the slide says 4 from sculpture. 

ylae.png

Edited by theundoing

3 minutes ago, theundoing said:

In the painting info session they said 1 person from sculpture . But I assume the sculpture info session would be more accurate re: sculpture and the Dean likely misspoke. And yeah in that video above that SocialKonstruct posted the slide says 4 from sculpture. 

ylae.png

Yikes either way! Such a small # of accepted applicants for the coming year...but good to know, thanks!

Just now, incoming first year mfa said:

Yikes either way! Such a small # of accepted applicants for the coming year...but good to know, thanks!

it is so small. but maybe far fewer students will apply this year. It seems possible from the low activity on this forum compared to previous years.

Hello - it's that time of the year - gRaD apPlication season.. I feel like I'm applying quite late but better to dip my toes in than never. Not sure if 2021 is the best year, but I'd like to try.

Schools that I'm applying to (focuses in printmaking and/or painting):

- University of Oregon
- University of Michigan
- UC San Diego
- Oxford Ruskin Art School
- UCLA
- UC Irvine
- University of South Florida
- University of Notre Dame

I'm leaning towards a lot of UC schools because I'm highly interested in researching East Asian diasporic/immigrant communities for my art as well as the activism. 

I'm applying to Oregon - but it seems like they're well known for print making? I'd like to get your opinions :)

Feel free to check out my art as well. I primarily do digital art. 

https://donapark.com/

https://www.instagram.com/itsadona/

13 hours ago, incoming first year mfa said:

I heard Yale Sculpture is accepting around 3-4, from the virtual info session last month. Has it changed?

I don't think so... most likely sculpture will be harder to get in whether it's 1 or 3-4. When I apply there I will go for all three categories mainly because I haven't a clue whether my conceptual art will go best in any although tbh I am leaning towards photography.

Edited by SocialKonstruct

10 hours ago, dinkywinks said:

Hello - it's that time of the year - gRaD apPlication season.. I feel like I'm applying quite late but better to dip my toes in than never. Not sure if 2021 is the best year, but I'd like to try.

Schools that I'm applying to (focuses in printmaking and/or painting):

- University of Oregon
- University of Michigan
- UC San Diego
- Oxford Ruskin Art School
- UCLA
- UC Irvine
- University of South Florida
- University of Notre Dame

I'm leaning towards a lot of UC schools because I'm highly interested in researching East Asian diasporic/immigrant communities for my art as well as the activism. 

I'm applying to Oregon - but it seems like they're well known for print making? I'd like to get your opinions :)

Feel free to check out my art as well. I primarily do digital art. 

https://donapark.com/

https://www.instagram.com/itsadona/

Thanks for sharing. I gather that you are leaning towards printmaking but I looked over your website and curious if you find your practice closer to that of graphic design?

14 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Thanks for sharing. I gather that you are leaning towards printmaking but I looked over your website and curious if you find your practice closer to that of graphic design?

To be frank, I was looking at MFA programs in illustration, which is suited to the work I am doing- unfortunately it looks like there's not a lot or are available at AI schools, which I can't afford ?. I'm hoping to transition my digital work into the fine arts.

I'm trying to steer clear of graphic design because I am currently working as a graphic designer + book designer and I'm not great at handling client-based work. I'm sure it can be just as creative, but working under NGOs and companies, it's not the creative outlet I'm passionate about. 

Quick question to those who come from non-traditional backgrounds:

who will you ask for your letter of recommendation? 

I'm asking my work supervisor/director, my old college Art prof advisor, and was considering one of my History or English profs who I have a good relationship with still. 

I've heard that its helpful to have people in the Arts, but I come from a varied background in int'l development. IF anyone can offer advice, that would be gold.

9 hours ago, lizavetar96 said:

Hey, guys

Do anyone of you know if Portland University MFA offers full funding or any good scholarships?

Not sure but that is listed here for your interest- https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-15-top-art-schools-united-states

6 hours ago, dinkywinks said:

I'm asking my work supervisor/director, my old college Art prof advisor, and was considering one of my History or English profs who I have a good relationship with still. 

I've heard that its helpful to have people in the Arts, but I come from a varied background in int'l development. IF anyone can offer advice, that would be gold.

My gut feeling is that it is ideal to ask for letters from folks who can attest to your ability to develop as an artist and evolve in your art practice. If your history professor can talk about how you will become a more refined artist then the person would be good to ask.

16 hours ago, dinkywinks said:

I would call the schools you are applying to. Some schools really do only want letters from people who can speak directly to your art practice. Other schools might be more open. Usually the admissions office will happily answer this type of question for you.