MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

On 1/4/2021 at 6:33 AM, theundoing said:

Hey,

If you want to submit higher dpi for other schools that allow it ...it might be better? But it depends on your images and if detail is super important. I think 72 dpi should be fine but some advice websites say 240 dpi. You could save your original file as both 72 and 240 and submit 240 to the places that allow it. Just don't try to go from 72 to 240 because it will mess up the image (which you may already know but I've just had a steep learning curve with documentation of my work)

That's a good idea. Thanks for your input!!

On 1/9/2021 at 12:30 PM, 123123435 said:

So how did applications wrap up with everyone in the end?

Anyone here apply to Bard for painting? RISD?

UCLA, Hunter, Yale - painting

Bard - Photo

I heard that the entire Bard painting 1st years will be 1st years again in 2021 (due to the way that they structured their pandemic response) so I assume they will accept fewer students. I wish everyone was as transparent as Yale. 

On 12/24/2020 at 12:27 PM, cornchip said:

haven't posted on here in a minute. I have decided not to apply to any programs this year for a variety of reasons. the way I see it, there is no harm in waiting. I heard someone refer to an MFA as a 'get out of jail free card,' which I kind of like. takes the pressure off of trying to rush there from my undergrad. 

in the meantime I'm continuing to make work in my home, which has proved to be difficult and I'm sure a lot of you can understand this struggle. 

a few questions for the thread in general...

post-undergrad, where/how have you continued to make work? i.e. do you make art in your home, a studio, do you have a part time job, full time job, is art your job?

and

have you found any community of artists where you are able to share ideas and critique each other?

on that note, I'll drop my website, comments and criticism always welcome ?

I finished undergrad in 2015 and sent out my first large batch of grad applications this year. 

I think there is an important aspect in waiting. It allows you to figure out your practice outside of an education setting. I saw it as an opportunity to “make it” with a BFA, or at least try! 

I had a gap of not making and struggling to find a job in my field, but I buckled down and ultimately got a job as a ceramics technician at a college, where I have worked for the last three years. My studio as ranged from a corner in my bedroom to a collective studio and now my garage! If you’re hungry to make art, you will find a way. 

4 hours ago, Painfullywaiting said:

Has anyone applied to ceramics programs? I’ve applied to Alfred, Cranbrook, VCU, Tyler, Penn state, UO, UW, PNCA, and Uni of Colorado Boulder. 

I have an interview with Tyler this week. Did not expect it so quickly! 

Not ceramics, but I applied for the craft & materials studies department at VCU as well, but that's awesome you've already got an interview for a school! Several of my applications aren't even due till the 15th, haha

Good luck!!! 

1 hour ago, aniben3 said:

Not ceramics, but I applied for the craft & materials studies department at VCU as well, but that's awesome you've already got an interview for a school! Several of my applications aren't even due till the 15th, haha

Good luck!!! 

Ah! Thank you. I believe applications  were due on the 5th for Tyler so I was extremely surprised and now the nerves have hit! 

Many programs I’ve applied to are interdisciplinary, so it’s craft and material studies for me as well. It does seem that VCU is a big hit this year! 

Good luck with your applications! 

On 1/10/2021 at 2:49 PM, theundoing said:

UCLA, Hunter, Yale - painting

Bard - Photo

I heard that the entire Bard painting 1st years will be 1st years again in 2021 (due to the way that they structured their pandemic response) so I assume they will accept fewer students. I wish everyone was as transparent as Yale. 

Yikes doesnt sound promising for Bard for painting applicants ... Seems like they only have 2 spots then? ?

41 minutes ago, 123123435 said:

Yikes doesnt sound promising for Bard for painting applicants ... Seems like they only have 2 spots then? ?

I'm not sure. I only have the inside scoop through my friend who is in photo. In photo 1 person will return as a first year and they will accept at least 3. But apparently cohort's can be as large as 7 people. Admissions might be willing to tell you how many painting will be accepting. 

Edited by theundoing

On 10/24/2020 at 7:16 PM, SocialKonstruct said:

Any other interdisciplinary programs out there that come recommended? 

Low Res MFA at PNCA. Unusual but strong, international faculty. Interdisciplinary. https://pnca.edu/academics/graduate/lrvs/faculty-facilities

Simon Fraser, great location, cool faculty https://www.sfu.ca/sca/programs/mfa.html

UofA Solid faculty. https://pnca.edu/academics/graduate/lrvs/faculty-facilities

Hartford, cool residency opportunities. https://www.hartford.edu/academics/schools-colleges/art/academics/graduate/interdisciplinary-art.aspx

Edited by Highlow
+More

4 hours ago, incoming first year mfa said:

Hunter only allows 10 image portfolio, vs the usual 20 images. Is it better to show a more concise body of work in the past 2 years, or a bit more range from the past 3?

I'm going for more concise, but a crap shoot depending on jury.

5 hours ago, incoming first year mfa said:

Hunter only allows 10 image portfolio, vs the usual 20 images. Is it better to show a more concise body of work in the past 2 years, or a bit more range from the past 3?

I'm also applying to Hunter. I am showing more concise but my statement is very focused on my current body of work. Maybe consider what would pair the best with your statement? If it is a long term interest where the range strengthens your body of work...maybe go with the range?

7 hours ago, theundoing said:

I'm also applying to Hunter. I am showing more concise but my statement is very focused on my current body of work. Maybe consider what would pair the best with your statement? If it is a long term interest where the range strengthens your body of work...maybe go with the range?

Hunter is also pretty diverse. They have a large pool of folks so they can have a large number of categories to engage with.

http://www.huntermfastudio.org/students

Edited by SocialKonstruct

13 hours ago, incoming first year mfa said:

One route could be to go focused for the portfolio and then use a personal website to present more of the older work and then link to it in your CV or elsewhere

On 1/11/2021 at 6:42 PM, Highlow said:

Low Residency MFA looks like a great idea right about now, and generally should be re evaluated as top priorities. Anyone applying to Low Res MFAs?

I'm a fan. Would love to see even more schools with low res programs across the states.

14 hours ago, incoming first year mfa said:

Regarding this question, this article in Artsy (https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-7-tips-applying-art-school-top-admissions-officers) has a portion where they interview Carrie Moyer, the head of the MFA department at Hunter. Regarding the portfolio, she mentions: “I’m interested in seeing slides that show a person’s ability to grow,” said Moyer. “One of the mistakes that potential students often make is they give you 10 to 15 images of the same body of work. That’s not as interesting as having the person demonstrate that they had a few different ideas, and how those things have become manifest. It’s really important to show that you have an intellectual flexibility around where the ideas will go.”

Also for the statement portion of the Hunter, Carrie states that: Moyer noted that she wants to learn from the essay why the applicant has chosen art as a means of expressing their ideas. “We are living in a world where there are so many artists, so knowing what the impetus is is really important,” she explained.

I'm applying to Hunter this year as well. I got in last year but didn't go. They allowed a deferment to Spring 2021, but I declined that as well due to Covid. I have interviewed with several professors and with Carrie twice. I'd be happy to answer any questions people have. Hunter is generally looking for older people, or people who have experience "in the real world" as Carrie said. One mistake I made the first year I applied was mentioning that I wanted to teach or get into the art education field as well. Carrie doesn't like that as a reason for pursuing an MFA.