MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

On 12/19/2020 at 1:32 PM, theundoing said:

I would call the schools you are applying to. Some schools really do only want letters from people who can speak directly to your art practice. Other schools might be more open. Usually the admissions office will happily answer this type of question for you. 1

Hi! I asked my high school teacher who is a professor now. She spent 3 years with me and was my mentor! I also asked my friends who practice in the field and one of them is my curator who has hosted my exhibitions in the past! You can definitely find some people- shouldn't be too hard! Good luck!

Edited by NoraEllie

On 12/18/2020 at 9:09 PM, dinkywinks said:

Quick question to those who come from non-traditional backgrounds:

who will you ask for your letter of recommendation? 

I'm asking my work supervisor/director, my old college Art prof advisor, and was considering one of my History or English profs who I have a good relationship with still. 

I've heard that its helpful to have people in the Arts, but I come from a varied background in int'l development. IF anyone can offer advice, that would be gold.

Sorry, accidentally quoted someone else; still figuring out how to work this forum. 

Hi! I asked my high school teacher who is a professor now; she spent 3 years with me and was my mentor! I also asked my friends who practice in the field and one of them is my curator who has hosted my exhibitions in the past! You can definitely find some people- shouldn't be too hard! Good luck!

Edited by NoraEllie
Fixed mistake

5 hours ago, NoraEllie said:

Sorry, accidentally quoted someone else; still figuring out how to work this forum. 

Hi! I asked my high school teacher who is a professor now; she spent 3 years with me and was my mentor! I also asked my friends who practice in the field and one of them is my curator who has hosted my exhibitions in the past! You can definitely find some people- shouldn't be too hard! Good luck!

Thanks Nora. Do you have an art website which I could peruse?

7 hours ago, NoraEllie said:

This is very helpful :) Thank you! Seems like academics + arts advisors are in order. I also consulted my former art advisor and he had similar opinions!

haven't posted on here in a minute. I have decided not to apply to any programs this year for a variety of reasons. the way I see it, there is no harm in waiting. I heard someone refer to an MFA as a 'get out of jail free card,' which I kind of like. takes the pressure off of trying to rush there from my undergrad. 

in the meantime I'm continuing to make work in my home, which has proved to be difficult and I'm sure a lot of you can understand this struggle. 

a few questions for the thread in general...

post-undergrad, where/how have you continued to make work? i.e. do you make art in your home, a studio, do you have a part time job, full time job, is art your job?

and

have you found any community of artists where you are able to share ideas and critique each other?

on that note, I'll drop my website, comments and criticism always welcome ?

10 hours ago, cornchip said:

haven't posted on here in a minute. I have decided not to apply to any programs this year for a variety of reasons. the way I see it, there is no harm in waiting. I heard someone refer to an MFA as a 'get out of jail free card,' which I kind of like. takes the pressure off of trying to rush there from my undergrad. 

in the meantime I'm continuing to make work in my home, which has proved to be difficult and I'm sure a lot of you can understand this struggle. 

post-undergrad, where/how have you continued to make work? i.e. do you make art in your home, a studio, do you have a part time job, full time job, is art your job?

and

have you found any community of artists where you are able to share ideas and critique each other?

I am not a post-undergrad but I have made a ton of connections via my SVA online residency which I did last summer. I also applied for this upcoming semester as well. I am a full-time student with no job and right now I am running a new art gallery while going to school and maintaining a steady practice.

On 12/25/2020 at 5:27 AM, cornchip said:

and

I'm six years out of undergrad, and waiting has just made me more eager for grad school. It really gave me a chance to lock down what I'm interested in. Nothing wrong with waiting, especially this year. 

I have a full time teaching job (not art), but I make work in my home during my free time. It hasn't always been easy, I had to rethink my work with all the constraints (material-wise & space) but honestly I think these perimeters have been helpful in the long run. Since there's not an art community where I'm at, I try to supplement by reading critical theory.? (One of the reasons I'm so ready to go back to school tbh)

Also, your website is so nice, and your work is so lovely. I'd love to learn more about it! 

On 12/25/2020 at 1:31 AM, SocialKonstruct said:

I am not a post-undergrad but I have made a ton of connections via my SVA online residency which I did last summer. I also applied for this upcoming semester as well. I am a full-time student with no job and right now I am running a new art gallery while going to school and maintaining a steady practice.

an online residency sounds great...maybe that'll be something for me to look into. sounds like you are doing a lot atm!

12 hours ago, aniben3 said:

I'm six years out of undergrad, and waiting has just made me more eager for grad school. It really gave me a chance to lock down what I'm interested in. Nothing wrong with waiting, especially this year. 

I have a full time teaching job (not art), but I make work in my home during my free time. It hasn't always been easy, I had to rethink my work with all the constraints (material-wise & space) but honestly I think these perimeters have been helpful in the long run. Since there's not an art community where I'm at, I try to supplement by reading critical theory.? (One of the reasons I'm so ready to go back to school tbh)

Also, your website is so nice, and your work is so lovely. I'd love to learn more about it! 

I was looking to get into teaching, even if it's not art. the skill translates well if you ever want to teach art during/after an MFA. 
Thank you!  nearly all the pieces on my website are made with paper in some way. I have been thinking about if I would want to get an MFA in fiber arts vs. sculpture. I think in previous posts you have made you mentioned you are a fiber artist? what materials do you use?

1 hour ago, cornchip said:

I was looking to get into teaching, even if it's not art. the skill translates well if you ever want to teach art during/after an MFA. 
Thank you!  nearly all the pieces on my website are made with paper in some way. I have been thinking about if I would want to get an MFA in fiber arts vs. sculpture. I think in previous posts you have made you mentioned you are a fiber artist? what materials do you use?

I agree, and I think teaching experience would also be beneficial if you were trying to get into a better funded program (public universities.) I've looked at current graduate students at some of the schools I've applied to and several of them have previous teaching experience. Definitely couldn't hurt to look for some opportunities. 

I have a sculpture background and during my preliminary research on potential schools I noticed that a lot of sculpture programs lean towards the digital or performance. Nothing wrong with that of course, but my interest leans more to handwork, community, gender, & labor - concepts that are all heavily discussed in fiber programs. I think that's what drew me towards fiber, and now I currently do a lot of quilting. It is my hope to expand into making environments & to engage with the community through fiber. (I'm applying to schools that will allow me to take folklore classes too.) My thought would be while making the decision (and you could even apply to both in some schools!) would be to see what their program focuses on, whether it's the little blurb on the website or faculty work, and if there are other opportunities within the schools. (I contacted a few graduate programs and was pleasantly surprised to be put into contact with current professors and we were able to talk about what the programs entailed over zoom.)

I have definitely seen paper in fiber programs, and so many are interdisciplinary as it is that I think you would be fine either way. My kneejerk reaction would be fiber, but I guess it comes down to what you see as the conceptual leanings behind your work and where you'd like it to go.

(As for websites, here's mine)

Edited by aniben3

23 hours ago, aniben3 said:

I agree, and I think teaching experience would also be beneficial if you were trying to get into a better funded program (public universities.) I've looked at current graduate students at some of the schools I've applied to and several of them have previous teaching experience. Definitely couldn't hurt to look for some opportunities. 

I have a sculpture background and during my preliminary research on potential schools I noticed that a lot of sculpture programs lean towards the digital or performance. Nothing wrong with that of course, but my interest leans more to handwork, community, gender, & labor - concepts that are all heavily discussed in fiber programs. I think that's what drew me towards fiber, and now I currently do a lot of quilting. It is my hope to expand into making environments & to engage with the community through fiber. (I'm applying to schools that will allow me to take folklore classes too.) My thought would be while making the decision (and you could even apply to both in some schools!) would be to see what their program focuses on, whether it's the little blurb on the website or faculty work, and if there are other opportunities within the schools. (I contacted a few graduate programs and was pleasantly surprised to be put into contact with current professors and we were able to talk about what the programs entailed over zoom.)

I have definitely seen paper in fiber programs, and so many are interdisciplinary as it is that I think you would be fine either way. My kneejerk reaction would be fiber, but I guess it comes down to what you see as the conceptual leanings behind your work and where you'd like it to go.

(As for websites, here's mine)

good advice. I think my main concern is that if I decide to move away from paper and use other sculptural materials, that I would feel constricted in a fiber program. but I will just continue to make the work I want and see where it leads me.

your site is beautiful! I am especially interested in the Bundles. 

On 12/27/2020 at 4:42 PM, cornchip said:

an online residency sounds great...maybe that'll be something for me to look into. sounds like you are doing a lot atm!

Thanks and yes I enjoy being busy... also I managed to start a new gallery here in downtown SLC so exciting times!

I have a question regarding portfolio? Are we encouraged to submit multiple pieces that lie around different subjects and are created in different mediums? I am only applying to Yale so this question is for those who have knowledge in what they are looking for? I mainly focus my work around middle eastern culture but I do have a few pieces that are completely a different abstract/modern subject. My art professor recommended submitted different ideas/subjects and mediums so it can come across that I can do different things. Help!!! lol

1 hour ago, NoraEllie said:

I have a question regarding portfolio? Are we encouraged to submit multiple pieces that lie around different subjects and are created in different mediums? I am only applying to Yale so this question is for those who have knowledge in what they are looking for? I mainly focus my work around middle eastern culture but I do have a few pieces that are completely a different abstract/modern subject. My art professor recommended submitted different ideas/subjects and mediums so it can come across that I can do different things. Help!!! lol

Everything I have read is to submit a cohesive body of work, not something that is all over the place. But I could see showing some other work if you think it is important. 

edit: When I applied (not to Yale), I only showed one body of work, and my artist statement was specifically for that body of work. This worked for me. 

Edited by SpillToBuilt

9 hours ago, NoraEllie said:

I can look over your portfolio if you wish to e-mail me regarding this :). Hope that helps.

21 hours ago, NoraEllie said:

In the Q&A session for Yale they implied that it should be one body of work that concentrates on a focused set of ideas.  That said if your focus or conceptual interest is somehow tied to exploration of different mediums you could probably make what you have cohesive. It seemed in the Q&A that they would rather have a page from your studio notebook that demonstrates how you are working through your conceptual framework than a random unrelated painting. 

Hey,

Would anyone be willing to look at a few of my images to let me know if they look too edited? I'm using adobe lightroom to color correct (I don't have professional lighting in my studio). I think I've adjusted the colors to be true but it is also hard for me to asses if I'm making them look fake? I can trade you my eyes for another task (looking over your statement, looking over your photos etc.)

6 hours ago, theundoing said:

Hey,

Would anyone be willing to look at a few of my images to let me know if they look too edited? I'm using adobe lightroom to color correct (I don't have professional lighting in my studio). I think I've adjusted the colors to be true but it is also hard for me to asses if I'm making them look fake? I can trade you my eyes for another task (looking over your statement, looking over your photos etc.)

I'll totally look them over! I've also had a tough time getting good lighting for my pieces and editing can be such a pain sometimes. you can message me 

First post in this thread, I forgot this thread existed until my applications were sent. 

Anyone else applying for printmaking out there? So far I have sent in applications for the following:

Tyler School of Art, SAIC, Maine College of Art

Still peaking my head at the following for maybe dropping an application shortly for:

Cornell, SMFA at Tufts, RISD, SUNY Purchase

Ultimately, I'm looking at schools on the east coast with a really robust print program.

Would love to hear from other printmakers applying! My info is below.

Site: jakelahah.com

Instagram: @slickjaketheruler

41 minutes ago, cornchip said:

I'll totally look them over! I've also had a tough time getting good lighting for my pieces and editing can be such a pain sometimes. you can message me 

thank you so much! I will message you. It is such a pain. I really can't tell if they should be brighter/more saturated or if they are too bright/over saturated

Edited by theundoing

16 hours ago, theundoing said:

Hey,

feel free to email me :)

Hi Everyone,

I really apologize if this is a stupid question, but what resolution should I submit the photographs of my work in? Iowa asks for 72 DPI with the longest dimension as 1240 pixels, do you think this would be suitable for each program? The other schools I am applying to don't list requirements/recommendations. 

Again, super sorry if that's a dumb question! 

8 hours ago, LaineyGrace said:

Hi Everyone,

I really apologize if this is a stupid question, but what resolution should I submit the photographs of my work in? Iowa asks for 72 DPI with the longest dimension as 1240 pixels, do you think this would be suitable for each program? The other schools I am applying to don't list requirements/recommendations. 

Yes if they don't say anything, that is.

10 hours ago, LaineyGrace said:

Hi Everyone,

Hey,

If you want to submit higher dpi for other schools that allow it ...it might be better? But it depends on your images and if detail is super important. I think 72 dpi should be fine but some advice websites say 240 dpi. You could save your original file as both 72 and 240 and submit 240 to the places that allow it. Just don't try to go from 72 to 240 because it will mess up the image (which you may already know but I've just had a steep learning curve with documentation of my work)