MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

On 10/30/2020 at 2:07 AM, incoming first year mfa said:

I have the ever-present question of "which genre/discipline do I choose for my application" looming over my head. I work typically in fiber, but I have made some installations and some flatter fiber works that may feel more painting-adjacent. It leans more craft than "New Media." Applying mainly to interdisciplinary programs...but many programs still ask you to identify a discipline. Does anyone have any insights/thoughts on how to approach this?

I tend to choose sculpture when there isn't an actual fiber program present because I have a background in sculpture, but also because I'm still constructing something in 3D even though it's flatter now. If it's craft adjacent like quilts etc., then you're still putting thought into the backing, and fiber is so fluid where you present it changes its context... I would personally choose sculpture unless you have a painting background. 

(This is why there needs to be more fiber programs imo because fiber has so many aspects to it lol)

Hi everyone,

I have lurked various MFA forums from previous years on here for the past couple months as I fill out my application, and I finally caved and made an account because I need some advice!  My boyfriend and I are applying to seven schools together.  He is applying for Physical Therapy school, and I am applying to get my MFA in Fiction.  He got his first acceptance letter today and it's all very exciting (despite the fact that I haven't even finished my applications yet and am in full panic mode currently). 

What I need some advice on is if/when we get our acceptances.  Most of his programs (besides the one he just got his acceptance for) require him to respond within 2 weeks with a non-refundable deposit of $500 if he chooses to accept his offer.  If he doesn't respond within two weeks, they move to the next person on the wait list.  The problem is, his applications were due already and some of mine aren't due until Jan-Feb.  So he will hear about his programs before I do from mine (the standard for his programs being to hear from mid January to early February), and it's obviously a time-sensitive offer because he only has two weeks.  Is there anything I can do (like ask programs for an earlier decision on my application) or anything he can do (like ask for an extension on whether he wants to go to their program or not)?  I realize this is kind of an odd question, but I am sure we're not the only two people to ever have been applying to grad school at the same time and stumble upon this problem. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially because I don't want to commit an MFA faux pas by doing something the admittance committee would consider to be rude or unprofessional.  Please let me know if you have any advice on this situation, and happy applying everyone!

Hannah

3 hours ago, hannahutter said:

Hi everyone,

I have lurked various MFA forums from previous years on here for the past couple months as I fill out my application, and I finally caved and made an account because I need some advice!  My boyfriend and I are applying to seven schools together.  He is applying for Physical Therapy school, and I am applying to get my MFA in Fiction.  He got his first acceptance letter today and it's all very exciting (despite the fact that I haven't even finished my applications yet and am in full panic mode currently). 

What I need some advice on is if/when we get our acceptances.  Most of his programs (besides the one he just got his acceptance for) require him to respond within 2 weeks with a non-refundable deposit of $500 if he chooses to accept his offer.  If he doesn't respond within two weeks, they move to the next person on the wait list.  The problem is, his applications were due already and some of mine aren't due until Jan-Feb.  So he will hear about his programs before I do from mine (the standard for his programs being to hear from mid January to early February), and it's obviously a time-sensitive offer because he only has two weeks.  Is there anything I can do (like ask programs for an earlier decision on my application) or anything he can do (like ask for an extension on whether he wants to go to their program or not)?  I realize this is kind of an odd question, but I am sure we're not the only two people to ever have been applying to grad school at the same time and stumble upon this problem. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially because I don't want to commit an MFA faux pas by doing something the admittance committee would consider to be rude or unprofessional.  Please let me know if you have any advice on this situation, and happy applying everyone!

Hannah

Hi Hannah, 

I'm pretty certain that nowhere would give you an early decision, unless it's a school that has an early acceptance program or early application period or something and specifies that. I'm not even sure if anywhere does that for grad school. I don't know much about writing programs, though.

I'd say there's more of a chance that they'd extend his deadline. I would ask for that. The worst that they can do is say no. Times are also weird right now, so there's a chance that they may be more understanding than in past years, but who knows. I would just be cautious about how the request is phrased, because some schools might not think the reasoning is professional, even though it's a real life, real world issue/reason to want an extension. Good luck with everything though! 

4 hours ago, hannahutter said:

Hi everyone,

Hannah

Also just to clarify, I might ask an admissions counselor at the school(s) some general questions about if it's a possibility, but probably wouldn't talk to the actual program about it until after he gets in. 

2 hours ago, Strawberrycat said:

Hi Hannah, 

I'm pretty certain that nowhere would give you an early decision, unless it's a school that has an early acceptance program or early application period or something and specifies that. I'm not even sure if anywhere does that for grad school. I don't know much about writing programs, though.

I'd say there's more of a chance that they'd extend his deadline. I would ask for that. The worst that they can do is say no. Times are also weird right now, so there's a chance that they may be more understanding than in past years, but who knows. I would just be cautious about how the request is phrased, because some schools might not think the reasoning is professional, even though it's a real life, real world issue/reason to want an extension. Good luck with everything though! 

Thank you for your input!  I definitely think it'll be easier to ask on his end, as asking for a rush response when admins are super busy reading applications seems rude at best for me to do.  I'll have him get in touch with advisors just to see what our options are.

21 hours ago, hannahutter said:

Hi everyone,

Hannah

Hi Hannah,

I've never heard of the possibility of an early decision. I have had a few professor's who also work on the admissions committee at various MFA programs and my understanding of the process is that they meet as a group to go over all the applications and select people for interviews, then they interview people over a few days (sometimes one day), then they meet as a group to discuss who they will offer a spot to. The decision is typically made holistically where they consider the applicants both individually and as a cohort so it isn't possible for an early decision to be made. Many MFA apps are due in January and final decisions don't roll out until March-ish. The process can be longer if you are waitlisted.

Most people I know who have been in this situation with a partner have selected a few cities that have numerous programs (like NYC or LA) and kind of focus in on those cities. I can see it being easier for your bf to request an extension but.....an extension until March sounds like it will be tough. I think interview decisions usually come out in February so maybe he could get them to hold out until then...but even in that case if you have interviews you won't know. Happy applying. 

Hi again, trying to compile a good list of schools in NYC and LA for MFA programs. For LA, does anyone have any info about USC? I was reading about some major student controversy a few years back, not sure if it was ironed out. Otherwise, CalArts and UCLA seem to be the only ones on my list. Does anyone have any other suggestions in SoCal?

On 11/1/2020 at 9:31 AM, hannahutter said:

Hi everyone,

Hannah

Was faced with same situation as to law and medical school. One, I would not ask for an earlier decision, as it’s just not appropriate. Two, you might have to make hard decisions as to what schools you both obtain admission. In my situation, while we did obtain admissions to schools in the relative same location, one of us decided to defer as it was too much a drop-off as the other person had been admitted to one of their premier schools in the field.

On 11/2/2020 at 11:35 AM, incoming first year mfa said:

Hi again, trying to compile a good list of schools in NYC and LA for MFA programs. For LA, does anyone have any info about USC? I was reading about some major student controversy a few years back, not sure if it was ironed out. Otherwise, CalArts and UCLA seem to be the only ones on my list. Does anyone have any other suggestions in SoCal?

Roski is rebuilding but sadly enough their prestige has dropped a lot and they haven't gotten their mojo back like during the late 1990's and early 2000's. UCLA and CalArts are pretty much the heavyweights in the LA area. Not much else honestly apart from Otis if you do paintings. But UCLA is pretty much the largest art MFA in terms of scope and cutting edge faculty.

On 11/2/2020 at 1:52 PM, XSX said:

Can anyone speak towards whether or not CalArts or ArtCenter offer any kind of funding to make their programs affordable? 

I don't think that during this time that financial aid will be increased. In fact, many school turned down the whole class in order to keep their current students viable. So I wouldn't hope for huge money to help out with these programs during the COVID-19 era.

On 11/1/2020 at 9:31 AM, hannahutter said:

Hi everyone,

Hannah

For fiction MFA's I would suggest posting under the literary arts MFA forum for more on point advice.

11 hours ago, Lemon2Lemonade said:

Stanford University's Art Practice MFA program has decided not to admit new master’s students for study beginning Autumn 2021, and the graduate application has been closed.

It is nice they are so supportive of their current students. My friend at Bard told me that the Bard director said they will put some students in tent studios next year as they don't have enough space to meet covid requirements. ....

4 hours ago, theundoing said:

It is nice they are so supportive of their current students. My friend at Bard told me that the Bard director said they will put some students in tent studios next year as they don't have enough space to meet covid requirements. ....

With MFA programs not taking on new students, is this due to funding the MFA students or just lack of studio space? I thought that MFA programs were paid by the student themselves so mostly they could be supporting themselves without any school funding?

8 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

With MFA programs not taking on new students, is this due to funding the MFA students or just lack of studio space? I thought that MFA programs were paid by the student themselves so mostly they could be supporting themselves without any school funding?

I'm guessing it depends on the school? Some schools will have an extra large class size due to their response to 2020. At Rutgers I know that the reason they are not accepting a new class is that they allowed the class of 2020 to stay an extra year so there is no space for a new class. Versus at Bard they let students stay an extra year but will also accept a new class. It seems that some of the schools who are accepting a new class will be extra crowded. (although I don't know too many specifics about schools where I don't have friends in attendance).

Hey everyone! I am at VCUarts right now. This forum was helpful to me when I was applying, so I am checking in to see how everyone's freak out is going! If anyone has any questions about VCU, I'd be happy to try to answer. I am in the Kinetic Imaging (time based and new media) program, and I also know VCU's other programs well, since we are all often together. 

It looks like the biggest issue this year is that some schools and programs are not accepting applicants this year. VCU definitely is. The VCU open house is this Saturday https://arts.vcu.edu/academics/graduate/virtual-open-house/

I also have experience all the way through the interview and decision process at several other schools (SAIC, Cranbrook, CalArts, University of Michigan, SVA, NYU, RISD, Columbia), particularly with new media, new genres, sound art, video art, art and technology, etc etc. so I might be able to answer questions about those as well.

Best of luck everyone!

10 hours ago, Eric from America said:

Hey everyone! I am at VCUarts right now. This forum was helpful to me when I was applying, so I am checking in to see how everyone's freak out is going! If anyone has any questions about VCU, I'd be happy to try to answer. I am in the Kinetic Imaging (time based and new media) program, and I also know VCU's other programs well, since we are all often together. 

It looks like the biggest issue this year is that some schools and programs are not accepting applicants this year. VCU definitely is. The VCU open house is this Saturday https://arts.vcu.edu/academics/graduate/virtual-open-house/

I also have experience all the way through the interview and decision process at several other schools (SAIC, Cranbrook, CalArts, University of Michigan, SVA, NYU, RISD, Columbia), particularly with new media, new genres, sound art, video art, art and technology, etc etc. so I might be able to answer questions about those as well.

Best of luck everyone!

Thanks Eric for piping in. What is an average day like at VCU MFA? Studio life? Able to meet and make new friends?

17 hours ago, Eric from America said:

Best of luck everyone!

VCU is one of my top choices so this is awesome! I was curious - are all mfa students at VCU funded? I wasn't entirely sure when I was looking at the website. Also, how do you like Richmond? 

hey again! 2 questions:

- Is it a good idea to reapply to MFA programs if they rejected you last year? Specifically Yale. This is considering that a huge portion of my portion of my portfolio is new and more resolved. Worth it or waste of application fee?

- How important are recommenders? Just have some trustworthy former profs, not many (if any) "star power" artists. Does anyone have insight on how selection committees look at recommendations?

Edited by incoming first year mfa

1 hour ago, incoming first year mfa said:

hey again! 2 questions:

- Is it a good idea to reapply to MFA programs if they rejected you last year? Specifically Yale. This is considering that a huge portion of my portion of my portfolio is new and more resolved. Worth it or waste of application fee?

- How important are recommenders? Just have some trustworthy former profs, not many (if any) "star power" artists. Does anyone have insight on how selection committees look at recommendations?

Yes I would reapply. I could look at your portfolio and essays if you want. Then def tell you whether it is likely.

4 hours ago, incoming first year mfa said:

hey again! 2 questions:

-yes! many of my friends got into their dream programs on the second (or third ) time applying. Additionally, Yale has gone through some changes very recently. Painting just appointed two new co-chairs (I think Rochelle Feinstein left last year or the year before) and Photo has AL Steiner as some sort of dean. You may also fit in better with a cohort this year. who knows. 

-this one really depends. A famous artist who really knows you and your work is the best option but a non-star artist who knows you and your work well is better than a star artist who will give you a template letter. ...non famous artists who are friends with the current faculty is also a pretty good option lol

On 11/9/2020 at 9:32 PM, SocialKonstruct said:

Thanks Eric for piping in. What is an average day like at VCU MFA? Studio life? Able to meet and make new friends?

Hi SocialKonstruct! The average day for me at VCUarts right now is that we have full access to our studios 24/7, and then 99.9% of classes meet over Zoom. Some people are choosing to work remotely from their home studios, whether in different cities, states, or countries. We still use exhibition spaces like crit rooms, student galleries, local galleries, etc. but just invite fewer people at a time for social distancing, we wear masks in common areas, etc. We have visiting artists doing lectures and/or studio visits over Zoom maybe once or twice a week. (I am actually typing this while also watching a Zoom artist roundtable.) 

That's all different of course from the "normal" way things were up until last spring.

And, yeah, definitely everybody will meet new people and can make new friends and contacts. All of VCU's MFA departments are pretty small, admitting from like 2 to 6 people per year, so there's not any real chance of being lost in a huge class, and there are also chances to meet people outside your own department, by taking each others classes, going to each other's shows, helping each other on projects, etc. All of that is probably true of most any art school, or at least most similarly-sized art schools. 

So yeah, VCU has done in my opinion a good job during this time, of keeping things safe and healthy while also giving me a great MFA experience. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if that's helpful or if anyone's got other questions.

On 11/10/2020 at 4:19 AM, aniben3 said:

VCU is one of my top choices so this is awesome! I was curious - are all mfa students at VCU funded? I wasn't entirely sure when I was looking at the website. Also, how do you like Richmond? 

Hi, Aniben3! I love Richmond. One of the reasons I chose VCU was because of its location. Part of that is the city itself, which is a very arts-friendly city (besides VCUarts, there's the Virginia Museum of Fine Art, VCU's Institute for Contemporary Art, many other local galleries and venues, good music scene, etc), and part of that is its proximity to places like Washington DC (3 hours by train) and New York (8 hours by train). COVID changed how often I took advantage of all that, of course.

As far as funding, definitely check with whichever specific departments you are applying to, because they vary, and can vary from year to year. In my particular case, I was offered an assistantship in my first year, so I paid no tuition, plus I was paid for teaching. That was good! I was not guaranteed an assistantship in my second year, so I made sure I changed my voter registration and everything ASAP in my first year so I would hopefully qualify for in-state tuition in my second year if I needed to. VCU is a state school, so its tuition is going to be less than a typical private school, and in-state tuition is less than that. In-state tuition at VCU is something like $14,000 a year if I recall.

I did end up getting another paid assistantship in my second year, which is maybe unusual due to COVID-related budget cuts. I also did get a separate scholarship that I applied to from the art school, and there are opportunities to apply for travel and exhibition grants from the art school as well. So, funding for me in my department was good, but I can't really speak for everyone else or what the budget situation may be like for next year. I hope that helps!