Gates Cambridge 2021-2022

aco2

17 hours ago, travel2020 said:

Heya

I didn't hear anything yesterday (would have been Arts panel, and I think other people in my program would have heard) - am I to assume that I am unsuccessful? Or is there some hope that it's staggered over a few days?

Thanks! 

If other folks in your same panel have heard, I’d start focusing on other Cambridge funding opportunities. If they haven’t, I’d hold on until next week. ??

13 minutes ago, Alpha_orionis said:

I heard back on Tuesday from the Physical Sciences panel. Don't know anyone in Engineering though.

Congratulations on becoming a finalist!

There are only 4 panels right? Arts, Social Sciences, Physical Sciences and Biological Sciences. 

So I'm guessing all the engineering candidates will be classified in the physical sciences panel. 

I'd written to the electronics engineering department regarding the status of my application. Still haven't heard back from them. 

Hi everyone,

I've been hoping to find an answer to a pressing question. I've applied for an MPhil in English Studies, and my application status is currently "under review by degree committee." Cambridge's website says that applications that have been approved by the department make it to this stage. How reliable is that? (I don't mean to suggest that Cambridge's own website is inaccurate; I just want to make sure). I've heard from other people on a different forum (the student room, a UK forum) that some are still "under review by department," while a few of them are in the same position as me. 

7 hours ago, sk_ceps said:

I read an article that there will be 60 scholarship holders this year and 24 have already been chosen from the United States.

I think you've gotten that a bit mixed up. There are generally ~80 scholarships each year, of which ~20 are from the US and the remaining 60 are international. It's not 60 scholarships all up. 

1 minute ago, scytoo said:

I think you've gotten that a bit mixed up. There are generally ~80 scholarships each year, of which ~20 are from the US and the remaining 60 are international. It's not 60 scholarships all up. 

Oh great! That's even better. Thank you for the information

1 hour ago, travel2020 said:

on a seperate note: if Gates doesn't come through, does anyone know when we can expect to hear from other funders? getting nervous haha 

From what I have gathered- In theory, Cambridge funding results start getting out after the last application deadline which is March 3. But in reality most begin to send out decisions in late March-early April. The entire process runs till June thereabouts, because some candidates that were awarded in the early phase may decline due to going elsewhere, or multiple awards (cos most funding bodies operate independently, but in the end nobody gets more than one full funding as the Trust coordinates everything).

So generally I’ll say from mid-March onwards.

Goodluck to us all. 

35 minutes ago, segz said:

From what I have gathered- In theory, Cambridge funding results start getting out after the last application deadline which is March 3. But in reality most begin to send out decisions in late March-early April. The entire process runs till June thereabouts, because some candidates that were awarded in the early phase may decline due to going elsewhere, or multiple awards (cos most funding bodies operate independently, but in the end nobody gets more than one full funding as the Trust coordinates everything).

So generally I’ll say from mid-March onwards.

Goodluck to us all. 

thanks! still a long wait then. Good luck :) 

17 hours ago, qm_or_gr said:

Hey, guys, do you know whether they send out rejections to the finalists only or to all applicants that haven't made it?

Apparently a bunch of people got rejection letters at the end of January, alongside the semi-finalists getting congrats letters. :( Idk what to expect, I got nothing ?

2 hours ago, Krea96 said:

Apparently a bunch of people got rejection letters at the end of January, alongside the semi-finalists getting congrats letters. :( Idk what to expect, I got nothing ?

oh gosh, i didn't realise that. Now I'm even more anxious, same position here. 

3 hours ago, Krea96 said:

Are you talking about this forum, or are they people you know?

US applicants who got to the finalist stage but weren't ultimately offered a scholarship got their rejection emails in late January. International applicants were notified of finalist status also in late January. So they're two separate groups at different stages of the application.

AFAIK internationals have not yet received any rejection emails from Gates, but will soonish (for those not selected as finalists). Then those who have heard they are finalists will get the final acceptance/rejection in March or April.

1 hour ago, scytoo said:

Are you talking about this forum, or are they people you know?

US applicants who got to the finalist stage but weren't ultimately offered a scholarship got their rejection emails in late January. International applicants were notified of finalist status also in late January. So they're two separate groups at different stages of the application.

AFAIK internationals have not yet received any rejection emails from Gates, but will soonish (for those not selected as finalists). Then those who have heard they are finalists will get the final acceptance/rejection in March or April.

International finalists applicants heard back almost universally on February 9 not in late January- I believe only the US shortlist round found out at the end of Jan. The email said final decisions would be released mid-March and be officially announced early April. I haven't heard yet of any rejection emails for the international round being released yet.