Gates Cambridge 2021-2022

aco2

Hey everyone! Does anyone know if we have to do anything about our conditional offers to make sure we're eligible for the Gates Cambridge? I'm from Canada and received my Cambridge offer last week but I have no idea if I need to take any action about it or if I can leave the self-service portal untouched. 

I don't think you need to do anything special to be eligible. Your department will rank (or has already ranked) applicants based on academic merit and nominate the best ones for Gates and all the other scholarships. Some departments will tell you if you've been nominated, others not. This step is based on what you originally submitted in your application, so it doesn't require any further action from you. Congrats for getting an offer and good luck! :)

On 2/4/2021 at 8:39 PM, peterpan1127 said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know -- or have some sense as to -- whether classes will be online next year?

I think we will still have some restrictions on gathering numbers, maybe wearing masks on public transport, but I'm pretty optimistic that we'll be back to some form of in-person teaching. They're on track to vaccinate all over-50's (with their first dose) by the end of May, and that covers the vast majority of people who are admitted to hospital with COVID, so I think risk will drop dramatically from there. I think all people at high risk should have both doses by October, plus a fair few of other groups.

@ethanmendell No idea, sorry! I hope you get good news soon.

Does someone know if the "finalists" are all the people who were nominated by their departments, or if there has already been further shortlisting by Gates?

Edited by Alpha_orionis

1 hour ago, LivKa said:

Has anyone heard anything for international Gates regarding social sciences?

I have, I received an email that I was shortlisted for the Social Sciences interview panel about an hour ago -- Hoping good news arrives in your inboxes soon!!

Edited by blacksnow25

29 minutes ago, blacksnow25 said:

I have, I received an email that I was shortlisted for the Social Sciences interview panel about an hour ago -- Hoping good news arrives in your inboxes soon!!

Congratulations! So they are doing interview this year?! Phew! I wasn't sure whether taking interview off the table was only for the US round or for both US and International.

8 minutes ago, cheshire said:

Congratulations! So they are doing interview this year?! Phew! I wasn't sure whether taking interview off the table was only for the US round or for both US and International.

They do list that the interview panel/I guess selection panel is the Social Sciences, but they also have clarified that they will not be conducting any interviews this year, and will instead do an online review of the application pack! So sorry for the confusion!

11 minutes ago, cheshire said:

No, they are not doing interviews for us either. The finalists that have been notified are the people who would usually be interviewed, but the email says that this year they will do a paper review of application documents instead.

Oh! My bad. I misunderstood. I was really hoping they would change their mind about interviewing so my wishful thinking morphed into misreading what you said.

But congratulations! It is a feat to be shortlisted. :) Good luck with the final round.

I am biting my nails very hard. No mail so far.