Gates Cambridge 2021-2022

aco2

2 hours ago, Afro Aniyunwiya said:

How long after your acceptance to your degree Program did you hear from the colleges?

I received my official offer letter from the PAO on November 23rd and was notified of college acceptance November 30th.

Just now, PhilgoreTrout said:

I received my official offer letter from the PAO on November 23rd and was notified of college acceptance November 30th.

What college were you accepted to? I've been accepted at Downing!

I'm an American applicant, applying for an M. Phil in education. My application has been "under review" since I submitted in early October. The only communication I've received from the university was an email on October 30th from the Faculty of Education Higher Degrees office letting me know that I would "be notified of the outcome from the Graduate Admissions team after 7th December." not sure how long after but here we are. 

3 hours ago, edumock said:

I'm an American applicant, applying for an M. Phil in education. My application has been "under review" since I submitted in early October. The only communication I've received from the university was an email on October 30th from the Faculty of Education Higher Degrees office letting me know that I would "be notified of the outcome from the Graduate Admissions team after 7th December." not sure how long after but here we are. 

Interesting, I never received that email... perhaps different concentrations handle things differently? No idea. Hopefully that's a good sign though, at least for you!

22 hours ago, creamofwheat said:

US applicant here. I also applied to the MPhil in education on Oct 13 and haven't heard back... am guessing it's a rejection on both counts at this point (which I expected, especially as I applied to the children's lit concentration), but perhaps they have only assessed PhD apps and not MPhil apps yet? Ha, one can hope!

Hey! I applied to the same concentration :) Last year they didn't accept anyone for that particular program til February, my app sat at "department review" for over five months. So don't give up hope on admissions or other funding yet!

6 minutes ago, Jillybean06 said:

Hey! I applied to the same concentration :) Last year they didn't accept anyone for that particular program til February, my app sat at "department review" for over five months. So don't give up hope on admissions or other funding yet!

if you're comfortable sharing, how much funding did you receive in February(could be actually amount or rough percentages of degree costs)? Do you have any sense what these funding decisions were based on?

32 minutes ago, Jillybean06 said:

Thanks for sharing, that's great to know!

Makes me wonder whether they even nominate children's lit Mphil folks for GC if they haven't admitted anyone yet... 

1 hour ago, creamofwheat said:

Thanks for sharing, that's great to know!

Makes me wonder whether they even nominate children's lit Mphil folks for GC if they haven't admitted anyone yet... 

The kidlit program is really young, so my guess is that it is more that, or perhaps they don't have a great baseline for competitively assessing the candidates against those for more well-established programs. Plus, there are fewer faculty associated with it.

2 hours ago, edumock said:

if you're comfortable sharing, how much funding did you receive in February(could be actually amount or rough percentages of degree costs)? Do you have any sense what these funding decisions were based on?

They made up the difference between a private scholarship I had and actual costs. I couldn't begin to guess what they base it on though. I have been in teaching several years, and seem to have a little different CV/ record than a lot of applicants, so it could have been atypical as well. Unfortunately, when my scholarship was canceled due to Covid, there wasn't any more funding big enough to get back to fully funded (I am unwilling to self-fund again :).

I did get the email about decisions coming after Dec. 7, so I don't think that was program specific!

And last year, rejections came out a week after the shortlisting emails, based on the old threads. 

2 hours ago, DeNovo said:

I'm also a finalist! Oddly though I have still not received the official admission from Cambridge. Still sitting on GAO... 

Sounds like your department might be a little slow on the website-facing end. It’s honestly more important that they passed your app to Gates Cambridge than that they let you know they loved your app. ? Hopefully you get your official letter soon!

Does anyone here have experience applying to 2 different departments at Cambridge? I recently submitted an application with a supervisor at the Department of Physics, and another professor just got back to me, willing to supervise me at the Institute of Astronomy. 

Am I allowed to tick the box for Gates in both applications? Is it acceptable to submit mostly identical documents (personal statements, Gates reference, etc) and just change the research proposal for the 2nd application, or could this negatively affect my chances?

Hello all! This is my first time posting! I received my invitation for interview by the department on November 9th, was accepted by the department on November 13th, and found out last Thursday that I am a finalist for Gates Cambridge with the physical sciences panel! I never expected to be considered and just started doing research over the weekend and from what I found, it looks that in normal years there was just a weekend of interviews - a Saturday and Sunday - one set in Seattle at the Gates Foundation and one set at Cambridge plus maybe some skype interviews aside. Assuming the days were max 9 hours of interviews, with 2 interviews/hour since each was 20-25 min, that would mean around ~80 interviews total for ~30ish places. At least that's my uninformed guess based on information from past years.  

Hey all!

I'm US applicant to the Gates-Cambridge for an MPhil in a social sciences field. 

My understanding from the posts is that finalists were contacted on the 10th? Is this for all (US & International) applicants? Just trying to figure out where that leaves me (presumably I'm not a finalist). 

Congrats to everyone who will be entering Fall 2021! :)

3 hours ago, Clif Bainbridge said:

Hey all!

I'm US applicant to the Gates-Cambridge for an MPhil in a social sciences field. 

My understanding from the posts is that finalists were contacted on the 10th? Is this for all (US & International) applicants? Just trying to figure out where that leaves me (presumably I'm not a finalist). 

Congrats to everyone who will be entering Fall 2021! :)

Seems like Round 1 (US scholars living in the US) finalists for the Social and Physical Sciences panels have been notified. Social Science finalist had to accept their finalist position Dec 14—not sure if there is a waiting list.