Teachers College: Columbia University, Fall 2021

Peacehappiness22

1 hour ago, plantsnpsych23 said:

is anyone else still waiting for their decision? I submitted my application to the SMB program on Jan 15 then had an interview 2/11. After that I heard nothing else. I emailed my liaison who said I should hear back by the end of March and tomorrow is April 1...

I submitted my application by the priority deadline January 15th for English Education MA and I have been told the same, and didn't receive any response yet... 

44 minutes ago, UnderConstruction said:

I submitted my application by the priority deadline January 15th for English Education MA and I have been told the same, and didn't receive any response yet... 

I emailed my admission liaison today and she said “you and others will receive your decision tomorrow after 5pm EST” so hopefully u’ll hear by tomorrow too!! 

Just now, plantsnpsych23 said:

I emailed my admission liaison today and she said “you and others will receive your decision tomorrow after 5pm EST” so hopefully u’ll hear by tomorrow too!! 

This is truly excruciating. On the website's FAQ, it says those who apply by the priority deadline should hear back by mid of March. What's taking so long? Has this ever happened before?

14 minutes ago, UnderConstruction said:

This is truly excruciating. On the website's FAQ, it says those who apply by the priority deadline should hear back by mid of March. What's taking so long? Has this ever happened before?

I agree. I looked at previous year’s admission forums and this seems to be a common pattern every year. They should provide better communication to us, but sadly all we can do is wait. I hope the news is good. 

10 hours ago, plantsnpsych23 said:

is anyone else still waiting for their decision? I submitted my application to the SMB program on Jan 15 then had an interview 2/11. After that I heard nothing else. I emailed my liaison who said I should hear back by the end of March and tomorrow is April 1...

I summited my application before the priority deadline and haven't heard back yet...  I emailed them once and them just said that my application is pending review... all I can do is waiting

20 hours ago, plantsnpsych23 said:

I agree. I looked at previous year’s admission forums and this seems to be a common pattern every year. They should provide better communication to us, but sadly all we can do is wait. I hope the news is good. 

I didn't know it was a common pattern every year, thank you for telling me, I thought something was different this year, I hope you receive good news ...

I applied to Columbias Ph.D. program and got denied but they offered to put my application into the Master's of Arts in Psychology in Education pool - which I responded to do with a yes please. (Fordham did the same thing with me too but I just got rejected yesterday.) However, they said that this is a whole separate review process that will take 6-8 weeks !! Kind of frustrating but does anyone know anything about this? TC. Columbia is my top school and I'm kind of nervous to keep waiting for another 2 months only to be rejected (again) but I'm trying to have positive thoughts. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 1:00 PM, psyched4socialpsych said:

Awesome! Congrats, and nice to meet you too :) I don't know anyone who has gone to TC so super glad to hear that everyone has had a positive experience.

So I got $15.5K for the first school year -- it's not clear to me if that # depends on taking 12 units per semester or whether I can take fewer (9 units or 6 units). It's also not clear that it'll be renewed year on year. Hopefully the # doesn't drop if you don't take a full load, since I'm planning on working part time and will probably only take 9 or 6 units. I'll ask fin aid and update you!

Is the Cogsci in Education Ph.D. program fully funded (tuition covered + stipend)? I know that clinical psych is (https://www.tc.columbia.edu/counseling-and-clinical-psychology/clinical/degrees--requirements/clinical-psychology-phd/funding/), but I'm curious about the Cogsci program! Did you get funding?

Hi! when you mention you got $15.5, was that from the TC Scholarship and Diversity Scholarship combined total? Also, did you fill out FAFSA to receive more financial aid or did everything from the former two I mentioned? I'm wondering because it seems like many people got $16K. My friend was also in TC (just graduated) and received 16K. I'm wondering how they determine what each application gets. My friend also informed me they don't renew it the following year :( 

7 hours ago, AspiringPsych said:

Hi! when you mention you got $15.5, was that from the TC Scholarship and Diversity Scholarship combined total? Also, did you fill out FAFSA to receive more financial aid or did everything from the former two I mentioned? I'm wondering because it seems like many people got $16K. My friend was also in TC (just graduated) and received 16K. I'm wondering how they determine what each application gets. My friend also informed me they don't renew it the following year :( 

Yes that is from the two scholarships combined. I did not fill out the FAFSA. Also wow that is such a bummer / a little sketch that they don't renew it. I asked about renewal to the financial aid office (data pts around avg scholarship in year 1 vs. year 2, % students who get a renewal of equal or greater amount, etc.) and they didn't answer those questions!

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for Instructional Technology and Media program by the final deadline and still anxiously waiting for the decision. On 30th April, all of my three recommenders were emailed by TC to submit a copy of recommendation letters and their name card/public website. Is that a bad sign or something? 

On 4/8/2021 at 1:15 AM, ahopefulgradstudent said:

I applied to Columbias Ph.D. program and got denied but they offered to put my application into the Master's of Arts in Psychology in Education pool - which I responded to do with a yes please. (Fordham did the same thing with me too but I just got rejected yesterday.) However, they said that this is a whole separate review process that will take 6-8 weeks !! Kind of frustrating but does anyone know anything about this? TC. Columbia is my top school and I'm kind of nervous to keep waiting for another 2 months only to be rejected (again) but I'm trying to have positive thoughts. :)

Did you hear back? Last week, I was told that they were currently looking at my application, and that it would be 1-2 weeks before I heard back. 

3 minutes ago, fafsaavoidant said:

Did you hear back? Last week, I was told that they were currently looking at my application, and that it would be 1-2 weeks before I heard back. 

I have not heard back! I did email someone last week and was told that the timeline remains the same - 6 to 8 weeks from the last week of March so we should be getting something at the end of May. Im so anxious!! Did you email someone to know that they were currently looking at your application?

Edited by ahopefulgradstudent

6 minutes ago, ahopefulgradstudent said:

I have not heard back! I did email someone last week and was told that the timeline remains the same - 6 to 8 weeks from the last week of March so we should be getting something at the end of May. Im so anxious!! Did you email someone to know that they were currently looking at your application?

Yep! I went into my application and there was a contact email somewhere in there. The response I got looked something like "Your application is actively being reviewed. Decisions for this batch of applications will hopefully be ready in 1-2 weeks"

4 minutes ago, fafsaavoidant said:

Yep! I went into my application and there was a contact email somewhere in there. The response I got looked something like "Your application is actively being reviewed. Decisions for this batch of applications will hopefully be ready in 1-2 weeks"

Ahh! This is so nerve racking! I'll let you know if/when I hear anything else - good luck!! :)