Teachers College: Columbia University, Fall 2021

Peacehappiness22

10 hours ago, caxiatec said:

Congratulations! When did you turn in your application for this? Mine is not out yet. I know we have been trailing each other.

Thanks! My application was submitted and complete by Dec. 13, so quite a while ago. I might've heard back earlier because of that and also because mine was for the MA? Hope you hear back soon!

6 hours ago, keep_waiting_the_result said:

Hi everyone!

I got into M. A. in Communication and Education program, but didn't get any funding offer yet. I hope I receive one soon tho. 

Does scholarship offer come right after the admission letter? Really hoping that's not the case. 

I just got an email to check the portal for admission decision, and that was it. 

I got the email about financial aid about 3 hours after I got the admission letter.

1 minute ago, Beezkneez08 said:

Thanks! My application was submitted and complete by Dec. 13, so quite a while ago. I might've heard back earlier because of that and also because mine was for the MA? Hope you hear back soon!

You are right.... you remembered I applied for the MEd. Keeping fingers crossed, while hoping for the best.

11 hours ago, HTG7728 said:

Congrats!!i still havent received an email hahah, applied IED with concentration in int'l policy 

Good luck! I applied waaaaay before the deadline (Jan 4 I think) and so did another friend of mine who got notified a day before-- they're likely just sending it out in waves ?

7 hours ago, chai time said:

Good luck! I applied waaaaay before the deadline (Jan 4 I think) and so did another friend of mine who got notified a day before-- they're likely just sending it out in waves ?

thanks! i applied end of december~ but its ok, ill keep waiting haha 

On 3/9/2021 at 5:12 PM, sasalala said:

I posted here yesterday, but I just got in for an MA in International Education Development!! So excited!!

I also received a TC scholarship! I am wondering, is this something everyone (who applies for it on their application) receives? 

Congrats!! Hi guys! I just made an account to join in on the discussion. I received my acceptance for the International Ed Development M.A on Monday. Would you guys be interested in a group chat / further discussion as we unpack and figure out where to invest our time and money for the next few years? International Education seems to be a pretty niche program and I'd love to hear about what drove you to this field and your interests and just chat. Not sure if I am committing to Teachers College, it's so pricey ? 

On 3/11/2021 at 4:01 AM, keep_waiting_the_result said:

Hi everyone!

I got into M. A. in Communication and Education program, but didn't get any funding offer yet. I hope I receive one soon tho. 

Does scholarship offer come right after the admission letter? Really hoping that's not the case. 

I just got an email to check the portal for admission decision, and that was it. 

After you click through the application portal, view your acceptance letter, and head back to the main portal, there should pop up a graphic bearing "Admitted Students Portal" or something like that. Click that, and it takes you to another screen with housekeeping information, a welcome letter, and your financial aid award. At least, that's how it worked for me. I checked my financial aid way before they sent me the letter informing me it was ready. Must be a delay in the system. 

37 minutes ago, roshni said:

Congrats!! Hi guys! I just made an account to join in on the discussion. I received my acceptance for the International Ed Development M.A on Monday. Would you guys be interested in a group chat / further discussion as we unpack and figure out where to invest our time and money for the next few years? International Education seems to be a pretty niche program and I'd love to hear about what drove you to this field and your interests and just chat. Not sure if I am committing to Teachers College, it's so pricey ? 

I would love to! I'm definitely struggling to make a decision

55 minutes ago, roshni said:

That's a great idea!! I'm definitely in. 

2 hours ago, chai time said:

I would love to! I'm definitely struggling to make a decision

1 hour ago, sasalala said:

That's a great idea!! I'm definitely in. 

Awesome, do you guys wanna email me at (shahbazhira1@gmail.com) and we can share numbers / WhatsApp info from there? I can create a nice little group chat or we can stick with emails, up to you guys.

On 3/11/2021 at 10:08 AM, Beezkneez08 said:

I got the email about financial aid about 3 hours after I got the admission letter.

I'm in the Cog Sci in Education program and they said financial aid details are coming out this week (for my program at least). Hope it helps!

I attended a virtual admission session today and many applicants asked about students who applied before or at the 15th of January (which is the priority deadline for many programs), the host said that we should hear back during the next couple of weeks, and if by April 1st a student hasn't heard yet, they should email the admission team. I hope this helps.

Note: I emailed my program's admission liaison and confirmed what the host said.

57 minutes ago, PsychologicalDisk582 said:

Has anyone who applied to the Sociology and Education MA program still not heard back? I'm getting a little impatient...

I attended a virtual admission session today and many applicants asked about students who applied before or at the 15th of January (which is the priority deadline for many programs), the host said that we should hear back during the next couple of weeks, and if by April 1st a student hasn't heard yet, they should email the admission team. I hope this helps.

Note: I emailed my program's admission liaison and confirmed what the host said.

2 hours ago, UnderConstruction said:

Got it! Thank you for the info. It sucks that they can't get back to us sooner given the deadline for most deposits is April 15th. Oh well!

I reached out to admissions earlier this week asking about Ed Policy MA decisions timeline, mentioning that in light of the April 15th deadline for deposits elsewhere I was wondering if they had a date we would hear by, and they *politely* said that it was possible to ask for deadline extensions from other schools and that TC often grants them. So that does not make me hopeful that those of us still waiting will hear back this week. 

1 hour ago, BrooklynMPP said:

I reached out to admissions earlier this week asking about Ed Policy MA decisions timeline, mentioning that in light of the April 15th deadline for deposits elsewhere I was wondering if they had a date we would hear by, and they *politely* said that it was possible to ask for deadline extensions from other schools and that TC often grants them. So that does not make me hopeful that those of us still waiting will hear back this week. 

I wanna be understanding of how this year made it difficult to stick to a schedule similar to years' past, but if other schools were able to, I think TC should be able to as well. it's just disappointing when I heard multiple times I'll hear back by mid-March and now it's March 18th and I still have nothing. This level of professionalism can't be good for yield

15 hours ago, PsychologicalDisk582 said:

Got rejected today by TC and they didn't even email me to check my application status — I just happened to check it and it was there. Honestly I'm fine with not getting in because this lack of communication is a big red flag for me

I am sorry and I hope there's a better chance waiting for you. I am wondering if this is the norm? This is my very first time to apply to TC and I haven't seen one single post or result about (Teaching of English - Non Certification), I don't know if there isn't enough applicants or actually too many, has this happened last year? I feel something isn't right, today is the 23rd of March and we should have heard on mid of March.......

Not trying to be a downer, but something to consider if anyone is thinking about Columbia:

Among your choices, you should also consider which programs have a grad worker union AND treat grad students right. I am a current 2nd year PhD student at Columbia. The majority of grad students are currently on strike for a living wage, better healthcare, and protection from harassment and discrimination. I have been watching the process of our new graduate union try to bargain for our first contract for over two years. In these sessions, I have seen admin (and their sleazy lawyer, who charges $1,500/hr) do everything possible to stall negotiations, belittle us, and play down heartfelt testimonials that make clear why our demands are reasonable and necessary. Every time we've gotten a raise in the past, our Columbia rent magically goes up by a higher percentage. Our wages are not enough to live in NYC. There is no dental or vision coverage, and they recently removed the better health insurance plan option. The school has a terrible history with harassment and discrimination cases brought by both undergrads and grads (Google it), and at the moment they are doing everything possible to avoid meeting our contract demand about changing the investigation process to give more rights to the complainant (see link below). I don't know if anyone applied for early childhood education, but I think that those grad students staff the campus daycare? It's run out of TC. You should know they charge $30,000/year for one child--the equivalent of our grad stipends, thus making it wildly unaffordable for us. 

We're entering the 3rd week of the strike, and Columbia has made very clear that they plan to not only doc our bi-weekly pay (which we receive for TA/RA work), but our academic stipends--yep, they are going to debit our student accounts, thereby jeopardizing course registration, degree progress, visas, and health insurance. We have a legal right to strike, but this later action constitutes illegal academic retaliation.

Long story short: I'm sure a lot of schools are as corrupt as Columbia, but I've just seen first hand how rotten this place is to the core. They only care about profit (their endowment grew $300 million during the pandemic alone), squeezing as much our of grad workers and adjuncts for as little pay as possible, sweeping bad press under the rug, and gentrifying Harlem with multi-million dollar campus expansions.

I encourage folks thinking about attending/applying to Columbia to express concerns to department chairs and administrators, and ask them why they insist on denying grad workers a fair contract: 

https://gothamist.com/news/columbia-grad-students-strike-over-wages-and-harassment-policies-nyu-counterparts-vote-similar-actions