Teachers College: Columbia University, Fall 2021

Peacehappiness22

1 hour ago, Peacehappiness22 said:

Nice to talk to you both :) I know the GRE is optional for some programs, but do you all think it's wise to still take it? / Have any idea regarding what undergrad gpa they're looking for? 

I did take it, mostly because my gpa was pretty underwhelming due to some personal issues. I think if its financially reasonable and could help your application, do it, but its definitely not critical this year. GPA-wise, I'm really not sure, I think they have a pretty holistic review process. 

22 hours ago, Peacehappiness22 said:

Nice to talk to you both :) I know the GRE is optional for some programs, but do you all think it's wise to still take it? / Have any idea regarding what undergrad gpa they're looking for? 

Just finished my GRE!!!! GRE is required for some of the programs at TC, including applied stat, the one I want to apply to. So I have to take it. 

If you have the time and energy, why don't you give it a shot? If you get a nice GRE score, I'm sure it would make your profile look stronger. 

Not sure about undergrad GPA either. Ask the admissions office maybe?

Edited by Taro_Taro

I did speak with someone in admissions and the holistic admissions sentiment was echoed! I'm sure this is the case, but I also suspect there are certain qualifications they're looking for at a school like Columbia and I was hoping to see how my stats measure up. I only have a 3.0 gpa.

Hope both of you did well on the GRE!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I applied to the Ed.M. in Philosophy and Education for Spring 2021 entry. I am currently in an Ed.D. program and it isn't a great fit for my research so I decided to do a second Master's and after talking to the chair I was told to apply for the Ed.M. instead of the M.A. the director look forward to hearing if I get in soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2020 at 9:43 AM, Peacehappiness22 said:

I did speak with someone in admissions and the holistic admissions sentiment was echoed! I'm sure this is the case, but I also suspect there are certain qualifications they're looking for at a school like Columbia and I was hoping to see how my stats measure up. I only have a 3.0 gpa.

Hope both of you did well on the GRE!

@Peacehappiness22Did you end up taking the GRE? I am about to take it this weekend. My practice scores have all been average relative to the averages of schools that publish their class profile info (for example, HGSE has this up on their website). I have an unimpressive GPA so I'm trying to figure out if an "average" GRE score will supplement my application or reinforce the GPA... any thoughts?

16 hours ago, Beezkneez08 said:

@Peacehappiness22Did you end up taking the GRE? I am about to take it this weekend. My practice scores have all been average relative to the averages of schools that publish their class profile info (for example, HGSE has this up on their website). I have an unimpressive GPA so I'm trying to figure out if an "average" GRE score will supplement my application or reinforce the GPA... any thoughts?

I did, because I'm now applying to the Ed.M Mental Health Counseling program and from knowing that the Ed.M is a more advanced masters degree and I felt I really needed to take it. I didn't do phenomenal, but I did get the score that I expected to get and it's good enough.

I think it depends on how "umimpressive" your gpa is, the program you're applying to, and your other stats. My gpa is definitely unimpressive, but my GRE score is good. I also have a lot of relevant work experience in the psychology field. Without the work experience, I'd be more concerned, but I feel pretty good right now. I also didn't want to chance it with how competitive this application cycle could be with more people opting to go to grad school in light of the economy.

Edited by Peacehappiness22

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I'm applying to the MA in Comparative and International Education. I'm a candidate from a second- or third-tier state school but I have a relatively high GPA and some good independent research experience. I do feel like TC is a massive reach for me but I'm hoping to pull it off.

I'm not submitting GRE for financial reasons, and because it's just too difficult to take right now.  Also, CIE doesn't require it-- I have a lot of international experience through internships/working, personal travel, and study so I'm hoping that that, my statement of purpose, recs will get me in. Also, CIE is a pretty niche program so I don't think it will be as affected by the influx of grad candidates as more general programs may be.

Looking forward to following your journeys as well!

I also applied to CIE, Kylee! I didn't submit any GRE scores either due to financial constraints. 

I applied to a good amount of other schools too, and have been scouring the forums to find dates when we will hear back. It seems like the first few weeks in March will be the week! I'm so nervous and excited. 

Edited by CaitlynM

15 hours ago, CaitlynM said:

I also applied to CIE, Kylee! I didn't submit any GRE scores either due to financial constraints. 

I applied to a good amount of other schools too, and have been scouring the forums to find dates when we will hear back. It seems like the first few weeks in March will be the week! I'm so nervous and excited. 

Yay, so great to find someone else interested in the program! Are you attending the Current Students panel tonight?

42 minutes ago, CaitlynM said:

@Kylee

I’m not sure yet! It’s my undergrad finals week and I’m about to graduate so I haven’t RSVP’d, although I’ve received several emails about it! Are you?? 

Yes, I am! If you'd like I can send you notes if you're not able to attend. 

On 12/1/2020 at 12:23 PM, PopCultureScholar said:

I got in! Now I am waiting for my funding package. I guess I have to wait two weeks until it is generated. 

Congratulations to you. I was wondering if you found out about your funding? Is funding common for the Philosophy & Ed masters programs?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I applied for the MA in Higher and Postsecondary Education last week. I'm five years out of undergrad and have 3 years of higher ed-specific work experience. Already live in the city and would be completing part-time. Any other HPSE hopefuls here?

On 12/31/2020 at 4:59 AM, kudrinskaya said:

Congratulations to you. I was wondering if you found out about your funding? Is funding common for the Philosophy & Ed masters programs?

Not exactly your question but I was accepted last year for the M.A. in Politics & Ed and most other students I spoke to received some kind of funding ranging from a couple of thousand to more substantial amounts (mostly after negotiation, I think). My package (as an international student, so not eligible for diversity scholarships etc) before negotiation was $14,500, and after was just a bit over $16,000. I was told in a semi-official capacity that that was essentially the maximum that is given out for masters programs, although not sure if this was just within EPSA or across the school. Hope that's helpful. 

Edit: also remember someone on gradcafe saying they were told 16k was the max a couple of years ago too. 

Edited by defcaffeinated