Teachers College: Columbia University, Fall 2021

Peacehappiness22

20 hours ago, defcaffeinated said:

My package (as an international student, so not eligible for diversity scholarships etc) before negotiation was $14,500, and after was just a bit over $16,000.

I would love to hear about how you negotiated if you wouldn't mind elaborating!

22 hours ago, chai time said:

I would love to hear about how you negotiated if you wouldn't mind elaborating!

Sorry, my use of negotiate may have been slightly misleading. I had a higher scholarship offer from elsewhere ($25,000) and asked the admissions office if I could negotiate my funding based on this. They then sent me a scholarship match form. Obviously as I said they increased it to 16k, they didn't match it but it was a decent increase. 

On 1/26/2021 at 12:46 PM, defcaffeinated said:

Sorry, my use of negotiate may have been slightly misleading. I had a higher scholarship offer from elsewhere ($25,000) and asked the admissions office if I could negotiate my funding based on this. They then sent me a scholarship match form. Obviously as I said they increased it to 16k, they didn't match it but it was a decent increase. 

Still very helpful to know about. I have a scholarship elsewhere so if I get admitted to TC this could be helpful to me!

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Beezkneez08 said:

Does anyone know when they start releasing decisions for masters programs? I've seen a big range of dates from past forums... is it rolling acceptances?

So don't laugh, but in a fit of boredom and anxiety, last night I plotted the dates from the results page for all the programs I applied to for the last three to four years. For TC (and the ICE program), there were very few posted results, but it was generally trending earlier and earlier (which was a trend seen in all the schools). The earliest notification I saw for TC was Feb 24 (in 2020), and the latest was Mar 12 (also 2020), and it seems that most results come out the first week of March. That said, not a lot of data to work with so who knows!

Edited by chai time

36 minutes ago, chai time said:

So don't laugh, but in a fit of boredom and anxiety, last night I plotted the dates from the results page for all the programs I applied to for the last three to four years. For TC (and the ICE program), there were very few posted results, but it was generally trending earlier and earlier (which was a trend seen in all the schools). The earliest notification I saw for TC was Feb 24 (in 2020), and the latest was Mar 12 (also 2020), and it seems that most results come out the first week of March. That said, not a lot of data to work with so who knows!

No laughing at all! This is good to know, thanks!

3 hours ago, caxiatec said:

I did. We meet here again. ?

Hi!! Haha. Did you go for the M.A or the M.Ed? This is the only one I opted an M.A for as it was a shorter program/timeframe but now I'm not so sure I made the right choice...

2 hours ago, Beezkneez08 said:

Hi!! Haha. Did you go for the M.A or the M.Ed? This is the only one I opted an M.A for as it was a shorter program/timeframe but now I'm not so sure I made the right choice...

M.Ed all the way! I am intentional about my goals.

4 hours ago, caxiatec said:

M.Ed all the way! I am intentional about my goals.

I wasn't sure what the difference was besides that the M.Ed had more credits to complete (and therefore more subjects would be covered over two years). Other than that, what factors did you consider and why do you say that one is more fitting for your goals than the other?

15 minutes ago, Beezkneez08 said:

I wasn't sure what the difference was besides that the M.Ed had more credits to complete (and therefore more subjects would be covered over two years). Other than that, what factors did you consider and why do you say that one is more fitting for your goals than the other?

So from the information I have gathered (asking around, reading blogs and other research) I understand that the MEd is ideal for those who are practicing Education and hold leadership positions or are looking at handling leaderships roles. On the other hand an MA, or MSc in Education is more academic inclined; ideal for those who want to gain knowledge about education, more from a speculative and theoretical perspective.  So in my case I am looking more at Management and Policy (from the tech perspective), so I thought the M.Ed would be more ideal. In all I do not think it is as strait jacketed as I have presented it because life is rich and experience is usually different from academic theories.  So one may go for an MA or Msc in Education and still make more impact in Education Management and vice versa.  Another driving force for me is that my background is NOT education, I have a BSc. and a BA.  So I am sort of adamant about having a degree with Ed. in it somewhere since my chosen career path now is Education. Long story right? Sorry for taking you round in circles.

17 hours ago, caxiatec said:

So from the information I have gathered (asking around, reading blogs and other research) I understand that the MEd is ideal for those who are practicing Education and hold leadership positions or are looking at handling leaderships roles. On the other hand an MA, or MSc in Education is more academic inclined; ideal for those who want to gain knowledge about education, more from a speculative and theoretical perspective.  So in my case I am looking more at Management and Policy (from the tech perspective), so I thought the M.Ed would be more ideal. In all I do not think it is as strait jacketed as I have presented it because life is rich and experience is usually different from academic theories.  So one may go for an MA or Msc in Education and still make more impact in Education Management and vice versa.  Another driving force for me is that my background is NOT education, I have a BSc. and a BA.  So I am sort of adamant about having a degree with Ed. in it somewhere since my chosen career path now is Education. Long story right? Sorry for taking you round in circles.

I see, thanks for sharing! That's interesting to know. I did ask if there was an MA to MEd pathway and the admissions officer I spoke to said that it's a simplified application process and you can carry over your credits (essentially just extend your degree). That's an option I can explore should I end up in TC.

HI all, I applied to the International Educational Development Doctor of Education program at Teachers College for fall 2021. The application deadline was Jan. 15. Any insights as to when interviews might take place. The information regarding application timeline is very inconsistent and vague. Any help would be much appreciated! 

On 2/19/2021 at 6:12 PM, acurtiss said:

HI all, I applied to the International Educational Development Doctor of Education program at Teachers College for fall 2021. The application deadline was Jan. 15. Any insights as to when interviews might take place. The information regarding application timeline is very inconsistent and vague. Any help would be much appreciated! 

Hi acurtiss,

I'm not sure about this particular program, but I applied to the Teachers College Cognitive Science in Education PhD program and reached out to the admissions office. They said admissions decisions would come out between March 1-15th. No mention of interviews. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

On 2/24/2021 at 4:11 AM, kmp32002 said:

Hi all,

Just got my offer of admission for the MA in Higher and Postsecondary Education! Hopefully I'll see some of you all in the fall! 

Congratulations! When did you apply?