Teachers College: Columbia University, Fall 2021

Peacehappiness22

On 2/18/2021 at 1:46 AM, lmdixon said:

I've applied to the MA Sociology and Education program, looking forward to networking and (hopefully) an acceptance in the near future!

hey, I'm considering this program too! Good luck! 

57 minutes ago, lmdixon said:

I just received my acceptance to the Sociology and Education MA! Good luck everyone, cant wait for the Fall!

Congratulations! I didn't know they sent out acceptances this early. I don't see any others on the GradCafe results database. How were you notified of your decision?  Did you get an email telling you to check your portal? I applied to this program too and I'm kinda nervous now haha

1 minute ago, PsychologicalDisk582 said:

Congratulations! I didn't know they sent out acceptances this early. I don't see any others on the GradCafe results database. How were you notified of your decision?  Did you get an email telling you to check your portal? I applied to this program too and I'm kinda nervous now haha

Thank you!! And yes, I got an email to check my portal around 5pm est to check. I applied pretty early which probably is why I found out today! The PhDs went out last week so Im sure its in some weird order! Good Luck!!!!

Just now, lmdixon said:

Thank you!! And yes, I got an email to check my portal around 5pm est to check. I applied pretty early which probably is why I found out today! The PhDs went out last week so Im sure its in some weird order! Good Luck!!!!

Makes so much sense. When did you apply if you don't mind me asking? Fingers crossed the rest of us find out soon! Congrats, go celebrate!

Edited by PsychologicalDisk582

Hey! Nice to meet you all! I was accepted into the Cognitive Science in Education M.A. program today and am just wondering if anyone has a sense of how prestigious this program is / how prestigious the Teachers College is in general. I have a few other grad school offers and don't have a sense of how to compare this program to the others in terms of academic caliber, student experience, what doors are opened for this program's graduates, etc.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows whether it would be possible for a Cognitive Science in Education M.A. student to continue onto the Cognitive Science in Education Ph.D. program with minimal effort, granted the student has good grades, good recs, etc., or whether they would have to re-apply.

Any insight into the program would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

On 3/4/2021 at 12:29 AM, stephjyu said:

Just accepted to MA in Ed Policy. Submitted my app back in November I believe.

Congratulations!! On the portal did your application ever change from submitted to in review? or did it just jump from submitted to your acceptance?

53 minutes ago, heyhey29 said:

Congratulations!! On the portal did your application ever change from submitted to in review? or did it just jump from submitted to your acceptance?

Not OP, but accepted into the same program on Tuesday - I applied in January. My application status never changed to "in review." My status still just says submitted, until I click on the application itself to see my decision. Hope this helps!

11 hours ago, psyched4socialpsych said:

Hey! Nice to meet you all! I was accepted into the Cognitive Science in Education M.A. program today and am just wondering if anyone has a sense of how prestigious this program is / how prestigious the Teachers College is in general. I have a few other grad school offers and don't have a sense of how to compare this program to the others in terms of academic caliber, student experience, what doors are opened for this program's graduates, etc.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows whether it would be possible for a Cognitive Science in Education M.A. student to continue onto the Cognitive Science in Education Ph.D. program with minimal effort, granted the student has good grades, good recs, etc., or whether they would have to re-apply.

Any insight into the program would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Hi and congratulations! I was just accepted into the Cog Sci PHD program! I'm not sure about the answer to the question of transitioning from one to the other, but I'm excited to meet others in the same concentration! Everyone that I know that has gone to TC has had a very positive experience, and there are a lot of networking opportunities with faculty and other programs in the city. Have you heard anything about funding?

38 minutes ago, Jmartin91 said:

Hi and congratulations! I was just accepted into the Cog Sci PHD program! I'm not sure about the answer to the question of transitioning from one to the other, but I'm excited to meet others in the same concentration! Everyone that I know that has gone to TC has had a very positive experience, and there are a lot of networking opportunities with faculty and other programs in the city. Have you heard anything about funding?

Awesome! Congrats, and nice to meet you too :) I don't know anyone who has gone to TC so super glad to hear that everyone has had a positive experience.

So I got $15.5K for the first school year -- it's not clear to me if that # depends on taking 12 units per semester or whether I can take fewer (9 units or 6 units). It's also not clear that it'll be renewed year on year. Hopefully the # doesn't drop if you don't take a full load, since I'm planning on working part time and will probably only take 9 or 6 units. I'll ask fin aid and update you!

Is the Cogsci in Education Ph.D. program fully funded (tuition covered + stipend)? I know that clinical psych is (https://www.tc.columbia.edu/counseling-and-clinical-psychology/clinical/degrees--requirements/clinical-psychology-phd/funding/), but I'm curious about the Cogsci program! Did you get funding?

3 hours ago, aimeglobe said:

Not OP, but accepted into the same program on Tuesday - I applied in January. My application status never changed to "in review." My status still just says submitted, until I click on the application itself to see my decision. Hope this helps!

Congrats!! Thanks! Still just sitting here staring at my email and refreshing my application all day... 

Hi everyone!

Just got my acceptance to the MA TESOL K-12 Initial Cert program on Wed afternoon. Was lurking around these forums for a while, but finally jumping in. The status on my app also didn't change from "Submitted," just got an email to check application portal where there was a button to check a status update. I applied by Jan 15th priority deadline.

Looking forward to meeting y'all!

20 hours ago, psyched4socialpsych said:

Awesome! Congrats, and nice to meet you too :) I don't know anyone who has gone to TC so super glad to hear that everyone has had a positive experience.

So I got $15.5K for the first school year -- it's not clear to me if that # depends on taking 12 units per semester or whether I can take fewer (9 units or 6 units). It's also not clear that it'll be renewed year on year. Hopefully the # doesn't drop if you don't take a full load, since I'm planning on working part time and will probably only take 9 or 6 units. I'll ask fin aid and update you!

Is the Cogsci in Education Ph.D. program fully funded (tuition covered + stipend)? I know that clinical psych is (https://www.tc.columbia.edu/counseling-and-clinical-psychology/clinical/degrees--requirements/clinical-psychology-phd/funding/), but I'm curious about the Cogsci program! Did you get funding?

Nice! My funding package is pending, but I will get back to you once I know more! I've heard Columbia gives a lower package than others, so I'm a little anxious about it. Scheduled a chat with the financial aid office for next week so I can figure out what to expect.

On 3/6/2021 at 12:23 AM, heyhey29 said:

Hi, thank you so much. I don't recall my application ever changing status until their decision was made. That being said I hadn't been checking it much lately.

On 3/1/2021 at 10:36 PM, sociologyapplicant said:

@lmdixonCongrats! I'm an alum of that program (graduated last year and am in a PhD elsewhere now) and loved every second of it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Congratulations! @Imdixon I was accepted to the Sociology and Education MA as well. I'm so excited! Would love to connect. 

On 3/6/2021 at 7:17 AM, Jmartin91 said:

Nice! My funding package is pending, but I will get back to you once I know more! I've heard Columbia gives a lower package than others, so I'm a little anxious about it. Scheduled a chat with the financial aid office for next week so I can figure out what to expect.

To clarify, the $15.5k isn't tuition covered + $15.5k stipend on top of it, but rather I would still have to pay tuition and the $15.5k is more like financial aid/scholarship to help cover that tuition cost.

Let me know how the chat goes! Would love to know how much room there is for negotiation and what not :)

Do you know if TC usually covers tuition + gives some sort of stipend on top of that for Ph.D. students? Or are Ph.D. students at TC self-funding?

Hi, everyone! I applied to the English Education for initial certification program at Teacher's College and have not heard back yet ?.  I submitted my application back in November for the Jan 15th priority deadline. Anyone apply for the same program? Or is anyone still waiting to hear back?

Hi everyone! I have been reading this thread for a while, but just wanted to hop on because I received a decision today. I applied for the MA in Developmental Psychology and got an email at 5:08pm EST that I was accepted. Happy to answer any questions if I can! ❤️