PENN STATE'S PH.D. IN ENGLISH APPLICATION PORTAL ASKING FOR PERSONAL STATEMENT INSTEAD OF SOP?

If anyone here has applied to Penn State for their Ph.D. in English program and you know about this, please clarify for me. I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

So on the English department's website, it says that a SOP (1-3 double-spaced pages) is required.

However, when I went to start the application, the portal says that part of the documentation required is a personal statement with the following prompt: "Why do you want to pursue a higher degree in English studies at a time when the Liberal Arts are often less valued than science and technology?"

This doesn't sound like a SOP prompt either way, so I'm just confused. Do they want this in addition to the SOP?

Also, it says that a CV is required when the website does not ask for one. 

I have already written my SOP, so it would really suck if I had to rewrite it based on this prompt or add a personal statement when it didn't even ask for one in the first place.

Update: So I emailed the office assistant, and they said that the prompt was changed a bit and that I should include it in addition to what I already have. I also emailed the program director just in case. I think I'm just going to adapt what I wrote for my personal statement on diversity to this.

• 2 weeks later...