Planning Admission 2021

Stalked this forum for the last month. Just heard from USC! Thought I might as well post. No word on funding or from any of the other schools. This is moderate success considering I have no planning background and majored in fine arts. Everything is contingent on funding. I'm not trying to go into debt to work in the public sector! 

Age/Gender/Citizenship

27/M/US

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated 

BA Art/Top LAC/2016

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

3.46 GPA/No GRE (hehe) 

Work Experience:

Currently working in advertising, but also worked in non-profit art orgs, tech startups (evil), and a bunch of other places.

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

Non-profit arts org supervisor

Creative director at ad agency

Art professor from undergrad 

Schools applied to: UCLA, USC, UCI, Cal Poly Pomona (really trying to stay in LA) 

In: USC

Out:

Wait-list:

Awaiting: UCLA, UCI, Cal Poly Pomona 

Results:

Edited by JacketTrain

10 hours ago, McFrench said:

In at UCLA! Found out via email, no word on funding in the letter. Did anyone else get any funding news from them? 

When I wrote back they said we did not get any if it’s not mentioned in the email already , so I lost hopes on it

...in at USC finally to finish off the cycle! I wish I had got funding from USC/UCLA. 

is there any chance that the schools will give a fresh funding(not increasing $$) based on what we got at other places? 

14 hours ago, drew.m.b said:

For those waitlisted at UCLA: Does anyone have an idea as to what the chances are of being accepted from the waitlist? Or when we might know? I have offers from other schools, but UCLA has been my top choice for a while. I am especially worried, as I assume most waitlist decisions come out after April 15th, which is my deadline to notify most other schools and I wouldn't want to send in a deposit elsewhere only to find out I could be accepted into UCLA later. Any thoughts? 

@drew.m.b I’m in the same boat. I will sign my SIR with another school in the meantime. If I get into UCLA and decide to go there, I’ll just let my other school know and lose the non-refundable deposit that comes with a SIR.

I strongly recommend that you do so too - it would be a mistake to not sign any SIR if you still want to go to grad school this cycle, because personally, I don’t see many accepted people turning UCLA down. There were also over 500 applications this cycle, much more than the 270 or so from last year.

Edited by yellowsurf

23 hours ago, dvdvcd said:

Hey all! I've been following this thread for a while as I waited anxiously to hear back. I thought I'd share my stats and results to join in on the discussion as we near April 15th.

Age/Gender/Citizenship

25/F/India

Bachelor of Architecture / Top university in the Middle East / 2018

3.08  - GRE 146(V) 148(Q) 3.5(AW), TOEFL-110, IELTS-8.5

My GRE isn't the best but I knew most schools wouldn't ask for it this year.

Work Experience:

2+ years in an Architecture firm; several internships for low-cost fabrication and built projects; volunteer experience in Zanzibar to help build amenities for school children (main motivation to pursue planning and development)

I plan to focus on International Development and Planning

Combination of Studio Professors from Architecture school; Current boss

Schools applied to: NYU, Rutgers, UNC, UCLA, USC, Berkeley, Harvard GSD, UIUC, UMich

In: NYU, Rutgers, UIUC, USC

Out: Berkeley, Harvard GSD, UMich

Wait-list: UNC, UCLA

Awaiting: n/a

Results:

NYU Denied funding which makes it very difficult for me to afford.

Rutgers gave me 50% scholarship as well the opportunity for GA/TA positions.

UIUC no news of funding yet.

My top choice is UCLA but unfortunately I am not in yet.

USC mentioned no funding, so I'm yet to figure out what this means for me.

In at USC! I wasn't expecting it but I'm happy to end this admission cycle on a positive note. Now moving on to deciding where to go.
Congrats to others who have gotten their acceptances!

On 11/19/2020 at 10:29 AM, jbourne1 said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

27/M/US

BA in Int'l Relations / run of the mill Cal State school / 2015
MA in Public Policy / Central European University / 2017
GIS Certificate / Community College / est. 2021

3.4 BA/3.8 MA - No GRE, part of the reason I applied this year

Work Experience:

3+ years in immigration; 1 recent community development internship (really leaning on strength of references, GIS cert, and SOPs since I don't have the typical background)

Combination of MA Thesis Advisor, Boss at Immigration Firm, GIS professor, Boss at Internship

Schools applied to: SJSU, Cal Poly Pomona, UC Berkeley, UCLA,

In: SJSU, Cal Poly Pomona

Out: UC Berkele

Wait-list: UCLA

Awaiting:

Results:

In at CPP but don't really think I see myself there not having any connections in SoCal and not wanting to live anywhere but LA (within Socal). It seems like a nice program at least in talking to the Grad Advisor and one of the Professor's who was also a practitioner, and it's very affordable but it just seems too far from anything but a small section of LA and maybe Pasadena and I don't want to live any further east. Having relied 100% on public transportation for the last 5+ years, I don't know if I'd want a 1hr+ car commute from LA/Pasadena to Pomona.

Anybody else considering CPP and if so, why? Cheers!

Edited by jbourne1

59 minutes ago, futureplanner said:

For those with multiple options, how are you narrowing down your decision? (besides $$, since most schools seem to have limited funds this cycle so I'm hoping to land a TA or GSR gig to help pay for tuition/living)

I’ve been talking to current students or recent alumni about their experiences. From them I’ve learned about ongoing research, support programs and funds, student organizations, study abroad and networking opportunities, etc. Also, I’ve been comparing their curriculums and course offerings and leaning towards programs that offer classes I’m interested in and that emphasize technical skills. It would also be helpful to look at what the program’s capstone project is — do you want to do a thesis? A group project? Other things to consider — do you want a small or a large cohort? Where would you rather intern/work at for two years? 

Edited by yellowsurf

1 hour ago, futureplanner said:

For those with multiple options, how are you narrowing down your decision? (besides $$, since most schools seem to have limited funds this cycle so I'm hoping to land a TA or GSR gig to help pay for tuition/living)

I only applied to two programs. I don't have the funds to go out of province or even out of city (I have to live with my family, can't afford rent) so my options were limited to an accredited program and a non-accredited program. If I get into both, it'll hands down be the accredited one to fast-track my career in planning, but my chances are very slim so it looks like it will be the non-accredited one or none at all. I asked about the value of an accredited program in Canada vs a non-accredited program on reddit in the urban planning sub and the responses were overwhelmingly in favor of accredited. That's my main need. 

I'm trying to feel less garbage about possible rejection because I really could use a year of full time work and saving some $$ to apply to out-of-province accredited programs for 2022. If I take urban studies, I might struggle for a long time in finding relevant work and becoming certified - could take years.

On 12/03/2021 at 09:58, mupp said:

Este tópico foi extremamente útil durante o processo de espera. Então, espero que alguém ache isso útil!

Idade / Gênero / Cidadania

26 / F / Intl

Graduação  / Escola / Ano de graduação 

BA Ciência Política e Estudos Urbanos, 2019

GPA  -  GRE   -  TOEFL  (para alunos internacionais) 

3,54 - dispensado - 107

Experiência de trabalho:

1,5 anos em INGO como estagiário e assistente de programa (serviço estacionado em países em desenvolvimento)

5 meses como pesquisador em instituições públicas 

Carta de recomendações:  (de quem)

Dois professores de graduação e um do atual supervisor 

Escolas inscritas em:  Cornell, UNC, UCLA, USC, Rutgers, Penn

In: Cornell (Estágio), UNC, UCLA, Rutgers (dispensa de meia mensalidade)

Fora: Penn

Lista de espera : 

Aguardando:   USC

Resultados:

Meu interesse é na intersecção de planejamento ambiental e análise espacial. Esp em risco de desastres e mudanças climáticas. Até agora, entre as escolas em que fui admitido, sinto-me atraído pela UCLA. (claro, eu tenho que negociar a isenção de mensalidades com outras escolas antes de recusar Rutgers) É porque, para outras escolas, a concentração é chamada de planejamento ambiental (ou uso da terra e planejamento ambiental), enquanto a UCLA chama de análise e política ambiental . Seja qual for a minha escolha, quero sair do programa com gis sólidos e outras habilidades analíticas. Cornell parece ter cursos de estatística, o que é uma vantagem para mim, mas menos ênfase em gis. Por favor, corrija-me se eu estiver enganado, estou apenas falando de impressão genérica após folhear o site oficial. Se alguém estiver tendo pensamentos semelhantes ou tiver ideias sobre esses programas, compartilhe-os! Seria muito útil para me decidir!

How interesting. I'm from Brazil and applied at UPenn and Cornell, my interest is Land Use and Environmental Planning. I was admitted to UPenn early, but nothing financial sido for me. I'm still waiting for Cornell, but it's taking so long that I don't even know if I have a chance. ?

It is not easy to be an Environmental Engineer in Brazil in the last 3 years, my currency is overvalued and a job that paid well would only earn me 5 thousand reais per month (Less than a thousand dollars).

Taking a master's degree in the USA was the only way I saw how to leverage my curriculum. Unfortunately UPenn did not give me financial assistance, and $ 82,000 is an unimaginable amount to pay each year.

Waiting for the result of the other Universities

Age/Gender/Citizenship

34/F/BR

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated 

B Environmental Engineering/UFRPE/2009

GPA - GRE - TOEFL 

3 GPA/No GRE/Amazingly, I had my test canceled about 6 times. Finally going to do on 4/21

Work Experience:

Conducted undergraduate research in the area of watershed management

I did a post-baccalaureate in the area of sanitation

I worked 10 years in Environmental Protection Agency

I have a Sustainable Fashion project in my city, where I implemented the first thrift store

I consult and carry out projects in the area of environmental licensing

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

My two undergraduate advisors. One from the Geoprocessing area and the other from the Hydrology area.

My former boss at the Environment Secretariat

Schools applied to: UPenn (MCP) Cornell (MRP) UMich ( M. Enviroment and Sustainability) Duke (M Environmental Management)

In: UPenn (My application material was screaming for financial help, but UPenn offered me none.)

Out:

Wait-list:

Awaiting: Cornell, Duke, UMich

Results:

On 3/11/2021 at 1:25 PM, hayamate said:

Updating now that I received all financial aid offers. Disappointed on Penn's offer given that it was my #1 choice.

Decision now is between Tufts and Hunter: Tufts covers close to 100% tuition but will require a move. Hunter offers no funding, but in-state tuition is cheap and I already live in NYC.

Hey @heyamate, interested to hear your interest at Tufts! Are you planning to study transportation planning? 

Just jumping on this train today, and thought I'd share my stats. My SOP focused on the intersection of mobility, equity, and public engagement. Gaining technical skills (R, ArcGIS, etc.) is also very important to me in grad school. 

Age/Gender/Citizenship

25/F/US

BA English / NC university / 2017

3.5 - waived - N/A

Work Experience:

2.5 years of community engagement / program management in nonprofits, 1 year in TDM

1 from undergrad academic advisor/professor, 1 from past supervisor/mentor, 1 from current boss in transportation sector

Schools applied to: UI Chicago, Rutgers, Tufts, University of Buffalo, and Virginia Tech

In: Rutgers (awaiting funding info), UI Chicago ($5K), UB ($3K), Tufts ($16K)

Out: 

Wait-list

Awaiting: Virginia Tech

Edited by willlo

Dang am I one of the only ones who hasn't heard from UCLA. I'll assume that means a reject then. Guess I'm heading to USC if I want to stay in CA. 

Also late update but: $20k from UPenn! Still way beyond my means but very grateful. I suppose it can't hurt to try to appeal for more but I feel like that's probably as high as they'd go (for me). 

1 hour ago, willlo said:

Hey @heyamate, interested to hear your interest at Tufts! Are you planning to study transportation planning? 

I am! A former colleague graduated from the program and recommended it. Still haven't determine which program to go.

Are you planning to attend Tufts?

4 minutes ago, McFrench said:

Is anyone planning to visit schools prior to the April 15th decision date? I know it is difficult to travel with covid but I don't think I can make the decision without visiting the cities/campuses I would be moving to

I'm planning to visit Atlanta for Ga Tech. I would like to visit Ithaca for Cornell but It's super expensive/difficult to get there so I don't think I'll make it. 

35 minutes ago, McFrench said:

Is anyone planning to visit schools prior to the April 15th decision date? I know it is difficult to travel with covid but I don't think I can make the decision without visiting the cities/campuses I would be moving to

Well this weekend I'm taking a trip to Austin, partially to see UT again but mostly just for a change of scenery lol. I was also enormously lucky because I got to visit Northeast programs I had in mind, right before the virus hit last year. ?

Edit: "Caffeinated," huh. I officially have no life.

Edited by cityplace_uptown

On 3/14/2021 at 10:14 AM, futureplanner said:

I have been wondering this as well. At the moment I'm trying to decide between Portland State and the University of Sheffield, the former of which is in-state. But the total cost of PSU is only slightly cheaper than Sheffield, and I am very interested in studying abroad.

UBC is my first choice. Haven't heard anything since the interview.

Edited by lovesgrayweather
Clarification!

52 minutes ago, McFrench said:

I'm with you. I'm definitely going to visit when I narrow down to two or three schools.

TBH, when I was an undergrad, I don't think visiting campuses made any meaningful impact on my decision, but certainly the city itself will define my lifestyle in a big way, and there's also the added aspect of being an urban planning student (i.e. the city probably defines what issues you might look at, what kind of environment you look at, etc.) I can't imagine making a decision (barring a really strong financial offer) without visiting. 

1 hour ago, McFrench said:

I really wish I could visit, particularly UCLA, but just don't see how it's feasible with COVID since it would require a cross-country flight. My top 2 picks are UIC and UCLA, and while I've spent a fair amount of time in Chicago, I've spent a grand total of 24 hours in LA. If any of the CA people on this thread have opinions/insights into LA, I'm all ears!!

Edited by anxiousplanner

Hi! Just discovered this forum and it’s amazing to connect with so many future planners that’ll be entering grad school soon. I was recently accepted into UCLA’s MURP program (no info on funding yet) and it’s a dream program for me in many ways. However, I’d be an out-of-state student (OOS) if I were to join and would have to deal with the higher OOS tuition. Could be wrong but seems like UCLA Luskin has a decent amount of $ to support its students. However, I know the program is large and maybe that might translate into less aid for students? Cost of education is definitely a big factor for me in deciding on a school. Any other OOSers concerned about the cost of attending UCLA? Do you know if the program provides good financial support for OOS students? Did you receive any funding yet? Thanks guys!