Planning Admission 2021

32 minutes ago, imfeelingteal said:

In this same exact boat. I got the 75% merit as well. From what I can find online, they say each unit is $1,938 and if you take 12 units each semester then that totals $23,256/semester? With 75% off then that leaves $5,814/semester for tuition if my math is right. It would be easier if they just calculated everything for you so we'd know exactly what we're coming out of pocket ? 

Glad I'm not alone :( Hmm that's what I was thinking too. I also saw the $1,938/unit on Price's website. USC's Schedule of Classes (https://classes.usc.edu/term-20211/tuition-and-fees/) says it's $1,995/unit though, which is a little off from the amount on Price's website. But I think we can assume (?) that it'd be around $24,000 for tuition. I'm not sure if there are other fees that would exponentially increase the amount that we'd be paying. I wish they were transparent about this...

If you don't mind me asking, who did you try contacting and did you have any luck getting a response at all? No luck on my end. 

Also, congrats on your acceptance!! That's amazing :)

On 3/9/2021 at 12:26 AM, 24IQ said:

Hey yall, just found this thread on r/urbanplanning. Glad to know we're all stressing through this month together haha.

Age/Gender/Citizenship

22/M/CA

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated 

BA in Urban Studies and Human Geography/UofT/2021

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

4.00 (final year), 3.45 (cGPA)

Work Experience:

Administrative Assistant, Toronto City Councillor

Administrative Assistant (Transportation Portfolio), Toronto City Councillor

Student Consultant, School of Cities

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

Undergraduate Professor (2), Work Supervisor

Schools applied to: UofT (MScPl), Ryerson (MUD), UBC (MCRP)

In: Ryerson, received $5,000 graduate fellowship; notified 2/5

Out:

Wait-list: 

Awaiting:  UBC, UofT

Results: Video interview with UBC; notified 3/1

On 3/9/2021 at 12:26 AM, 24IQ said:

Hey yall, just found this thread on r/urbanplanning. Glad to know we're all stressing through this month together haha.

Age/Gender/Citizenship

22/M/CA

BA in Urban Studies and Human Geography/UofT/2021

4.00 (final year), 3.45 (cGPA)

Work Experience:

Administrative Assistant, Toronto City Councillor

Administrative Assistant (Transportation Portfolio), Toronto City Councillor

Student Consultant, School of Cities

Undergraduate Professor (2), Work Supervisor

Schools applied to: UofT (MScPl), Ryerson (MUD), UBC (MCRP)

In: Ryerson, received $5,000 graduate fellowship; notified 2/5

Out:

Wait-list: 

Awaiting:  UBC, UofT

Results: Video interview with UBC; notified 3/1

Hey, I'm assuming you have had to respond to ryerson by now, what did you say? Have you hear back from UBC? Which is your top choice? I've also applied to waterloo and queens planning programs aside from ubc.

5 minutes ago, MURPApplicant said:

Glad I'm not alone :( Hmm that's what I was thinking too. I also saw the $1,938/unit on Price's website. USC's Schedule of Classes (https://classes.usc.edu/term-20211/tuition-and-fees/) says it's $1,995/unit though, which is a little off from the amount on Price's website. But I think we can assume (?) that it'd be around $24,000 for tuition. I'm not sure if there are other fees that would exponentially increase the amount that we'd be paying. I wish they were transparent about this...

If you don't mind me asking, who did you try contacting and did you have any luck getting a response at all? No luck on my end. 

Also, congrats on your acceptance!! That's amazing :)

Thank you! Congrats on your acceptance as well!!

I'm thinking that the $1,995 is for the average for the department as a whole, not specifically MUP? But I agree that it's basically $24K a semester. I have been in contact with the financial aid office via phone and they say that we won't get our financial aid packet/summary until May at the earliest- which is after the decision deadline. So that includes stuff about loans and i'm guessing how much we have to pay as well.

This is another link I've been looking at if you want to see the "all in" costs (https://financialaid.usc.edu/graduates/admitted/how-much-wil-my-education-cost.html). I just replaced the tuition with the 24K since Price gave us a number to work with. 

4 minutes ago, imfeelingteal said:

Thank you! Congrats on your acceptance as well!!

I'm thinking that the $1,995 is for the average for the department as a whole, not specifically MUP? But I agree that it's basically $24K a semester. I have been in contact with the financial aid office via phone and they say that we won't get our financial aid packet/summary until May at the earliest- which is after the decision deadline. So that includes stuff about loans and i'm guessing how much we have to pay as well.

This is another link I've been looking at if you want to see the "all in" costs (https://financialaid.usc.edu/graduates/admitted/how-much-wil-my-education-cost.html). I just replaced the tuition with the 24K since Price gave us a number to work with. 

Thank you!! That helps a lot. :) I guess I'll have to give the financial aid office a call. Gotta make sure I'm not signing up for something I can't afford haha.

On 2/23/2021 at 5:10 PM, oliviaplanning said:

Just wondering if anyone has applied to any Canadian universities? I've applied to Queens, UBC, and VIU. Have not heard back from any yet!

Nice to see someone else has applied to Queens, still waiting. The general applications consensus here seems to be everyone applied to ryerson, uoft, and ubc. 

4 minutes ago, MURPApplicant said:

Thank you!! That helps a lot. :) I guess I'll have to give the financial aid office a call. Gotta make sure I'm not signing up for something I can't afford haha.

I definitely understand that. From the times I've called the finaid office, they've been pretty helpful & nice. Plus, there's not usually any wait time either. Nice to know someone else in the same boat. Best of luck! Maybe we'll end up there together haha, gonna continue comparing offers and go to the admitted student events next week too. PM me if ever you want to chat!

2 hours ago, willplanning said:

I have accepted Ryerson, but that may change, as I'm still waiting to hear back from UofT (I assume I'm waitlisted) and UBC/SCARP. Only 3 I applied to. 

Ooh, you can back out after accepting an offer? Depending on how long it takes SCARP to get back to us, I may have to accept SFU but would want to retract if I do get lucky with SCARP 

14 minutes ago, prospectiveplanner said:

Ooh, you can back out after accepting an offer? Depending on how long it takes SCARP to get back to us, I may have to accept SFU but would want to retract if I do get lucky with SCARP 

It's not great, but you definitely can. I know Ontario law prevents asking for deposits before June. For SFU, I don't know: if I get into SCARP I'm taking it no matter what...

Money means different things for different people, so even if they do require a 500$ deposit, that may be worth it for you to keep your spot at SFU.

It's worth looking into the deposit info there, because that's really all that's stopping you. Yes, it's kind of shitty, but it's also quite common. I've talked to different people who've done it, and a professor counselled me to take the offer and withdraw later. 

Just now, willplanning said:

It's not great, but you definitely can. I know Ontario law prevents asking for deposits before June. For SFU, I don't know: if I get into SCARP I'm taking it no matter what...

Money means different things for different people, so even if they do require a 500$ deposit, that may be worth it for you to keep your spot at SFU.

It's worth looking into the deposit info there, because that's really all that's stopping you. Yes, it's kind of shitty, but it's also quite common. I've talked to different people who've done it, and a professor counselled me to take the offer and withdraw later. 

Thanks. I had no idea it was allowed in some circumstances. I'll look into it, don't think I saw anything on their site but I'll contact someone if it comes to that. I hope the 21 days they give us at SFU will be enough time for SCARP as I don't have money lying around for deposits! We'll see I suppose. 

Hello. I got accepted to UofT with scholarship that covers 70% of the tuition for first year but I want to negotiate more money because of my financial situation. Do you think it’s a good idea to do that? Has anyone done that with uoft before? 

6 minutes ago, Edna627 said:

Hello. I got accepted to UofT with scholarship that covers 70% of the tuition for first year but I want to negotiate more money because of my financial situation. Do you think it’s a good idea to do that? Has anyone done that with uoft before? 

If you received a better offer (financially speaking) elsewhere, it is best to approach UofT with that information and more details about your circumstances. 

Note that I am not speaking from experience, but this was recommended to me by a professor. 

You've got nothing to lose by asking, so go for it! 

3 hours ago, willplanning said:

I have accepted Ryerson, but that may change, as I'm still waiting to hear back from UofT (I assume I'm waitlisted) and UBC/SCARP. Only 3 I applied to. 

Funny. I'm still waiting to hear back from Ryerson and thus I assume I'm unofficially waitlisted since I know they have also send rejections, and waitlist emails. I had the interview with UBC almost last week.. not fun. In at a couple other schools for different programs.

1 hour ago, prospectiveplanner said:

Yea, I agree with what will planning says. Its really common for people to accept (especially if its their second choice), and then drop it later if something better comes after.  Each school has a different pace, and with the common practice of accepting offers, then getting a better choice and accepting that one, means that you could hear back up to June/July even August on an offer if you're waitlisted officially or unofficially. 

2 hours ago, Edna627 said:

Makes me think UofT has rejected me 

On 3/1/2021 at 4:57 PM, McFrench said:

Hi,

Just joining the thread. Thought I would post what I've heard back. 

Age/Gender/Citizenship

28/F/US

BA in Growth and Structure of Cities / Liberal Arts College

3.49 BA - No GRE

Work Experience:

2 Years architecture, urban planning project management, 3+ Planning associate for a transit media street furniture company

Current manager, Chair of Undergraduate Urban Studies Department, Former Boss

Schools applied to: The New School, PRATT, UC Berkeley, UC Boulder, UT Austin, USC, UNC Chapel Hill, UCLA, Columbia, CUNY - Hunter

In: New School Design & Urban Ecologies program (35% scholarship), UCLA (no funding), Columbia (no funding), UNC (no funding), UC Boulder (No info on funding), UT Austin (funding updates by end of March), USC (25% scholarship), CUNY - Hunter

Out:

Wait-list: Berkeley - #4 on Urban Design concentration waitlist 

Awaiting: PRATT 

Does anyone have any thoughts on the major differences between the USC and UCLA programs? (Aside from cost).

And if anyone has any insight on how much urban design exposure/opportunity I would get at USC, UCLA, or UT Austin, I would greatly appreciate it! 

6 minutes ago, McFrench said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the major differences between the USC and UCLA programs? (Aside from cost).

And if anyone has any insight on how much urban design exposure/opportunity I would get at USC, UCLA, or UT Austin, I would greatly appreciate it! 

I talked to an architecture professor at USC when I was deciding where to apply, and he mentioned that UCLA is definitely more of a place to go if you are interested in the intersection between planning/design (although I know USC offers the Design of the Built Environment concentration).

UT Austin's CRP program doesn't have an urban design concentration, nor are they ranked in Planetizen's Guide regarding urban design. They have an entirely different urban design MS. However, the program chair for the MSUD program at UT Austin mentioned that you can apply for the program after your first year as a CRP student and pursue the dual degree program. 

Hope any of that helps!

For folks who have yet to hear from UCLA, is there any updates? Or has anyone reached out? I e-mailed Sean on Monday and he said "you will hear a decision in the coming week" so I'm thinking it would mean today... but I can also see it meaning this coming Monday... any insight?

7 hours ago, urbanplanning2021 said:

Thanks! I've actually reached out to him twice now and haven't gotten a response ? oh well

I also got accepted to UCLA and haven't received a response yet to my inquiry either :( it's agonizing for all of us haha. stay strong

2 minutes ago, rio2sp said:

I also got accepted to UCLA and haven't received a response yet to my inquiry either :( it's agonizing for all of us haha. stay strong

I actually haven't even heard from them at all yet ? I'm assuming that means a rejection, but it would still be nice to know if I can count them out for sure.

Hey all! I would love it if you could vote on my poll created on Reddit to help me decide on my grad school!
It's in no way the ultimate deciding factor but I'd like to know what others would do in my situation. Thanks a bunch!