POI Disclosure

pomegranateleaves

Hi everyone!

I noticed on the results page that things are starting to not be okay? I know that this is an anxious time for all of us as we wait to hear back from programs during a year that is so stressful for so many reasons. However, you cannot force someone to disclose who their POI is. Especially after they have said that they do not want to disclose. Attacking people for not disclosing does not only hurt the individual you are speaking to, but it also hurts the community as a whole. This site has wonderful communities of supportive prospective and admitted graduate students among different fields that offer help and advice in so many ways. But, when people act like this, it 1) makes people feel like they can no longer seek that support and 2) will make people not want to return to the site and connect with other students.

Please remember to be kind to yourself and to others. If anyone else wants to add their own thoughts to this, please do so.

Edited by pomegranateleaves

I agree with you on this. The person on the results page is being rude, and quite frankly.... weird. Some people want to remain anonymous with their PI, and they have every right to do so. That’s why we have the interview thread! 

I feel like that is why the results page exists, to have an anonymous way to report your interview information. Folks that want to report it usually do in their original post. It drives me nuts when the results page gets littered with requests that aren't actual interview invites. 

Side note, people are killing me in the interview thread already too ? so much posting that isn't actual invites lol, every time I see that there is a new addition I get excited and then it's just back and forth banter ? and I didn't want to post this there because then I'd just be part of the problem hahah ?

Yea I noticed that too and holy moly that is aggressive. That kind of behaviour would deter me from posting about an interview or acceptance status at all  - which won't help others looking for a timeline of when certain universities are sending those...I get asked a lot in PM for the initials of the PI I applied to - but it won't help them anyways. I'm literally no one's competition as I'm applying to a person that I've worked with in the past who hasn't taken on a masters student before so unless you worked with her, she won't be listed as your POI.