The official "Help me get more Dropbox storage" Thread

For those who don't know about it, Dropbox is a "cloud" storage setup that can be a lifesaver for those doing research. It's a free (or paid, depending on your storage needs) service that provides you with 2Gb of online storage that works exactly like a USB drive (except no plugging in). You can download a program for your local computer(s) that will stay in contact with the server and keep everything synced. The program can be installed on multiple computers so that a file saved on one is automatically uploaded to the server and then downloaded to a second computer when you fire it up. Some benefits:

All files stored locally as well as online, so if you're away from the internet, you still have the files locally.

30-day version tracking (pull up that version of your dissertation you wish you had from from two weeks ago).

Keep important files backed up.

NO NEED TO EVER CARRY A USB DRIVE AGAIN!!!

So anyway, this thread will be for people to get referrals which increase their storage. Post your referral link here and we'll let karma do the rest. (If you hit the max storage from referrals, please remove your link so others can share the love).

Mine: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE0MjE2MzM5

PS for the referrals process to work, you will need to provide an e-mail address that the other person can see, so be aware. If you don't want to do this, but want DropBox anyway, just go to www.dropbox.com :)

Edited by Postbib Yeshuist

• 1 month later...

Ha, I've already made everyone I know sign up for Dropbox with my link.... It's the best, highly recommended. cool.gif

Good luck, all of you! May you enjoy lots of free extra space.

I use dropbox and also skydrive (25gb). Dropbox is more convenient than Skydrive because you can access the folders directly on your hard drive and it automatically syncs online. With skydrive you need to go online to access the files and folders which is pretty inconvenient. You can download another program which will let you access them on your desktop, but I still think it's inconvenient that you have to download another program to even get those dropbox features.

Edited by joro

• 6 months later...

Me too! http://db.tt/UG22yb7

joro, is SkyDrive like a Microsoft Office version of Google Docs? I've been doing a group project where we share a Dropbox folder, but it doesn't allow multiple people to edit a document at once. For live editing we used Google Docs, but then we had to copy everything out and format it properly in Word afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...