Found typo in submitted Personal Statement FML

Biopsychosocialyzing

I can't believe it, I must have read through it 500 times, had 6 different people proofread it over the last weeks and had all of them check for typos. Then before sending it out I read it and now I went back into my application and read through it and found 2 typos. They are not horrible but they are definitely typos. I freaked out and emailed 2 doctoral students from my current lab who said that it happened to them too, and that they still got interviews, as well as knowing a bunch of people that happened too. Not sure why I am posting but hoping for some reassurance. It was also for my top choice (of course..) I fixed the typo for all other schools that are due now but I am so stressed over it. I guess nothing I can do now..

It's okay!! If 6 different people read over your statement and didn't catch it, I doubt anyone else will notice it either. Plus, the admissions people read through these statements like 5x faster than we do, so I'm sure they will gloss right over it, especially since they're just typos and likely don't change the meaning of the sentence at all. I know it's super frustrating (I found typos and sentences that I wish I had worded better in my statement after submitting, too), but I wouldn't worry about it!! The content is by far the most important part of the statement, over anything else!

You'll be fine! If six people proofread your statement and none of them noticed, it is not likely your POIs are going to make a giant news out of it. You only know about these 2 minor typos because you read your statement 500 times, your POIs will not do the same because they have a humongous number of application to review and also finish their teaching work and prepare for the holiday season and new semester. Also, if you run into someone who invalidates who you are and how hard you worked to get to this point just based on two typos, you need to reevaluate if this person is fit to supervise students and if they will make your life a living hell if you work with them. You are SO MUCH MORE than 2 typos, and you deserve all the faith you can have in yourself!

It's not necessarily the end of the world! I managed to get a prelim at one of my programs...and I realized after the fact that I left a typo in my statement for that school! Go figure. Just means that they aren't 100% anal and are willing to judge you more holistically. Don't give up yet. :)

I don't think I have never not found a typo, missing word, or something in an essay, statement, thesis, whatever after I've submitted it ?