Georgetown SFS - Fall 2021

niceswing

2 minutes ago, CompGuy said:

Yeah heavily considering it. Got a 5k a semester merit too!

Crazy!!! From everyone I’ve spoken to it seems like they’re being especially generous this year funding wise. 

24 minutes ago, niceswing said:

bruh

lol

To be fair if you compare it with previous years, way more people are getting funding this year. I heard it was like 5 people total in past years and this year there’s already like 3 people on GC and 2 other people I know personally who’ve gotten it!

19 hours ago, niceswing said:

for people who did not get aid for ssp, does the letter have a sentence about "you requested money but we didn't give you any"? my masia letter says that, but ssp just says nothing about money at all

It does not mention funding at all. 

1 hour ago, helloppl said:

It does not mention funding at all. 

I got into SSP but no mention of funding and I've yet to see anything specific from the SSP program at Walsh itself. The admissions letter is from the school of arts and sciences dean. 

29 minutes ago, Kole_Kolt said:

I got into SSP but no mention of funding and I've yet to see anything specific from the SSP program at Walsh itself. The admissions letter is from the school of arts and sciences dean. 

That’s true, I’m sure we will hear from SSP this week at some point. Has anyone that was admitted had info about aid on the admission letter from grad school of arts and sciences?

1 hour ago, IA applicant said:

That’s true, I’m sure we will hear from SSP this week at some point. Has anyone that was admitted had info about aid on the admission letter from grad school of arts and sciences?

fyi that's how admissions works, the grad school of arts and science sends acceptances and funding. if you got none, you got none. only emails i'd expect now are probably from ssp inviting you to an open house or something

19 minutes ago, Boddy24 said:

Y’all are all busy talking about your funding and if you’ll get money but I haven’t even gotten my decision for ssp yet ???

It's because we didn't get in lol.  At least, that's what I'm telling myself to lessen the disappointment when I do actually receive a decision from them.  

3 minutes ago, Pahonia said:

It's because we didn't get in lol.  At least, that's what I'm telling myself to lessen the disappointment when I do actually receive a decision from them.  

Yeah it seems like everyone who got a response got in or got on the waitlist so I made that jump in my head too but I still would like to hear back. I got into SAIS and have a great and affordable offer at  St. Andrews so if I don’t get into SSP or MSFS it’s not the end but waiting sucks

3 hours ago, Boddy24 said:

Yeah it seems like everyone who got a response got in or got on the waitlist so I made that jump in my head too but I still would like to hear back. I got into SAIS and have a great and affordable offer at  St. Andrews so if I don’t get into SSP or MSFS it’s not the end but waiting sucks

Which SAIS program did you apply to? I thought SAIS was far more competitive than SSP, honestly 

16 minutes ago, EscapingBrexit said:

Do we think tomorrow is the day for MSFS? I really like Georgetown. I hope it works out for everyone! 

Hoping we can manifest this into existence 

1 hour ago, Kole_Kolt said:

Which SAIS program did you apply to? I thought SAIS was far more competitive than SSP, honestly 

I applied to the MAIR which somewhat matched my interests with the concentration in security/strategy but I really just want to do security studies and study either Russian or Persian hence SSP. But the MLitt program in Middle East Caucasus and Central Asian Security studies at St Andrews is over in 12 months and I’m looking at that now since It’s far more affordable and SAIS gave me no funding besides loans. SSP was pretty much my top choice though MSFS was kind of a backup. I have a very mediocre low 3s GPA so I knew it wasn’t certain but I have killer GRE scores for verbal (98%) so I was hoping that would make up for it ??‍♂️I guess we’ll see when I actually get a response

9 minutes ago, Boddy24 said:

I applied to the MAIR which somewhat matched my interests with the concentration in security/strategy but I really just want to do security studies and study either Russian or Persian hence SSP. But the MLitt program in Middle East Caucasus and Central Asian Security studies at St Andrews is over in 12 months and I’m looking at that now since It’s far more affordable and SAIS gave me no funding besides loans. SSP was pretty much my top choice though MSFS was kind of a backup. I have a very mediocre low 3s GPA so I knew it wasn’t certain but I have killer GRE scores for verbal (98%) so I was hoping that would make up for it ??‍♂️I guess we’ll see when I actually get a response

St Andrews is a nice place to study!

59 minutes ago, Boddy24 said:

Are you from the UK? I wouldn't come to the US for work if I were you lol. St And has a good program too. 

28 minutes ago, Kole_Kolt said:

Are you from the UK? I wouldn't come to the US for work if I were you lol. St And has a good program too. 

No I’m from the U.S. and want to work for the State Department or military so Georgetown and D.C. really seemed like the place to do it St Andrew’s is just a great program at a great school and a really cool experience but in terms of finding a job probably wouldn’t be helpful in terms of connections 

19 hours ago, IA applicant said:

I got aid and there's a paragraph that says I received it.

"Upon the recommendation of the Admissions Committee, I am pleased to approve your admission to the M.A. in Security Studies program, effective with the Fall 2021 Semester. Be sure to print or save a copy of this letter for your future reference.

I am also pleased to inform you that you have been selected to receive a merit-based Graduate School financial aid award. More information about your award and how to accept it is detailed in the financial award letter that will follow."

Then it just talks about putting down a deposit.

3 hours ago, CompGuy said:

I got aid and there's a paragraph that says I received it.

"Upon the recommendation of the Admissions Committee, I am pleased to approve your admission to the M.A. in Security Studies program, effective with the Fall 2021 Semester. Be sure to print or save a copy of this letter for your future reference.

I am also pleased to inform you that you have been selected to receive a merit-based Graduate School financial aid award. More information about your award and how to accept it is detailed in the financial award letter that will follow."

Then it just talks about putting down a deposit.

Edited by helloppl