Environmental Management and Policy 2021

56 minutes ago, coffeebean13 said:

If there are extra seats, they may offer spots off the waitlist. But I don't think they're going to release a decision for everyone on the WL. Because people have until the 15h (or 14th) to decide, most people (especially those on the fence) will make it at the end. So admissions is unlikely to know if they have extra stops for the WL until the day of the deadline.

However, they're likely to match the number of spots offered for WL to spots available (i.e. if they had 2 open spots, they'll pull 2 people from WL )and give them a short time frame to respond. They'll still keep everyone else on the WL (unless you pull yourself off), because there's still the possibility of someone pulling out who had accepted/put down a deposit. They'd want to fill that seat, and they need people on the WL for that.

Ultimately, some of us may hear back if there are seats, but not everyone will hear today or tomorrow. Though if anyone hears back, that is good for those on the WL because it means that any student declining from then on would likely result in someone getting pulled from the WL.  

Ah thank you! I wonder if they will let the people who will be assigned the potentially declined seats know today. They did say that they will be able to discuss your waitlist status beginning after the 15th which is helpful, as I have to put down my deposit for Columbia in a week ?

My brother who was on the waitlist on a few business schools got some recent rejections from the schools he was waitlisted from- I am curious if Yale will take people off the list (reject) or just keep everyone else in that lovely purgatory. 

1 hour ago, yeeeeeeee said:

Ah thank you! I wonder if they will let the people who will be assigned the potentially declined seats know today. They did say that they will be able to discuss your waitlist status beginning after the 15th which is helpful, as I have to put down my deposit for Columbia in a week ?

My brother who was on the waitlist on a few business schools got some recent rejections from the schools he was waitlisted from- I am curious if Yale will take people off the list (reject) or just keep everyone else in that lovely purgatory. 

Fascinating! I imagine that that could happen if the school has a particularly high yield rate (a higher than expected percentage of folks admitted that are accepting offers). If they admitted 15 so that 12 enroll, but all 15 enroll, then they may not see a need to keep a waitlist given that they can lose 3 students (20% of their enrolled students) and still be where they wanted to be. 

Best of luck, @yeeeeeeee!

Edited by coffeebean13

14 minutes ago, coffeebean13 said:

Fascinating! I imagine that that could happen if the school has a particularly high yield rate (a higher than expected percentage of folks admitted that are accepting offers). If they admitted 15 so that 12 enroll, but all 15 enroll, then they may not see a need to keep a waitlist given that they can lose 3 students (20% of their enrolled students) and still be where they wanted to be. 

Best of luck, @yeeeeeeee!

Thanks, you too! Let us know if you get in :D 

On 3/24/2021 at 3:09 PM, pjkenn said:

Hi, I am not Canadian, but I did apply to Canadian schools.  I am an American who was admitted with funding to the University of Toronto, Waterloo, and Dalhousie.  All have offered me funding while UMICH SEAS has not and am considering them at the moment.  Not sure it is a good idea to take out a substantial amount in loans when I have funded offers from those schools.  I have decided to decline UMICH SEAS given the substantial cost as an out of state student although the fact it is very interdisciplinary is attractive.  Maybe others have had better luck in getting funding from UMICH SEAS at the outset, but it appears from this thread, funding is pretty scarce there until one enrolls and even then it appears to be a gamble.

I am currently deciding between University of Toronto and Bren. Have you made your decision?

LOL what yale I got an email with the preview reading "Congratulations on your acceptance to YSE" and then when I opened it it said that I remain on the waitlist??? and doesn't say I was accepted? I'm so confused did this happen to anyone else on the waitlist.

1 hour ago, yeeeeeeee said:

LOL what yale I got an email with the preview reading "Congratulations on your acceptance to YSE" and then when I opened it it said that I remain on the waitlist??? and doesn't say I was accepted? I'm so confused did this happen to anyone else on the waitlist.

It happened to everyone! Someone f'ed up. Ha! Luckily the explanation email saying they had made a mistake had already been sent out by the time I saw it...

1 hour ago, coffeebean13 said:

It happened to everyone! Someone f'ed up. Ha! Luckily the explanation email saying they had made a mistake had already been sent out by the time I saw it...

in a follow up email they said that there were zero declines ! meaning everyone accepted decided to enroll. crazy

Hey guys, just dropping by to say hi. I applied in Fall 2020 and deferred my Umich SEAS admission with 15k to this fall. But they did not offer anything this year so I can say that the funding is really tight at SEAS this year. I already enrolled in Duke  last fall so of course I turned down SEAS this year. 

On 3/20/2021 at 5:50 AM, anxiouslyinlimbo said:

Does anyone have thoughts on if the name of the master's degree is something to consider more significantly? Like Bren's program is for a MESM degree while Columbia would be a MS. Seems like MS is typically more well known... 

Not sure if that makes sense but a lot of time when people look at your headline it'll say "name, MPA" "Name, MS" ...not sure how MESM looks

I am currently deciding between Bren and Columbia, have you made your decision?

1 hour ago, SustainabilityKM said:

Is there a difference in ranking between them? Having a difficult time choosing, curious as to how you made your decision.

When you're choosing between some of the top env programs, I would focus less on their rankings and more on how each program and their alumni outcomes aligns with your career goals. Bren sends people to very different places than Columbia for example, as far as I know.

4 hours ago, SustainabilityKM said:

Is there a difference in ranking between them? Having a difficult time choosing, curious as to how you made your decision.

I liked that the Columbia program was more flexible - only one required course, no time limit on completion (Bren is a full-time 2 year commitment) and you can easily cross register at different schools (law school, business school, architecture, SIPA, etc). Every alum/student I reached out to enjoyed the program. I also liked how diverse the student body and teachers are (actual professors and a lot of adjunct professors who are practitioners in the field...lots of networking opportunities). UCSB was super appealing to me, the faculty there is amazing. The program seemed more strong in conservation and ecology and I am more interested in the business and policy aspects, which Columbia is stronger in. Also Bren has 8 required courses so the pro is you get really close to your cohort, the con is that it's not as flexible a curriculum and I already had a similar very liberal arts, interdisciplinary undergraduate experience. Additionally the Bren program didn't seem as diverse... seemed like most people are from California/west coast and younger like everyone's in their 20s. Between the two, Bren is def the better choice if you think you want to stay in academia. It's a great program and students move on to do PhDs afterwards. 

Let me know if you have more questions! I definitely was torn between which to choose and talked to a ton of students/alums from both programs.

I decided on Columbia for a lot of the same reasons @anxiouslimbo mentioned already. Looking at the course offerings related to the environment/climate change in the public health school, law school, and business school got me really excited to register for my courses. As you know, Columbia's law school and business school are ranked in the top 5-10. Also I do think having some of the *ivy* legacy is helpful - they have an environmental ivy league career fair with great organizations and columbia's alumni networks oriented towards the east coast- where I want to live and work post grad. 

Also, location also played a role for me! I wanted to live in NYC where I already have a community of friends from undergrad and even high school. I've also always wanted to live in NYC and visiting Columbia's campus sealed the deal for me. its sooo pretty (but I guess not as pretty as Bren's lol). Having night classes at Columbia was the biggest draw in my decision, but I just decided that i'll live closer to campus so i wont be arriving home too late. 

3 hours ago, yeeeeeeee said:

I decided on Columbia for a lot of the same reasons @anxiouslimbo mentioned already. Looking at the course offerings related to the environment/climate change in the public health school, law school, and business school got me really excited to register for my courses. As you know, Columbia's law school and business school are ranked in the top 5-10. Also I do think having some of the *ivy* legacy is helpful - they have an environmental ivy league career fair with great organizations and columbia's alumni networks oriented towards the east coast- where I want to live and work post grad. 

Also, location also played a role for me! I wanted to live in NYC where I already have a community of friends from undergrad and even high school. I've also always wanted to live in NYC and visiting Columbia's campus sealed the deal for me. its sooo pretty (but I guess not as pretty as Bren's lol). Having night classes at Columbia was the biggest draw in my decision, but I just decided that i'll live closer to campus so i wont be arriving home too late. 

Thanks for your insights! My main hesitation is the night classes and potential lack of community due to the part/full time students. Definitely the Columbia name is a big draw. We're you able to get any career outcomes details from the people you spoke with? I find the website a bit lacking on stats and starting salary compared to Bren.

Hi! Just adding to this thread regarding Columbia MSSM. I'm applying last minute the deadline is in 10 days. I wanted to ask you guys why you were drawn to this program, how big is the class right now? Should I wait till the fall to apply? I am just uneasy about the high yield this year. Any advice to an international student here is super helpful!

• 3 months later...