Environmental Management and Policy 2021

On 3/8/2021 at 10:12 PM, 0505SACT98 said:

Had a friend who went to the MPA-ESP program straight out of undergrad (orientation was about a week after graduation). While the experience might vary, I think it is to your advantage for the most part. If you've taken science courses in undergrad, the first semester will be relatively easy since you'll already have the hang of sitting through lectures and writing lab reports etc. But if you think you might be too worn out by the end of graduation, best to reconsider.

But, from what I've heard, It's a lot more doable than one might imagine. 

Hey, thanks for weighing in, that's really nice of you! ? Yeah... could be true that just staying in the flow of things could help, I do have carpal tunnel after working nonstop on my thesis, so I was really hoping for some time away to recover xD 

On 3/8/2021 at 7:51 PM, prokem said:

Nic and YSE are both great for policy! 

Thank you for your response — I think in all honesty, I totally overlooked this when I was evaluating the strength of their programs. It seemed like the proximity of SIPA to UN HQ and other international bodies would be a huge plus, but now it's looking like a tiny plus because of how expensive all of this could be :P

Still haven't heard from Bren... anyone know how likely it is to get accepted with a GPA below the cut off? I have had 3 internships + one full time job in environmental field (UCSB is my alma mater), and a letter of rec from a Bren professor. Worried about my low overall gpa from the first two years of undergrad..

Edited by ktemmm

9 minutes ago, ktemmm said:

Still haven't heard from Bren... anyone know how likely it is to get accepted with a GPA below the cut off? I have had 3 internships + one full time job in environmental field (UCSB is my alma mater), and a letter of rec from a Bren professor. Worried about my low overall gpa from the first two years of undergrad..

I got in this morning, so they're still rolling out acceptances. I can't speak to the GPA part personally, but looking at the shared results on Gradcafe, someone got into their PhD program last year with a 2.90. There's always a chance, especially since the rest of your application sounds great! :)

1 minute ago, yeeeeeeee said:

how likely is it to get off any waitlist (specifically yales) before April 15th? suuuuuch a long time to wait until ugh

also curious on previous year's YSE fin aid, specifically how it compared to others schools & if that seemed to be a deciding factor for folks

57 minutes ago, tiaki said:

I got in this morning, so they're still rolling out acceptances. I can't speak to the GPA part personally, but looking at the shared results on Gradcafe, someone got into their PhD program last year with a 2.90. There's always a chance, especially since the rest of your application sounds great! :)

Congrats!! Thank you for providing some perspective :)

11 hours ago, anxiouslyinlimbo said:

Congrats! I just heard back from Bren too and would to know if there's a Facebook group or anything as well!!

6 hours ago, Neha29 said:

Is there any group for Bren admitted students ? Would love to connect 

It said on the admitted students page they will make one (a FB group) in July after people have decided & put down their deposits. Kinda weird they don't want us to connect before then ? I assume that some groups help people make their decisions... 

1 hour ago, yeeeeeeee said:

It said on the admitted students page they will make one (a FB group) in July after people have decided & put down their deposits. Kinda weird they don't want us to connect before then ? I assume that some groups help people make their decisions... 

I think we will find out the students during the admitted student webinar.

3 hours ago, yeeeeeeee said:

Did you get any info from Bren on funding/finaid? 

1 hour ago, SustainabilityKM said:

Hello, great to e-meet you all.

I got admitted to Bren last week. No from Yale.

Submitted to Columbia recently as well as SEAS.

Anyone else applying to schools outside of the US? Im applying to U of Toronto and LSE.

I am! Kings College London and University of Edinburgh. I'm always wishing there was more info about UK/overseas schools on here. 

12 minutes ago, ICDI said:

I am! Kings College London and University of Edinburgh. I'm always wishing there was more info about UK/overseas schools on here. 

You might find more on UK schools on The Student Room. There is a growing amount of grad school stuff on that UK forum. Good luck with King's and Edinburgh, two great places to be. A few friends have been to them and loved them both. 

6 hours ago, yeeeeeeee said:

That's so interesting. The Nicholas and SEAS FB groups have been really helpful for me so far, just in lurking and getting a feel of the cohorts, the cultures, and what I have in common with other admits. Most of the people in each group seem to be decided on that particular program, but there are plenty who aren't yet.

1 hour ago, evav said:

Probably safe to assume that no hearing from Bren = not admitted? wish they would just send out all the rejections already jeeze. 

Idk what's up with them releasing decisions so slowly, but I was admitted yesterday so it's definitely still rolling out.

38 minutes ago, tiaki said:

That's so interesting. The Nicholas and SEAS FB groups have been really helpful for me so far, just in lurking and getting a feel of the cohorts, the cultures, and what I have in common with other admits. Most of the people in each group seem to be decided on that particular program, but there are plenty who aren't yet.

Idk what's up with them releasing decisions so slowly, but I was admitted yesterday so it's definitely still rolling out.

I wonder if they are doing it alphabetically??? My last name starts w M

3 minutes ago, yeeeeeeee said:

I wonder if they are doing it alphabetically??? My last name starts w M

First letter of mine is before M, but at that rate the end of the alphabet wouldn't hear back for weeks so hopefully it's not alphabetical!

Congratulations to everyone, hopefully the last string of admits will roll in soon! 

Meanwhile, looking at the low funding stats from results and this forum, I am just wondering how the heck are we supposed to pay such high tuitions! The TA positions these schools have been promoting would become extremely competitive too, oh well seems like the stress cycle is not gonna end soon :(

3 hours ago, mimi209 said:

Congratulations to everyone, hopefully the last string of admits will roll in soon! 

Meanwhile, looking at the low funding stats from results and this forum, I am just wondering how the heck are we supposed to pay such high tuitions! The TA positions these schools have been promoting would become extremely competitive too, oh well seems like the stress cycle is not gonna end soon :(

I know...I'm definitely starting to get disheartened and thinking I won't be able to attend. Holding on hope that there are still some scholarships yet to be distributed? SEAS said GSI positions are rare for new students, but according to the job postings you can't even apply if you aren't a student yet. Hoping other positions are avaliable soon. 

Seem inevitable I'll have to take out loans, but I don't know how much is too much. So much stress! ?

On 2/24/2021 at 4:47 PM, tiaki said:

Same, no funding info. Hopefully they send the formal notification and let us know soon!

On 2/25/2021 at 3:10 PM, qrrcl said:

An email was sent to check the portal. My admission is "provisional" pending the receipt of my official transcript from undergrad. I applied to the Master of Env. Science and Mgmnt in Environmental Science and Management.

hey did either of you ever get any info regarding funding from Bren?