Environmental Management and Policy 2021

1 minute ago, yeeeeeeee said:

ugh thats so annoying! weird that some people have already heard so early!

Yeah it's definitely frustrating, I can't handle another month of stress haha. I'm also not sure what it means that some people have already heard. I'd imagine the PhD and Masters admissions are separate so maybe they aren't as behind there!

33 minutes ago, yeeeeeeee said:

ugh thats so annoying! weird that some people have already heard so early!

Yes! so annoying! Also waiting on SEAS (and a few others, but no one has heard back from the others, so that's not a problem!)...ugh.

I got in to Nicholas, but haven't heard anything from SEAS yet. I also applied to Duke's Sanford School and Michigan's Ford School for their MPPs. I did get into IU Bloomington's O'Neill for their MPA-MSES program as well. I haven't heard a peep about funding though. I did however just set up the Michigan account and it has my application as arriving Jan 16th...so...might not be hearing from them soon. Although I am certain I submitted it at 3pm on the 15th. Maybe they just pulled it from the portal the next day. Idk I'm a nervous wreck and would like to know results lol.

Edited by qwertympp

1 hour ago, qwertympp said:

I got in to Nicholas, but haven't heard anything from SEAS yet. I also applied to Duke's Sanford School and Michigan's Ford School for their MPPs. I did get into IU Bloomington's O'Neill for their MPA-MSES program as well. I haven't heard a peep about funding though. I did however just set up the Michigan account and it has my application as arriving Jan 16th...so...might not be hearing from them soon. Although I am certain I submitted it at 3pm on the 15th. Maybe they just pulled it from the portal the next day. Idk I'm a nervous wreck and would like to know results lol.

I got in and the portal also says my application arrived on the 16th (but I know I submitted on the 15th), so you're probably fine on that front!

Edit: Also, if anyone else was waiting on further funding info, my financial aid portal updated and it's work study + unsubsidized loan

Edited by tiaki

4 hours ago, tiaki said:

I got in and the portal also says my application arrived on the 16th (but I know I submitted on the 15th), so you're probably fine on that front!

Edit: Also, if anyone else was waiting on further funding info, my financial aid portal updated and it's work study + unsubsidized loan

It says 16th Jan on my portal as well. Weirdly though, my portal doesn't seem to reflect my application decision nor any funding information 

What's work study btw? Also you're talking about the wolverine portal right?

Edited by Theconfusedsoul

1 hour ago, Theconfusedsoul said:

It says 16th Jan on my portal as well. Weirdly though, my portal doesn't seem to reflect my application decision nor any funding information 

What's work study btw? Also you're talking about the wolverine portal right?

Yup, Wolverine! They may still be rolling things out by specialization, I was accepted into the policy one. Work study is basically a part-time job through the school, usually on campus, that partly pays for your tuition.

Hi! 

I got waitlisted at SIPA for the MPA-ESP program a month ago and I cannot stop thinking about it. For those who got accepted in the program, @would you please be kind enough to share some insight as to when the deadline was for you to accept your offer?  any insight how the waitlist works considering the program only takes a cohort of 50-60? 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, amikaanomato said:

Hi! 

I got waitlisted at SIPA for the MPA-ESP program a month ago and I cannot stop thinking about it. For those who got accepted in the program, @would you please be kind enough to share some insight as to when the deadline was for you to accept your offer?  any insight how the waitlist works considering the program only takes a cohort of 50-60? 

Thank you!

The deadline to respond might vary. I applied before the ED deadline, got accepted on Dec 21 and had about a month to respond to my offer (the deadline was Feb 15th). So far, there are about 35 enrolled students, with more to come. Sounds like you stand a good chance, seeing as they will have to finalize the cohort in mid-April. Good luck!

Edited by 0505SACT98

19 hours ago, prokem said:

I went through the process last year and would not say SEAS is a research oriented program. I think it differed within the program based on the tracks (policy, ej, etc) to an extent, but I think they are moving more towards a practical model which characterizes the other big professional environmental programs. Your "thesis" can be research or the more client-based approach that other big programs (YSE, Nic, etc) use. 

In terms of funding, first years with a strong work or educational background can get GSI positions, though like you said there is stiff competition and limited spots. Their GSI $+benefits are way more generous than any other school I know of. At YSE TAs get a couple thousand per semester (thank you UMich unions!). I also got the impression that funding opportunities are limited outside of the need/merit based $ announced with admissions. There are fellowships like Ford but they're hard to get afaik.

@Theconfusedsoul I would agree with everything prokem has said. I do think that out of all the programs I at least applied to, UMich would be the destination to get some research experience though in some fashion. In the acceptance letter, it mentions some students opt for a thesis instead of the capstone project.

Also, to those wondering about Bren admissions, I received funding with my letter of acceptance so perhaps they partitioned out admission decisions that way with the first wave getting some sort of funding offer? I have a friend who also applied UCSB and hasn't received a decision yet.

33 minutes ago, 0505SACT98 said:

The deadline to respond might vary. I applied before the ED deadline, got accepted on Dec 21 and had about a month to respond to my offer (the deadline was Feb 15th). So far, there are about 35 enrolled students, with more to come. Sounds like you stand a good chance, seeing as they will have to finalize the cohort in mid-April. Good luck!

OMG thank you so much! ❤️ 

Hi all,

Directed to this website and forum from numerous Reddit searches - not sure if this is good for my mental health lol.

I applied to three schools - YSE, UW Evans, and CU Boulder. I received my acceptance to UW Evans last Friday, which I am very excited about! From what I have read about their MPA program and specialization offered in environmental policy, I feel like it is a great interdisciplinary program with great resources, faculty, and alumni network. Any additional insight from any of you would be greatly appreciated! I am slightly worried though - I am an out-of-state student who did not receive any additional funding. I guess the "sticker shock" of grad school is starting to settle in...

I still have not heard from Yale or Boulder. Yale is my top choice. After participating in numerous webinars and learning more about the program, it seems top-notch. I also creep pretty hard on LinkedIn and it seems like many people in the environmental management/policy field have gotten their degrees from Yale. A number of environmental wonks in the Biden admin have MEM degrees as well, so it is quite impressive where their graduates end up working after the program is complete.

Good luck to everyone here awaiting their application decisions! For me, the competitiveness and prestige of YSE seems quite daunting in regard to my application status. I'm very excited about the UW Evans acceptance that I will be happy if that ends up being the spot! Still, that YSE program...

Hi everyone,

I've obnoxiously checking my email and this forum for updates and thought I'd share where I stand with my applications. I applied to Duke MEM, Yale MEM, UCSB MESM, UC Berkley Energy and Resources, and Columbia M.S. In Sustainability Management.

I got acceptances to Duke and Columbia, got a rejection from Berkley, still waiting on Yale and Bren. My productivity is definitely not peaking these days, hope they won't make us wait much longer. Columbia doesn't offer any funding and Duke said they will be reaching out with funding decisions by mid-March. 

Is anyone here thinking of double majors like MEM/MBA or MEM/JD?

Good luck with your applications everyone!!

Hey all,

It's a "no" from Yale for me. Bummed, but what are you going to do?

Best of luck to everyone else! We are all fighting to protect this planet, the environment, and those most affected by climate change. I hope we all can make a positive impact in regard to environmental policy and management and help make the world a better place to live in.

Rejected from YSE, lol. I guess this at least helps narrow my decision? If I had gotten in it would 100% be between them and Nicholas, though I was leaning YSE because it seems to be a slightly more academic/intellectual setting (not that Duke isn't, just the MEM there seems more strictly professional). Oh well! Yet to hear back from Bren.

Also rejected from Yale, not surprised at all (June 2020 grad lol). Still waiting for Bren and a couple programs in the UK to get back to me. Exciting to start to narrow down where we all might be, atleast!

Edited by ICDI

30 minutes ago, yeeeeeeee said:

Has anyone seen from previous year threads if people have gotten off the waitlist for Yale's MEM? I don't want to get my hopes up if its low chances lol. Also anyone know how big the cohort size is?

I did! Got off in mid/late March. There are roughly 120 or so MEMs per cohort.

21 minutes ago, prokem said:

I did! Got off in mid/late March. There are roughly 120 or so MEMs per cohort.

Oh thats good news :) Do you know if any of your classmates also got in off the waitlist? I feel like this year is probably more competitive due to covid lol. 

14 minutes ago, yeeeeeeee said:

Oh thats good news :) Do you know if any of your classmates also got in off the waitlist? I feel like this year is probably more competitive due to covid lol. 

No idea. Heard a rumor that they freaked bc of covid and accepted everyone off the waitlist last year, but have no idea if that's actually true