Environmental Management and Policy 2021

5 minutes ago, ICDI said:

Also have yet to hear from SEAS ?   After incessantly stalking the results page on here (lol), it looks like last year decisions came out over the course of a week, potentially in two waves (the 18th and the 25th). And based on what someone said earlier about a SEAS admissions staff saying they will come out "over the next week", I think its possible that there will be a second batch of notifications next week. 

Also, did anyone just receive a notice from Yale about all decisions being released on or before the 8th? 

Yes, got an email from Yale about decision timeline.

Edited by mimi209

Also received the YSE email. I'm really not expecting to get in (I've heard they heavily favor work experience and I just graduated last year), but it's good to know I won't have to wait much longer to have all my admissions decisions. I'm assuming Bren will be fully out by next week, since qrrcl received their decision yesterday.

5 hours ago, qrrcl said:

I am not sure about Duke since I didn't apply there so perhaps someone else can comment on that part? However, the main difference for UCSB and UMich is that it seems that UMich has put a strong emphasis on the social science portion of their programs (psychology, economics, anthropology, sociology, etc...) while UCSB focuses more on solutions to environmental issues throughout their program and the Bren School is highly ranked throughout the past few decades. They both have different specializations as well. Both UMIch and UCSB have capstone projects and overall both are great programs.

Just a thought here, I believe sustainable systems track at SEAS is trying to focus more on the solutions to environmental issues like you mentioned for Bren. Exactly why I chose sustainable systems track for myself. But if what you say is right about Bren, damn I missed out on that cause that's exactly what I aim to achieve with a slight focus on social science. 

Where do you plan to go anyway? 

@ICDIthey did mention over the next 1-1.5 weeks to me on 24th Feb so I guess you'd want to wait it out, fingers crossed 

2 minutes ago, Theconfusedsoul said:

Just a thought here, I believe sustainable systems track at SEAS is trying to focus more on the solutions to environmental issues like you mentioned for Bren. Exactly why I chose sustainable systems track for myself. But if what you say is right about Bren, damn I missed out on that cause that's exactly what I aim to achieve with a slight focus on social science. 

@ICDIthey did mention over the next 1-1.5 weeks to me on 24th Feb so I guess you'd want to wait it out, fingers crossed 

I just heard from SEAS. Rejected :( Hopefully it's different for you! 

3 minutes ago, Theconfusedsoul said:

Could very well be the case! I attended the webinars and wrote down what each program emphasized the most and that's what stood out to me for each school.

I am leaning towards attending UW for an MPA in environmental policy but I really have to think about the funding situation... I will likely turn down my Columbia acceptance today due to the cost of attendance.

Where is everyone thinking of going?

23 minutes ago, ICDI said:

I just heard from SEAS. Rejected :( Hopefully it's different for you! 

Dang I'm so sorry. But as the admission committee mentioned, "most competitive pool in SEAS' history". Hope you get in other colleges you've applied to 

Very fortunately for me I got in 1/5 colleges I've applied to with SEAS being the first one to release the results. But tbh, I have ~2 years work exp in renewable energy so I believe that worked out in my favour (with my grades, I wasnt expecting any college to take me in...) 

20 minutes ago, qrrcl said:

Could very well be the case! I attended the webinars and wrote down what each program emphasized the most and that's what stood out to me for each school.

I am leaning towards attending UW for an MPA in environmental policy but I really have to think about the funding situation... I will likely turn down my Columbia acceptance today due to the cost of attendance.

Where is everyone thinking of going?

Hey that's great! MPA is typically more focused in public policy, right?

For me, ive really shot for the stars by applying to MIT but that's a dream for any engineer I feel... Waiting for the results to come out for that but if not, I think I will be joining SEAS 

I'm worried about the funding too as they haven't mentioned any in my email but would you happen to know if we can get some sort of funding in the 4 months from accepting the offer to commencement of classes? Like do graduate schools typically waive tuition (part or full) if the prof agrees to fund a project (GSRA is what I believe it's called). Cause given my grades, merit scholarship is definitely not an option

I know MIT does it so I'm hoping other schools do it too 

29 minutes ago, Theconfusedsoul said:

Dang I'm so sorry. But as the admission committee mentioned, "most competitive pool in SEAS' history". Hope you get in other colleges you've applied to 

Very fortunately for me I got in 1/5 colleges I've applied to with SEAS being the first one to release the results. But tbh, I have ~2 years work exp in renewable energy so I believe that worked out in my favour (with my grades, I wasnt expecting any college to take me in...) 

Thank you! I am still hopeful. I have heard back from both Arizona State and Loyola with acceptances, so while they aren't traditional env management programs, I have some choices. Still waiting on 5 others so I'm feeling OK. Truthfully, SEAS was my first and worst application SOP wise, so I'm hoping for other good news in the next few weeks. 

This whole process is so nerve wrecking! 

2 hours ago, Theconfusedsoul said:

Hey that's great! MPA is typically more focused in public policy, right?

For me, ive really shot for the stars by applying to MIT but that's a dream for any engineer I feel... Waiting for the results to come out for that but if not, I think I will be joining SEAS 

I'm worried about the funding too as they haven't mentioned any in my email but would you happen to know if we can get some sort of funding in the 4 months from accepting the offer to commencement of classes? Like do graduate schools typically waive tuition (part or full) if the prof agrees to fund a project (GSRA is what I believe it's called). Cause given my grades, merit scholarship is definitely not an option

I know MIT does it so I'm hoping other schools do it too 

Yeah it's just a professional degree so I hope it will help obtain jobs in an easier fashion. I'm also 2 years in a full time position so I'd be leaving that to hopefully get a higher paying job in a field I can hopefully help make meaningful change in.

Hmmm I do think GSRAs (graduate student research assistantships) are definitely an option at many schools but the recurring theme I get is that they are highly competitive and tend to go to second years. The good thing is that I think you can get one in another department. For example, it seems like you are an engineering student. Perhaps there is opening in the engineering department so you'd have 2 departments to compete against (SEAS and the engineering department). An advantage of GSRAs is that I also think they would cover health insurance too among lowering tuition to at least in-state. I'm not sure of opportunities where they will fully cover tuition within schools after admission results have been released. The impression I get is that funding typically comes with your admission letter (unless explicitly stated that funding decisions will come at a later time) and then the University's Office of Aid will send any need-based scholarships/loans later.

Edited by qrrcl

4 minutes ago, ICDI said:

Thank you! I am still hopeful. I have heard back from both Arizona State and Loyola with acceptances, so while they aren't traditional env management programs, I have some choices. Still waiting on 5 others so I'm feeling OK. Truthfully, SEAS was my first and worst application SOP wise, so I'm hoping for other good news in the next few weeks. 

This whole process is so nerve wrecking! 

Yeah and SEAS had the requirement to submit 2 other essays on top of the academic SOP too (well the diversity one was optional)... Intense process for sure but I hope you receive some good news soon!

3 minutes ago, qrrcl said:

I just received an email from the Bren School specifically now congratulating me on my acceptance. Hopefully this means others will hear from Bren directly soon????

Really hope so, the anxiety is killing (fingers crossed). I got accepted to SEAS but eagerly waiting for Bren, it is one of my top choices. Btw, congratulations on your admit!

Edited by mimi209

Received formal acceptance letter from Rackham at almost 1AM their time, with updated portal etc.

Financial aid area shows nothing, so I guess no funding for me! This makes my decision of where to go really difficult unless no one else gives me a scholarship as well, haha. I wonder how they decide merit scholarships? I’m pretty worried now that Nicholas won’t give me one, either.

23 hours ago, tiaki said:

Also received the YSE email. I'm really not expecting to get in (I've heard they heavily favor work experience and I just graduated last year), but it's good to know I won't have to wait much longer to have all my admissions decisions. I'm assuming Bren will be fully out by next week, since qrrcl received their decision yesterday.

They definitely do value work experience heavily, more so than the other big 4 environmental programs in my perspective, but every year there are a handful of people with 0-1 years of exp, so don't count yourself out!

5 hours ago, environcheeky said:

Congrats!! Do you know which program you're leaning towards?

I'm honestly not sure! I'm still waiting to hear back from Bren, Yale, and a couple programs in the UK. Although the C&S program at Columbia isn't a traditional env management program, it seems to strongly align with my goals/interests while also still having professional development opportunities. Definitely a top choice for me, although cost will be rough. I could definitely see myself picking Columbia in the end, but for now, I'm unsure. How about yourself?

On 2/27/2021 at 3:11 AM, qrrcl said:

Yeah it's just a professional degree so I hope it will help obtain jobs in an easier fashion. I'm also 2 years in a full time position so I'd be leaving that to hopefully get a higher paying job in a field I can hopefully help make meaningful change in.

Would you then say UMich is a lot more research oriented masters? 

Cause im actually trying to explore the research field as I never really got around it in undergrad. Although having worked 2 years in a full time role myself, a higher paying job is definitely quite attractive but Im a bit anxious about the whole visa process. Sounds quite stressful for international students 

On 2/27/2021 at 3:11 AM, qrrcl said:

Hmmm I do think GSRAs (graduate student research assistantships) are definitely an option at many schools but the recurring theme I get is that they are highly competitive and tend to go to second years. The good thing is that I think you can get one in another department. For example, it seems like you are an engineering student. Perhaps there is opening in the engineering department so you'd have 2 departments to compete against (SEAS and the engineering department). An advantage of GSRAs is that I also think they would cover health insurance too among lowering tuition to at least in-state. I'm not sure of opportunities where they will fully cover tuition within schools after admission results have been released. The impression I get is that funding typically comes with your admission letter (unless explicitly stated that funding decisions will come at a later time) and then the University's Office of Aid will send any need-based scholarships/loans later.

I read on their site that the GSIs are based on the merits and hence are usually granted to 2nd year students. Whereas GSRAs are from the departments (don't remember exactly) and you may get from the beginning. Hoping to talk to someone soon from the department to get more details

But from what you say, funding looks quite difficult if it's not mentioned in the acceptance letter 

Edited by Theconfusedsoul

42 minutes ago, Theconfusedsoul said:

Would you then say UMich is a lot more research oriented masters? 

Cause im actually trying to explore the research field as I never really got around it in undergrad. Although having worked 2 years in a full time role myself, a higher paying job is definitely quite attractive but Im a bit anxious about the whole visa process. Sounds quite stressful for international students 

I read on their site that the GSIs are based on the merits and hence are usually granted to 2nd year students. Whereas GSRAs are from the departments (don't remember exactly) and you may get from the beginning. Hoping to talk to someone soon from the department to get more details

But from what you say, funding looks quite difficult if it's not mentioned in the acceptance letter 

I went through the process last year and would not say SEAS is a research oriented program. I think it differed within the program based on the tracks (policy, ej, etc) to an extent, but I think they are moving more towards a practical model which characterizes the other big professional environmental programs. Your "thesis" can be research or the more client-based approach that other big programs (YSE, Nic, etc) use. 

In terms of funding, first years with a strong work or educational background can get GSI positions, though like you said there is stiff competition and limited spots. Their GSI $+benefits are way more generous than any other school I know of. At YSE TAs get a couple thousand per semester (thank you UMich unions!). I also got the impression that funding opportunities are limited outside of the need/merit based $ announced with admissions. There are fellowships like Ford but they're hard to get afaik.

Am stressing about the YSE applications and when we will find out. Do people interpret that we will hear ON the 8th? or like will it be rolling / staggered? Has anyone heard yet? a thread back in 2019 said some people got decisions as early as March 2nd and 3rd for Yale MEM. 

I haven't heard back from Bren yet either which it seems like some people have already heard on this forum.  Luckily Duke accepted me on the 23rd so im chillin on that front. But still anxious to hear back on the other 2 ( and columbia, but i submitted my MS SM in february so kinda late)

26 minutes ago, yeeeeeeee said:

I haven't heard back from Bren yet either which it seems like some people have already heard on this forum.  Luckily Duke accepted me on the 23rd so im chillin on that front. But still anxious to hear back on the other 2 ( and columbia, but i submitted my MS SM in february so kinda late)

I applied to a PhD at Bren, not Masters, but we were supposed to hear decisions yesterday and instead they emailed at like 4pm their time that they were behind and decisions would be out by the end of March. I wouldn't be surprised if Masters admissions were also affected and later than usual. 

3 minutes ago, yackets said:

I applied to a PhD at Bren, not Masters, but we were supposed to hear decisions yesterday and instead they emailed at like 4pm their time that they were behind and decisions would be out by the end of March. I wouldn't be surprised if Masters admissions were also affected and later than usual. 

ugh thats so annoying! weird that some people have already heard so early!