UNC MSW FALL 2021

Sleverett

3 minutes ago, Thom S said:

So, are folks still receiving acceptances at this point? I haven’t heard anything and i’m getting really nervous now....

They are likely only sending out acceptances in place of those that decline an admissions offer at this time. As far as I know, they have not sent out any updates to applicants or a suggested timeline where they expect to be finished with the process except "March." In the past, they have sent out a generic rejection email to all candidates at the same time who did not hear back by mid march.

10 minutes ago, PickachuBlue said:

They are likely only sending out acceptances in place of those that decline an admissions offer at this time. As far as I know, they have not sent out any updates to applicants or a suggested timeline where they expect to be finished with the process except "March." In the past, they have sent out a generic rejection email to all candidates at the same time who did not hear back by mid march.

Can I ask what makes you feel like this was the case? I felt like admissions decisions were going to be sent throughout the month of March, but is it typical that acceptances are sent late Feb and the rest are just denials? 

29 minutes ago, Thom S said:

Can I ask what makes you feel like this was the case? I felt like admissions decisions were going to be sent throughout the month of March, but is it typical that acceptances are sent late Feb and the rest are just denials? 

Yes, in the previous threads from 2020-2017, it appears to be the case that acceptances are mostly sent out in February. If you go read those threads, you'll see a ton of people saying they received an acceptance in February. There are a couple of acceptances that come in early March, but they are very infrequent. This leads me to believe those come from February people declining their acceptance. Then there's sometimes a waitlist that comes for just a couple of people right after everyone else is rejected in mid-March that appears to have spots left from anyone else that declines that can go up until April, probably coming from people that were offered an acceptance in March that then declined or anyone from February changing their mind last minute. 

Edited by PickachuBlue

On 3/5/2021 at 5:20 PM, Luisa206 said:

It was good news! I’m slightly confused though because my portal hasn’t updated to say I was accepted, I guess it will probably update in the next few days,

Congrats!! Did your notice come via mail or email??

19 hours ago, PickachuBlue said:

Yes, in the previous threads from 2020-2017, it appears to be the case that acceptances are mostly sent out in February. If you go read those threads, you'll see a ton of people saying they received an acceptance in February. There are a couple of acceptances that come in early March, but they are very infrequent. This leads me to believe those come from February people declining their acceptance. Then there's sometimes a waitlist that comes for just a couple of people right after everyone else is rejected in mid-March that appears to have spots left from anyone else that declines that can go up until April, probably coming from people that were offered an acceptance in March that then declined or anyone from February changing their mind last minute. 

I disagree with this thought process because there are at least two variables that are not being addressed. We are in a global pandemic, those previous years were not dealing with the logistical changes that this may have or may not have causes relating to admissions. Second, out of 600+ estimated applicants to this MSW program, how many use gradcafe forums? Are they a majority of all applicants? There may be other people that dont use this forum that may have been accepted beyond the dates that you stated. I really do appreciate you letting us know your findings and taking the time to search and analyze old threads to help us, I am confident that it comes from a good place 

4 hours ago, Appmsw said:

I disagree with this thought process because there are at least two variables that are not being addressed. We are in a global pandemic, those previous years were not dealing with the logistical changes that this may have or may not have causes relating to admissions. Second, out of 600+ estimated applicants to this MSW program, how many use gradcafe forums? Are they a majority of all applicants? There may be other people that dont use this forum that may have been accepted beyond the dates that you stated. I really do appreciate you letting us know your findings and taking the time to search and analyze old threads to help us, I am confident that it comes from a good place 

I understand your points. Either way, remaining decisions will certainly come out this week or next.

I applied for the 3 year program, and at my interview (which was early Feb.) they told me "if you have not heard from us by the beginning of the third week of March, email us." They also said that they only accept 25 students to the 3-year program every year, so my thought is that it's more competitive. However, I have no way of knowing how many applicants they had this year.

32 minutes ago, Thom S said:

Me either!! I called on Monday and all they could tell me was that my application was still being reviewed and that I should hear 'soon.' It's killing me!

Oooh thanks for the info, I feel you in the waiting!!! Im pretty sure I was one of the last ones to submit so I wonder if they will make me wait until the end.

49 minutes ago, Appmsw said:

Oooh thanks for the info, I feel you in the waiting!!! Im pretty sure I was one of the last ones to submit so I wonder if they will make me wait until the end.

Ugh I hate the thought of them being returned as they were submitted, cause I submitted mine on December 18th, which I feel like isn't too late.