University of Toronto Master of Information 2021

arisosen

2 hours ago, zooissad said:

I finished my application back in mid-dec and it's still shown as "doc received"... now i'm kinda nervous, wondering if i should mail Andrea for an update lol... I'm applying from Hong Kong:) 

Maybe they forgot to update it on the portal? Doesn't hurt to ask them!

On 2/21/2021 at 12:14 PM, zooissad said:

Yeah I just sent them an email. Hopefully there'll be good news soon! Also, congrats on your admission offer! :)

Hey, did you get an update yet? I am having the same issue. It has been over 5 weeks and it is still "docs received".

Edited by neshin

11 hours ago, neshin said:

Hey, did you get an update yet? I am having the same issue. It has been over 5 weeks and it is still "docs received".

Hi, I got a reply saying that my email had been forwarded to the admissions team. I'm still waiting for a solid update from them lol

Edited by zooissad

3 hours ago, zooissad said:

Hi, I got a reply saying that my email had been forwarded to the admissions team. I'm still waiting for a solid update from them lol

update: the status of my application had finally changed to "under review" after 2 months lol

22 minutes ago, zooissad said:

update: the status of my application had finally changed to "under review" after 2 months lol

Thats good news! Their application process is so frustrating. The both time I emailed them they literally copy pasted the same message that "The admissions assessor is working as quickly as possible to manually prep all the files in the order they are complete". Which clearly is not the case. Wish they'd be more transparent on what's going on.

6 minutes ago, neshin said:

Thats good news! Their application process is so frustrating. The both time I emailed them they literally copy pasted the same message that "The admissions assessor is working as quickly as possible to manually prep all the files in the order they are complete". Which clearly is not the case. Wish they'd be more transparent on what's going on.

Ikr! I'm not asking for an immediate decision but it's just weird how others' applications were updated as "under review" in a few weeks while I had to wait for more than two months... I hope you get some solid updates soon!

16 minutes ago, zooissad said:

Ikr! I'm not asking for an immediate decision but it's just weird how others' applications were updated as "under review" in a few weeks while I had to wait for more than two months... I hope you get some solid updates soon!

Their email says that it takes 4-6 weeks to come to a decision once it is changed to "under review". Which means for most of us whose status is still "docs received",  we wont be getting a decision until end of March or April. Hope they will may be speed up the process and we will get an update soon. Fingers crossed.

11 hours ago, neshin said:

Their email says that it takes 4-6 weeks to come to a decision once it is changed to "under review". Which means for most of us whose status is still "docs received",  we wont be getting a decision until end of March or April. Hope they will may be speed up the process and we will get an update soon. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, it's frustrating how they aren't reviewing applications in the order that they were submitted. Mine still says 'documents received.' I submitted my application on Jan 23rd. I have offers from other universities. I'm not why UofT is taking such an unbearably long time. Their process seems a bit disorganized... they're not being very transparent, I agree.

Did you end up emailing Andrea or the admissions office?

52 minutes ago, thenuminous said:

Yeah, it's frustrating how they aren't reviewing applications in the order that they were submitted. Mine still says 'documents received.' I submitted my application on Jan 23rd. I have offers from other universities. I'm not why UofT is taking such an unbearably long time. Their process seems a bit disorganized... they're not being very transparent, I agree.

Did you end up emailing Andrea or the admissions office?

Hey! I emailed both admissions office and Andrea but it was Andrea who replied to both of my emails.

Both times she gave me the same response which is..."The admissions assessor is working as quickly as possible to manually prep all the files in the order they are complete. Once your file is ready for the committee, your status will change to under review. It typically takes approximately 4-6 weeks for a decision to be made once your status changes to under review."

1 minute ago, neshin said:

Hey! I emailed both admissions office and Andrea but it was Andrea who replied to both of my emails.

Both times she gave me the same response which is..."The admissions assessor is working as quickly as possible to manually prep all the files in the order they are complete. Once your file is ready for the committee, your status will change to under review. It typically takes approximately 4-6 weeks for a decision to be made once your status changes to under review."

Sorry to hear that. That must have been a frustrating. Know that you're not the only one in this situation, though!

That's annoying. If it changes to 'under review' in March, then that would mean we wouldn't get a response until perhaps April, or even the end of April. I would have expected it to change 'under review' by now.

I already have some offers from other universities by now, and I have until May 1st to decide. Hopefully, UofT can get in touch with me before then about the status of my application.

Judging from this thread, many applicants seem to be in a similar predicament. I wouldn't be too worried about it. I guess COVID and the lockdown may possibly be making the admissions team more inefficient at going through the applications. 

I just emailed the admissions office too. Let's see what they say!

Good luck! Hang in there.

22 minutes ago, thenuminous said:

Sorry to hear that. That must have been a frustrating. Know that you're not the only one in this situation, though!

That's annoying. If it changes to 'under review' in March, then that would mean we wouldn't get a response until perhaps April, or even the end of April. I would have expected it to change 'under review' by now.

I already have some offers from other universities by now, and I have until May 1st to decide. Hopefully, UofT can get in touch with me before then about the status of my application.

Judging from this thread, many applicants seem to be in a similar predicament. I wouldn't be too worried about it. I guess COVID and the lockdown may possibly be making the admissions team more inefficient at going through the applications. 

I just emailed the admissions office too. Let's see what they say!

Good luck! Hang in there.

Same here. I have to respond to another offer soon. But I really wanna know the outcome of my application from UofT before I make a final decision. Let's hope they will get back to us soon. Good Luck!

16 hours ago, zooissad said:

Hey! Just wondering, when did you finish completing your application? I finished mine on Jan 29... still waiting to hear back /sigh

On 2/10/2021 at 1:11 AM, a_car said:

Congratulations!!! If you don't mind me asking, when did you finish submitting your application? And what was your CGPA/academic background? :)

I finished my application on Jan 27 I think, and my status is still "Documents Received (excl. official transcript)" - super nervous to hear back!

I got everything completed in mid-December... It’s just really frustrating that I had to wait for more than two months before it was changed to “under review” while some got it in a few weeks after they finished their applications:/ 

1 hour ago, a_car said:

Hey! Just wondering, when did you finish completing your application? I finished mine on Jan 29... still waiting to hear back /sigh

Lol i inserted the wrong quote in my previous reply but yeah i finished it in mid-December...

4 hours ago, neshin said:

Same here. I have to respond to another offer soon. But I really wanna know the outcome of my application from UofT before I make a final decision. Let's hope they will get back to us soon. Good Luck!

Yes, this is the case for me too. My anxiety is off the charts. Good luck to you, mate! 

I am an international applicant and my status is still "documents received." I applied in late January before the Early Decision deadline. I am emailing Andrea today to see what is the approximate timeline for my status to be changed to "Under Review." Hopefully I will not get one of those copied and pasted responses. Please let me know if you guys have any updates! 

I love U of T but my application experience with them has been frustrating so far. From what I have read, they don't seem to be very organized being a school where they specialize in Information management...

On 2/24/2021 at 6:11 AM, a_car said:

I applied on Jan 29th as well. I wonder what is the point of Early Decision if r=our profile still hasn't been reviewed yet after a month. Hopefully we will hear back soon. Good Luck.

By the way, does anyone know the approximate admission rate for the MI program from the point of view of past applicants? I am sure there are stats somewhere but the school of I does not disclose this info. I asked Andrea but she told me to just focus on my own application lmao

On 2/25/2021 at 6:55 AM, hales1013 said:

By the way, does anyone know the approximate admission rate for the MI program from the point of view of past applicants? I am sure there are stats somewhere but the school of I does not disclose this info. I asked Andrea but she told me to just focus on my own application lmao

These numbers might not be accurate anymore, but I saw someone post this on reddit https://www.ischool.utoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Faculty-Council-Package-March-22-2018-updated-Apr4.pdf

from page 19, "In 2017-18, there were 690 applications for 254 positions in the MI program and 177 applications for 42 positions in the MMSt program.", which means back then the acceptance rate was around 37%. I'm not sure if it would be higher or lower now since I think the program has expanded, but also more people are applying, i.e. on reddit someone said that at an admissions event, there were already 1000 international applicants by December, when usually they receive 1000 applicants for the whole year: 

I'm guessing this is also why it's taking so long for all of our applications to move past "Documents Received" (been over a month for me now).

Edited by zzuoft

18 hours ago, zzuoft said:

These numbers might not be accurate anymore, but I saw someone post this on reddit https://www.ischool.utoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Faculty-Council-Package-March-22-2018-updated-Apr4.pdf

from page 19, "In 2017-18, there were 690 applications for 254 positions in the MI program and 177 applications for 42 positions in the MMSt program.", which means back then the acceptance rate was around 37%. I'm not sure if it would be higher or lower now since I think the program has expanded, but also more people are applying, i.e. on reddit someone said that at an admissions event, there were already 1000 international applicants by December, when usually they receive 1000 applicants for the whole year: 

I'm guessing this is also why it's taking so long for all of our applications to move past "Documents Received" (been over a month for me now).

Interesting. That's to be expected. From what I've heard, all programs this year across the board having a greater amount of applicants, apparently. This year is competitive in general for most programs. People are attempting to change their career due to the economic impact COVID-19 has caused. We saw something similar happen during the recession. More people go to graduate school during recessions/economically turbulent times.

Here's a link about how grad school applications are soaring right now: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/grad-school-applications-covid-1.5914766

It's not just the MI program that's experiencing this!

In regards to there being more international applicants for the MI program, the good thing is that if there are more international applicants, it doesn't affect the amount of seats available for domestic applicants, as international applicants create their own seats. Getting into the program (if you are an international applicant) should be less competitive due to this. I'm guessing with things being remote this year, we are seeing a greater influx of international applicants.

Edited by thenuminous

9 hours ago, thenuminous said:

In regards to there being more international applicants for the MI program, the good thing is that if there are more international applicants, it doesn't affect the amount of seats available for domestic applicants, as international applicants create their own seats. Getting into the program (if you are an international applicant) should be less competitive due to this. I'm guessing with things being remote this year, we are seeing a greater influx of international applicants.

Why is it less competitive for international applicants this year? Like they will create more seats due to remote teaching? Kinda confused, would appreciate it if you could elaborate haha :)