UT-Austin MSW Social Work: waiting! to hear! back!

I applied back in October and emailed the grad contact yesterday and got this response:

Thank you for your interest in the Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Your application is in review and you should have a decision within 10 to 15 weeks.

Here's hoping that's a major exaggeration. I haven't been able to find anyone else who's received a response yet though, so maybe they're just extremely delayed thanks to covid?

2 hours ago, NCD365 said:

I applied back in October and emailed the grad contact yesterday and got this response:

Thank you for your interest in the Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Your application is in review and you should have a decision within 10 to 15 weeks.

Here's hoping that's a major exaggeration. I haven't been able to find anyone else who's received a response yet though, so maybe they're just extremely delayed thanks to covid?

Did yours say anything before the status changed to in review? I submitted my last letter in mid-November, but my status has said something like forwarded to graduate committee since late October/Early November. But I don't remember getting an email about the status change or a timeline. 

1 hour ago, MSW-ali said:

Did yours say anything before the status changed to in review? I submitted my last letter in mid-November, but my status has said something like forwarded to graduate committee since late October/Early November. But I don't remember getting an email about the status change or a timeline. 

Mine changed to In Review with Graduate Committee some time in November, but there hasn't been any activity since then. I emailed them yesterday because I was curious to see if they had any updates, but that 10-15 weeks response was all they sent back. I had heard previous students say the priority deadline people should hear back by end of January, but again with covid and all that I think it's delayed their response time.

On 2/1/2021 at 11:57 PM, skay13 said:

Hey all! I just heard today that I was accepted into the MSSW program at UT for the fall. I hope you hear soon, and see you in the fall! 

Congratulations!!! May I ask when you applied and how they told you you'd been accepted?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 11:57 PM, skay13 said:

Hey all! I just heard today that I was accepted into the MSSW program at UT for the fall. I hope you hear soon, and see you in the fall! 

Congrats as well! I applied on Jan 15th, right at the regular cut off time, so I'm not super optimistic, but still hopeful! Mine still says in review.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, CosmicTrophy said:

Recommended and welcomed by the program today. Just received an update in my app from Andrea. It’s official when the Dean approves me. Soon! 

Hi there! I've been lurking on this thread waiting for people to update as I've applied to UT's MSSW program as well! Your updates have been really helpful and I made an account just to say congratulations on getting in!

I'm still waiting to hear back, but I applied on a whim and have had some circumstances change so I'm not sure I'll go now even if I do get in, but I'm very glad for you!!!

My co worker applied before the November 15th deadline and heard back a few weeks ago that she got in! I applied a week before January 15th but i'm still waiting on a decision, I think they actually do take the 10-15 weeks like they email and tell people because hers took about 15 weeks to know something. I'm ready to hear back i'm so anxious! January 15th deadline people i think we will hear back by the end of this month because that would make 15 weeks!

49 minutes ago, Jayla said:

My co worker applied before the November 15th deadline and heard back a few weeks ago that she got in! I applied a week before January 15th but i'm still waiting on a decision, I think they actually do take the 10-15 weeks like they email and tell people because hers took about 15 weeks to know something. I'm ready to hear back i'm so anxious! January 15th deadline people i think we will hear back by the end of this month because that would make 15 weeks!

I'm not too worried! I'm sure every school was slowed down due to COVID. I also applied by the Jan 15th deadline and my application has been forwarded for review.

I got accepted to Texas State, which I really enjoyed interviewing with. But obviously, UT is very prestigious so I'm hoping for there!

I hope to hear something before April 15th at least! I was accepted to UofH which I'm super stoked about, but I have to confirm by the 15th. Wish they provided funding info before June as well... What happens if you commit and then decide not to go?

3 hours ago, brokeactor said:

I hope to hear something before April 15th at least! I was accepted to UofH which I'm super stoked about, but I have to confirm by the 15th. Wish they provided funding info before June as well... What happens if you commit and then decide not to go?

Wow UoH doesn't give you much time to decide! Texas State gave until May 15th.

I googled your question and you CAN decide not to go after committing but it is frowned upon: https://www.quora.com/Is-it-ok-to-accept-admission-at-one-grad-school-and-then-decide-to-go-to-another

I did not get a financial offer with the acceptance letter for TX State.

I had UofH on my list to apply to and even got recs for them, but I had a real life "the dog ate my homework" and missed the deadline. I was kinda bummed but really liked TX State and hope to get into UT as well.

20 hours ago, wellthatsnice said:

Wow UoH doesn't give you much time to decide! Texas State gave until May 15th.

I googled your question and you CAN decide not to go after committing but it is frowned upon: https://www.quora.com/Is-it-ok-to-accept-admission-at-one-grad-school-and-then-decide-to-go-to-another

I did not get a financial offer with the acceptance letter for TX State.

I had UofH on my list to apply to and even got recs for them, but I had a real life "the dog ate my homework" and missed the deadline. I was kinda bummed but really liked TX State and hope to get into UT as well.

Thank you for the info, that was really helpful. Congrats on your acceptance to TX State! You're right, April 15th is just SO SO soon, and especially with NO indication of financial aid. I've heard of a few people asking nicely for an extension to decide, so if UT hasn't gotten back to me by then, I might try that.