Fall 2021 MTS

waltzier97

1 hour ago, RaraAvis said:

Hi all, first time posting here. I got into Emory Candler MTS just recently and the letter said I have until March 1st to accept the offer. I know that other schools won't have the results until mid March, so I'm thinking about emailing to ask for an extension to decide. Is this a good idea or should I wait at least a week for other results to come in? The two week deadline seems way too short to properly weigh my options..

Where else did you apply and for what subfield? 

18 hours ago, Sleepless in skellefteå said:

I know that U of Chicago results could come a month from now, but starting from this date, I will not be able to stop myself from checking the portal every other minute. 

The website says early March so I sure hope they don't make us wait a full month! But yes, starting to get antsy for results

22 hours ago, RaraAvis said:

Hi all, first time posting here. I got into Emory Candler MTS just recently and the letter said I have until March 1st to accept the offer. I know that other schools won't have the results until mid March, so I'm thinking about emailing to ask for an extension to decide. Is this a good idea or should I wait at least a week for other results to come in? The two week deadline seems way too short to properly weigh my options..

I don’t know where else you’re applying to, but yes, I would ask for an extension. I’m planning on asking BU for an extension (their deadline is March 7) because last year HDS decisions came out March 11. Have they given you a financial aid letter yet?

BU wanted us to make a video answering three questions as their merit scholarship app, and I know they’ve looked at mine (thanks YouTube Analytics for showing when you’ve gotten views). So I hope decisions for that come out this week. 

Edited by MaryHildegard

21 hours ago, Deep Fried Angst said:

Where else did you apply and for what subfield? 

41 minutes ago, MaryHildegard said:

I don’t know where else you’re applying to, but yes, I would ask for an extension. I’m planning on asking BU for an extension (their deadline is March 7) because last year HDS decisions came out March 11. Have they given you a financial aid letter yet?

BU wanted us to make a video answering three questions as their merit scholarship app, and I know they’ve looked at mine (thanks YouTube Analytics for showing when you’ve gotten views). So I hope decisions for that come out this week. 

I applied to HDS YDS and UChicago in similar subfields as Emory, and I received the scholarship info along with the acceptance letter. And wow making a video must've been an interesting process--good luck!

1 minute ago, RaraAvis said:

I applied to HDS YDS and UChicago in similar subfields as Emory, and I received the scholarship info along with the acceptance letter. And wow making a video must've been an interesting process--good luck!

Thanks. I didn’t enjoy making a video, but when ‘full tuition + 10k stipend’ is on the table you can’t afford to not make one. They had a bunch of questions you could pick from, and I did ‘which class did you like most at your last institution and why’, ‘what are you looking for in a seminary community’, and then answering why I think I’m qualified for a specific named scholarship. 

Do you have a top choice of the four? 

1 minute ago, MaryHildegard said:

Thanks. I didn’t enjoy making a video, but when ‘full tuition + 10k stipend’ is on the table you can’t afford to not make one. They had a bunch of questions you could pick from, and I did ‘which class did you like most at your last institution and why’, ‘what are you looking for in a seminary community’, and then answering why I think I’m qualified for a specific named scholarship. 

Do you have a top choice of the four? 

Not a fan of videos myself, but at least the questions are interesting enough. Makes me think about how I would answer them myself lol. My top choice is definitely YDS because their program was the reason I even got interested in MTS from the start. How about you?

Just now, RaraAvis said:

Not a fan of videos myself, but at least the questions are interesting enough. Makes me think about how I would answer them myself lol. My top choice is definitely YDS because their program was the reason I even got interested in MTS from the start. How about you?

Mine is HDS, partly because I live in Massachusetts. I applied to YDS as well, though. (And Catholic University of America, in DC, which I think would be a good fit for my topic but I’ve heard their funding is really bad). What do you like about YDS? 

2 minutes ago, MaryHildegard said:

Mine is HDS, partly because I live in Massachusetts. I applied to YDS as well, though. (And Catholic University of America, in DC, which I think would be a good fit for my topic but I’ve heard their funding is really bad). What do you like about YDS? 

I'm from MA too!--been around Boston for too long, so HDS is my second choice haha. As for YDS, I'm especially interested in the arts and the courses they had fit my interests the most. Plus, I feel like my personal statement for YDS came out more naturally than for other schools (hopefully my writing reflected this!).

3 minutes ago, RaraAvis said:

I'm from MA too!--been around Boston for too long, so HDS is my second choice haha. As for YDS, I'm especially interested in the arts and the courses they had fit my interests the most. Plus, I feel like my personal statement for YDS came out more naturally than for other schools (hopefully my writing reflected this!).

Since I’ve submitted my app I’ve been thinking about how I’m also interested in the liturgical arts in addition to the topic I applied for, so if I do somehow get into Yale I’ll consider them more now. 

I am, to be honest, anxious about making friends, so I applied to HDS and BU so at least I know I can hang out with people I went to high school/undergrad with. 

2 minutes ago, MaryHildegard said:

Since I’ve submitted my app I’ve been thinking about how I’m also interested in the liturgical arts in addition to the topic I applied for, so if I do somehow get into Yale I’ll consider them more now. 

I am, to be honest, anxious about making friends, so I applied to HDS and BU so at least I know I can hang out with people I went to high school/undergrad with. 

Crossing fingers for both of us! From the vibe I got from attending virtual events, I feel like the div community has a place for everyone, so I wouldn't worry too much. If we ever cross paths in real life, I'll be sure to say hi!?

Congrats to all who are hearing good news from their programs!

Accepted into BU's MTS in Ecological Theology & Ethics program with a full tuition scholarship from their video interviews. What an interesting process that was! Also accepted into PTS's MDiv program and haven't yet heard on funding.

Waiting to hear from YDS's MA in Religion & Ecology and Duke Divinity's MDiv (conc. in Faith, Food, & Environmental Justice).

1 hour ago, LakeSuperior said:

Congrats to all who are hearing good news from their programs!

Accepted into BU's MTS in Ecological Theology & Ethics program with a full tuition scholarship from their video interviews. What an interesting process that was! Also accepted into PTS's MDiv program and haven't yet heard on funding.

Waiting to hear from YDS's MA in Religion & Ecology and Duke Divinity's MDiv (conc. in Faith, Food, & Environmental Justice).

Congrats! 

I still haven’t heard back from BU about scholarships :/. I know they watched my video because I could see on YouTube analytics that people had watched it. I wish they could at least tell me I’m not getting it. 

Edited by MaryHildegard

14 minutes ago, Chicago Guy said:

Just accepted at Notre Dame! Received a phone call. Everyone in ND's MTS program gets a full ride.

Still waiting for HDS, YDS, and Duke.

If you got into one of the other schools with say 75% or 80% funding, would you pick them over ND? That happened to one of my friends and he picked ND (he’s a first year MTS right now), but they were also more aligned with his research interests. 

Edited by MaryHildegard

1 minute ago, MaryHildegard said:

If you got into one of the other schools with say 75% or 80% funding, would you pick them over ND? That happened to one of my friends and he picked ND (he’s a first year MTS right now), but they were also more align with his research interests. 

I would struggle to consider another program without full funding. 

Edited by Chicago Guy

5 hours ago, Chicago Guy said:

Just accepted at Notre Dame! Received a phone call. Everyone in ND's MTS program gets a full ride.

Still waiting for HDS, YDS, and Duke.

Wow wow congrats! If you got into Notre Dame I'm sure you'll get into the other programs as well because Notre Dame to my understanding is the most competitive MTS programs. Congrats again!

I got a full tuition scholarship at BU! I’m so excited. Still going to wait and see if I hear from HDS and YDS, but honestly if I got in without full tuition I think I’ll pick BU. 

Also, @Chicago Guy, I realized I didn’t say congratulations, so congratulations! I know ND is a super hard program to get in to, way to go. 

Edited by MaryHildegard

2 hours ago, MaryHildegard said:

I got a full tuition scholarship at BU! I’m so excited. Still going to wait and see if I hear from HDS and YDS, but honestly if I got in without full tuition I think I’ll pick BU. 

That's fantastic news! Your wait is over ha. Sounds like BU has just been trickling out that scholarship info (they called me last week).

@MaryHildegard What attracts you to BU over your other options?