Fall 2021 MTS

waltzier97

12 minutes ago, LakeSuperior said:

That's fantastic news! Your wait is over ha. Sounds like BU has just been trickling out that scholarship info (they called me last week).

@MaryHildegard What attracts you to BU over your other options?

I’m a big fan of free. I don’t think religion is a field where I can justify more debt for prestige. I already have about 24k of undergrad debt and I would like to avoid adding more. 

I haven’t yet accepted my offer, but I don’t think I can realistically expect full tuition at HDS or YDS. 

Edited by MaryHildegard

20 hours ago, MaryHildegard said:

I’m a big fan of free. I don’t think religion is a field where I can justify more debt for prestige. I already have about 24k of undergrad debt and I would like to avoid adding more. 

I haven’t yet accepted my offer, but I don’t think I can realistically expect full tuition at HDS or YDS. 

I don’t really disagree with this sentiment but I will point out that religion is also a field where converting a Lower prestige masters into a PhD acceptance with a stipend is very very difficult. The top 5 schools take mostly prestige candidates. But there are stipends beyond the top 5 for sure.

I definitely agree that loans for religion degrees are a bad idea, but I’d really have to think twice when I look back between free at BU or loans at YDS. I would probably take the YDS and pay the price. But then, my masters was lower prestige than BU so who knows which schools unlock which doors. Fit seems to be the deal maker lately.

1 hour ago, thiscalltoarms said:

I don’t really disagree with this sentiment but I will point out that religion is also a field where converting a Lower prestige masters into a PhD acceptance with a stipend is very very difficult. The top 5 schools take mostly prestige candidates. But there are stipends beyond the top 5 for sure.

I definitely agree that loans for religion degrees are a bad idea, but I’d really have to think twice when I look back between free at BU or loans at YDS. I would probably take the YDS and pay the price. But then, my masters was lower prestige than BU so who knows which schools unlock which doors. Fit seems to be the deal maker lately.

Ugh, I know you’re right. But I’m also not totally certain I want to do a PhD (but I would like to stay in Boston, where BU is quite well regarded as an overall university). 

I have a friend who got into ND, so a full ride, but only got 75% from HDS, which doesn’t make me feel confident about my chances since my stats are worse. 

Just now, MaryHildegard said:

Ugh, I know you’re right. But I’m also not totally certain I want to do a PhD (but I would like to stay in Boston, where BU is quite well regarded as an overall university). 

I have a friend who got into ND, so a full ride, but only got 75% from HDS, which doesn’t make me feel confident about my chances since my stats are worse. 

Oh, for sure. I lived in Boston for years and love the BU SOT faculty in particular. I'm not sure that I personally see BU-SOT as much of step down from HDS but I do see YDS as significantly above both- at least for me. And to be totally honest, it is really really really hard to pick a city to stay in for a PHD. You pretty much have to go where they want you. 

If PhD isn't already the priority, then BU for free sounds ideal.

I'd like to solicit the group's opinion on the pros/cons of the four schools I applied to:

• Notre Dame MTS
  • Duke MTS
  • HDS MTS
  • Yale MAr

Assume political theology / ethics for all programs. Disregard questions of funding (At this point, I'm interested in a comparison only of the pure academics/career prospects).

Which would you choose? Which do you feel offer the clearest route toward further doctoral study?

On 2/21/2021 at 7:19 PM, Chicago Guy said:

I'd like to solicit the group's opinion on the pros/cons of the four schools I applied to:

• Notre Dame MTS
  • Duke MTS
  • HDS MTS
  • Yale MAr

Assume political theology / ethics for all programs. Disregard questions of funding (At this point, I'm interested in a comparison only of the pure academics/career prospects).

Which would you choose? Which do you feel offer the clearest route toward further doctoral study?

Depending on your aspirations after schooling:

Yale

Notre Dame

HDS

Duke

If you have a strong Catholic identity and want to teach in that environment, it could boost ND above Yale. Likewise, if you have a strong Methodist identity and want to leverage Duke's name, it might move Duke up.

"Political theology" and "ethics" is very broad so it's hard to get into specifics. That said, M* degrees are for finding specialization, so you're fine!

8 minutes ago, xypathos said:

Depending on your aspirations after schooling:

Yale

Notre Dame

HDS

Duke

If you have a strong Catholic identity and want to teach in that environment, it could boost ND above Yale. Likewise, if you have a strong Methodist identity and want to leverage Duke's name, it might move Duke up.

"Political theology" and "ethics" is very broad so it's hard to get into specifics. That said, M* degrees are for finding specialization, so you're fine!

Thanks for weighing in on this!

15 hours ago, theofan said:

Anyone else get into ND MTS? I have a friend who applied and hasn't received any news so he's kinda nervous...

But I did just see in the results search that someone was waitlisted by ND today, so maybe a more clear image is developing. Still nothing on my end... 

On 2/4/2021 at 4:12 AM, MaryHildegard said:

Hey, same! Applied to BU, HDS, YDS, and planning to apply to Catholic University of America for their MA in religion and culture.

I received an acceptance email from BU yesterday with a 70% scholarship, which I’m very excited about. 

I feel a little self conscious reading this thread — you all have amazing stats!

-3.4, degree in Economics from an okay state flagship

-Had a research assistantship (in Economics)

-I’m interested in nuns, and I was an intern in a convent for 4 months, which I think is unique. 

-mediocre Quant and AW but 168 Verbal 

-Would like to believe I have good writing and LORs. One of my letters was from a Methodist minister and professor whose class I sat in on (did not receive credit for) at Sewanee, which I wonder if it helped at BU since they are Methodist. 

at which convent did you intern? i had a similar experience! 

32 minutes ago, dasiena said:

at which convent did you intern? i had a similar experience! 

The Community of St Mary in Tennessee. It was supposed to be for the whole year, but I was having a hard time with it, so I didn’t go back after Christmas. 

@Chicago Guy, are you interested in doing your PhD at ND? I’ve heard they use their MTS program to groom PhD candidates. 

1 minute ago, MaryHildegard said:

The Community of St Mary in Tennessee. It was supposed to be for the whole year, but I was having a hard time with it, so I didn’t go back after Christmas. 

@Chicago Guy, are you interested in doing your PhD at ND? I’ve heard they use their MTS program to groom PhD candidates. 

Yes - very much so! That's a big factor in my decision.

3 hours ago, waltzier97 said:

But I did just see in the results search that someone was waitlisted by ND today, so maybe a more clear image is developing. Still nothing on my end... 

Oh thanks, how did you see that in the results? If I search Notre Dame theology no MTS results come up for me for 2021. 

24 minutes ago, theofan said:

Oh thanks, how did you see that in the results? If I search Notre Dame theology no MTS results come up for me for 2021. 

I've just been searching Notre Dame in order to see what if any news is coming out of the Dome.

Okay, so looking at the results page:

Oxford, Cambridge, Fordham, BC, Villanova, Emory, and BU have sent decisions, and we know ND has because someone in here has got one. I also know people who have been offered acceptance to Princeton and Nashotah (for their mdiv program).

So we're waiting on:

Chicago, Harvard, Yale, CUA, Duke, Loyola? Anyone apply somewhere else? 

If previous years are any indication, Duke decisions will be out on Feb. 28th, HDS decisions will be out on the 11th, YDS on the 15th, and the other programs don't have enough results listed to be sure. 

58 minutes ago, MaryHildegard said:

Oxford, Cambridge, Fordham, BC, Villanova, Emory, and BU have sent decisions, and we know ND has because someone in here has got one. I also know people who have been offered acceptance to Princeton and Nashotah (for their mdiv program).

So we're waiting on:

If previous years are any indication, Duke decisions will be out on Feb. 28th, HDS decisions will be out on the 11th, YDS on the 15th, and the other programs don't have enough results listed to be sure. 

The 28th this year is a Sunday, so presumably Duke might release tomorrow or Monday.

1 hour ago, MaryHildegard said:

In the past, it seems Chicago has released results in both late February and March ? does anyone have any knowledge about this? I know on their website it says mid-March...  but I'm impatient. ? Hoping it could possibly happen tomorrow or next week?

I'm also waiting on HDS...

Edited by dasiena

11 hours ago, MaryHildegard said:

So we're waiting on:

Yale indicated, when I sent in my application, that decisions will be out by the 15th. Hope this helps.

Duke just called to congratulate me on being accepted to their MDiv and offered a 50% tuition scholarship! For those wondering, Duke's admissions team is calling accepted applicants today and will send acceptance emails in the afternoon.

I'm over the moon right now!