Fall 2021 MTS

waltzier97

7 hours ago, dasiena said:

Does anyone know if they've send PhD acceptances for HDS or Chicago Div? Don't see any...

You may wish to post your query to the Ph.D. forum. I think there are quite a few applicants reading that thread. But in case you're wondering, Ph.D. results from the Harvard Committee of the Study of Religion program are out.

4 hours ago, MaryHildegard said:

Harvard religion PhDs are not under the auspices of HDS. 

Yep, since they abolished the Th.D. many years ago. I was supposed to apply in the 2019 cycle, but was not too sure.

Congrats to all those getting accepts out there! Sending my accompanying love to those not getting yeses. Lmk if anyone needs a pal to chat with about this!

News for me: Villanova has offered a full scholarship and $8K stipend per year! Still waiting on BC GA updates (would be full tuition and a $10K stipend. I was also offered a contract to teach at my current school next year!

I think Boston is my number one, but I would really like the money of a GA to make it competitive with the Villanova offer. Any thoughts about these programs outside of money?

6 hours ago, Sleepless in skellefteå said:

I received my financial-aid package really quickly as well, as I understood it I will get 100% tuition and a $8 000 stipend per year! Really excited. 

is this for MTS ? or MDIV?

47 minutes ago, dasein86 said:

wow congrats! :)  may i ask your background( which school, gpa, gre, etc..) ?

Thank you a lot, and of course! :) I did my undergrad in religious studies and theology at the University of Uppsala in my native country of Sweden, which has a pretty good reputation internationally. The grading system here is so different that it is kind of hard to determine a GPA. However, I did one year of my undergrad at the University of Washington in Seattle, where I averaged 3.9, did an undergraduate research project that was published in an journal and interned at a museum. All my LoR writers were professors I worked with during this exchange. Before going to college, I also took part in a NGO-project concerning religious literacy among Swedish youth. 

28 minutes ago, Sleepless in skellefteå said:

Thank you a lot, and of course! :) I did my undergrad in religious studies and theology at the University of Uppsala in my native country of Sweden, which has a pretty good reputation internationally. The grading system here is so different that it is kind of hard to determine a GPA. However, I did one year of my undergrad at the University of Washington in Seattle, where I averaged 3.9, did an undergraduate research project that was published in an journal and interned at a museum. All my LoR writers were professors I worked with during this exchange. Before going to college, I also took part in a NGO-project concerning religious literacy among Swedish youth. 

wow thank you so much! thats rly impressive :)  where did you get your Mdiv tho? doesnt HDS require Mdiv for MTS degree?

Edited by dasein86

21 minutes ago, dasein86 said:

wow thank you so much! thats rly impressive :)  where did you get your Mdiv tho? doesnt HDS require Mdiv for MTS degree?

Thank you! Not as far as I am aware, their website states that:

''Is a religion or theology major required to apply for the MDiv or MTS program?

Our applicants have completed degrees in a wide variety of disciplines. However, the great majority of our applicants currently stem from humanities and/or social sciences backgrounds.'' 

https://hds.harvard.edu/admissions-aid/frequently-asked-questions

8 minutes ago, Sleepless in skellefteå said:

Thank you! Not as far as I am aware, their website states that:

''Is a religion or theology major required to apply for the MDiv or MTS program?

Our applicants have completed degrees in a wide variety of disciplines. However, the great majority of our applicants currently stem from humanities and/or social sciences backgrounds.'' 

https://hds.harvard.edu/admissions-aid/frequently-asked-questions

thank you so much! i got confused with Thm at HDS :) !

Started to look at housing just in case, and HOLY MOLY housing around Harvard is no joke. I'm an international student so I was hoping to get something university affiliated but it's crazy expensive not to mention a lottery system, so I don't even know where to start. Potentially HDS-bound people or HDS graduates, any ideas on how to proceed with housing? ?

1 hour ago, Joey_Jawad said:

Started to look at housing just in case, and HOLY MOLY housing around Harvard is no joke. I'm an international student so I was hoping to get something university affiliated but it's crazy expensive not to mention a lottery system, so I don't even know where to start. Potentially HDS-bound people or HDS graduates, any ideas on how to proceed with housing? ?

Depends on how much time you’re willing to spend on the train every day, but there are parts of Boston (Dorchester) that are on the subway line that goes to Harvard that are way less expensive. Or look at Medford or Somerville. 

Also, there are tons and tons of grad students in the Boston area — see if you can find a house share? Like where you’d be renting one room in a 4 or 5 bedroom house. 

I’m really hoping I can get a space in the BU Theology student house, which has room for, uh, 20 people, so my odds aren’t great. They said decisions for that would be out on the 24th. 

Edited by MaryHildegard

1 hour ago, MaryHildegard said:

Depends on how much time you’re willing to spend on the train every day, but there are parts of Boston (Dorchester) that are on the subway line that goes to Harvard that are way less expensive. Or look at Medford or Somerville. 

Also, there are tons and tons of grad students in the Boston area — see if you can find a house share? Like where you’d be renting one room in a 4 or 5 bedroom house. 

I’m really hoping I can get a space in the BU Theology student house, which has room for, uh, 20 people, so my odds aren’t great. They said decisions for that would be out on the 24th. 

I have tried to get an idea of average rents in Dorchester. As I will be attempting a long distance relationship with my girlfriend, the dream would be to afford a studio so she could live with me when she visited without any problems. Do you believe it would be feasible to find a studio in Dorchester for around $1 300 or am I naive?

36 minutes ago, Sleepless in skellefteå said:

I have tried to get an idea of average rents in Dorchester. As I will be attempting a long distance relationship with my girlfriend, the dream would be to afford a studio so she could live with me when she visited without any problems. Do you believe it would be feasible to find a studio in Dorchester for around $1 300 or am I naive?

Maybe. There are studios priced that low but they’re rare. 1500 a month would give you way more options. There’s a ton of Boston housing Facebook groups you should join. Also be aware that not everywhere in Dorchester is near the Red Line. And that yes this is a major American city and there is gun violence (Cambridge has shootings too). Not that you have to worry personally, but someone is gonna get shot relatively close to you at some point.  

Also, on that, you may at some point hear people talk about ‘the Smiley Face Killer’. People think there’s a serial killer going around attacking young men in Boston. It isn’t true. What happens is young men get drunk and fall in a body of water and drown. Pretty much every part of the city that you’d want to drink in is near water. I know people on here are not dumb 19 year old BC students, but just felt like I should warn people. 

Edited by MaryHildegard

On 2/27/2021 at 9:12 AM, theofan said:

Hey thanks alot!  I will let my friend know...another friend of mine just got into the ND PhD theology program, so at least some good news for me. 

Do you know what concentration your friend is who was accepted into the PhD program?