Fall 2021 Clinical/Counseling Acceptances/Rejections/Waitlists

PsychApplicant2

Hi all, I figured a separate thread like this would be helpful in case anyone would like to know the timelines for programs sending acceptances/waitlists/rejections. We can follow the similar format of the Interview Invites thread, as follows:

School:

Type(PhD/PsyD; Clinical/Counseling)

Track: (Child, Adult, General, etc.)

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection:

Type of Notification: Email from POI, phone call, etc.

Date Notified:

DM for POI: Yes/No

Be kind, and respect those who might not want to share their PI initials. Good luck everyone!

Edited by PsychApplicant2

Thank you for starting this thread!

Has anybody heard back from Sam Houston or University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa post-interview (Clinical Psychology PhD)? If accepted, do you mind sharing POI or DM POI info?

- A fellow nerve-racked applicant

Edited by Viking93

Also wondering about University of Alabama Tuscaloosa post-interview! Curious what concentration/ POI has sent out anything yet? Looks like two have heard, one with the initials AG. 

Have also been waitlisted at UVA Curry (Clinical & School Ph.D.) without an interview and wondering if people who had interviews have heard anything yet or if this waitlist often moves at all? 

- Thank you!

Hi all!

I saw that someone posted that they heard from University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, but I wasn't able to see an update comment with the concentration and their PI. Has anyone else heard from them? I know that the first round of offers go out this week and this is my top program so I'm pretty anxious, so any information provided would be appreciated!

- Thanks!

School: U of Utah

Type: Clinical PhD

Track: Child

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: Unofficial acceptance. POI made an offer but said the department was still working out funding. She said junior faculty are often given priority for departmentally funded slots (POI is senior faculty). If anyone received an offer from U of Utah, please DM me!

Type of Notification: Email from POI 

Date Notified: Feb. 2nd

DM for POI: Yes

8 minutes ago, sweetater said:

Anyone who applied to PGSP PsyD Consortium regular decision hear back yet?

No! I applied close to the deadline and haven't hear back. I reached out to the admissions team, and they informed me that my application was under review and interviews are still being sent out. Fingers crossed.

Remember that the deadline for ALL programs and offers is April 15. Programs cannot require you to make a decision before that date. If they try or pressure you to do so, they are violating APA policies. However, general etiquette and procedures for applicants is to not hold multiple offers for a long time. Generally, if you receive two offers, but may also still be waiting on others, after a week or so it is expected that you choose to hold on to the offer you prefer and decline the other. Then, if you receive another offer, you can do the same thing, and keep repeating the process until you make a final decision.

1 hour ago, DrApple said:

Remember that the deadline for ALL programs and offers is April 15. Programs cannot require you to make a decision before that date. If they try or pressure you to do so, they are violating APA policies. However, general etiquette and procedures for applicants is to not hold multiple offers for a long time. Generally, if you receive two offers, but may also still be waiting on others, after a week or so it is expected that you choose to hold on to the offer you prefer and decline the other. Then, if you receive another offer, you can do the same thing, and keep repeating the process until you make a final decision.

This is so true, a school emailed me wanting a deposit which seems so messed up. 

I was waitlisted at the University of Northern Colorado as a “middle alternate” for their Counseling Psych PhD program. This is the only school I received an interview for so I am hoping to get off the waitlist, but am not sure what the likelihood of this will be. The Director of Clinical Training relayed to me that based on where I am on the list he would not be surprised if I was offered a position. I am not sure if anyone has accepted their initial offers yet or has taken themself of the waiting list? I genuinely enjoyed this program and would love the opportunity to attend versus taking another gap year. I HATE being stuck in the in between!!! 

On 2/11/2021 at 7:45 AM, Psychedout2020 said:

I was waitlisted at the University of Northern Colorado as a “middle alternate” for their Counseling Psych PhD program. This is the only school I received an interview for so I am hoping to get off the waitlist, but am not sure what the likelihood of this will be. The Director of Clinical Training relayed to me that based on where I am on the list he would not be surprised if I was offered a position. I am not sure if anyone has accepted their initial offers yet or has taken themself of the waiting list? I genuinely enjoyed this program and would love the opportunity to attend versus taking another gap year. I HATE being stuck in the in between!!! 

I totally feel this. I am currently the first alternate at my first choice school (CSU in Fort Collins!) and I am dying to get in. It comes down to one person declining the offer. Knowing that you have a chance is just enough information to cause you to continually overthink it, imo. The limbo effect is so taxing!

School: University of Denver

Type: Clinical PsyD

Track: Clinical Psychology

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: Choice between interview dates

Type of Notification: Email from admissions

Date Notified: Feb 4th 2021

School: Loyola University Maryland

Type: Clinical PsyD

Track: Clinical Psychology

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: Interview invite 

Type of Notification: Email from admissions

Date Notified: Jan 15th

DM for POI: No POI assigned yet

School: Northern Illinois University

Type: Clinical PhD

Track: Trauma 

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: Interview invite 

Type of Notification: Email from POI 

Date Notified: Jan 11th

On 2/18/2021 at 10:52 PM, Coffeecup123 said:

Anyone have a template email on what to say to an offer when still waiting to finish out other interviews?

I personally sent an email saying: “I am so excited about the possibility of coming to [the school that made me an offer]!” Then wrote a sentence or two reiterating what I liked about it and affirming that I had a good experience interviewing. To close I just honestly told them, “I have one other interview in two weeks that I want to attend before I make a decision, but I will respond to the offer as soon as I can.”

I think it’s best to just be transparent. They know you must be waiting on other offers, otherwise you would accept right away.

53 minutes ago, raindr0p said:

I personally sent an email saying: “I am so excited about the possibility of coming to [the school that made me an offer]!” Then wrote a sentence or two reiterating what I liked about it and affirming that I had a good experience interviewing. To close I just honestly told them, “I have one other interview in two weeks that I want to attend before I make a decision, but I will respond to the offer as soon as I can.”

I think it’s best to just be transparent. They know you must be waiting on other offers, otherwise you would accept right away.

Would you mind sharing where you are accepted/where your top choice is? Totally understand if the answer is no.